gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 11:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic question  (Read 6769 times)

Offline TC

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Oxalic question
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 09:18 AM »
TC I usually use a 3 ring 1m paddling pool. it's needs to be distorted slightly to get a frame to fit but that also helps in reducing the volume of fluid needed to cover the frame.
tubs full of water placed in and around the frame will also help reduce the volume needed and therefore the citric acid is needed.

Regarding the lifting mentioned above, the chrome HAS to be already lifting in order for the water to get underneath it!
citric acid will not penetrate secure chrome!  There are a ton of thread on here with successful results and I personally have had fabulous results on numerous occasions.

contrary to duff info you may read on the net aluminium foil WILL remove rust BUT the chrome and rust particles becomes lodged in the foil turning it into a harsh abrasive.
it's great on axles, spokes etc but WILL DEFINITELY scratch your chrome.

As with anything, do your research. The Tech and resto pages on this site are some of the best out there and a wealth of information  :daumenhoch:

Citric acid or oxalic acid will only remove rust! if the rust is the only thing holding your bike together it will not magically rechrome you bike for you.

We must also remember that not all chrome is equal. some is laid down over copper then nickle, other stuff is just laid down as cheaply as possible. As with most things prep and the environment is key!

All things to bear in mind when dealing with chrome  :daumenhoch:

This is my how to thread  :daumenhoch

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178383.0.html

PERFECT thanks buddy

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:26 AM »
There you go grimweld... tin foil = duff information.  :idiot2:

Did I not just ask you to tone it down?

So to summarise:

Aluminium foil can be used with water to remove rust but risks scratching the chrome.

Citric acid can be used to remove rust, but risks removing the chrome entirely

This correct?

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Citric acid does not lift chrome.
The frame in question had issues with the chrome (that's why the owner tried to recover it).
Citric acid, and other weak organic acids, is harmless. Yes the word 'acid' sounds scarey but it in this case it is weak lemon juice.
Citric acid is the primarly cleaning agent in most eco-friendly cleaners.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55 AM »

You're obviously the font of all bmx knowledge so I'll step aside and leave you to it mate.  ;)
In fact tbh... makes me wonder how this site has functioned without your superior knowledge all these years.  :bellend:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 12:29 PM »

You're obviously the font of all bmx knowledge so I'll step aside and leave you to it mate.  ;)
In fact tbh... makes me wonder how this site has functioned without your superior knowledge all these years.  :bellend:

Nice, cheers mate

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 12:40 PM »
The frame in question had issues with the chrome (that's why the owner tried to recover it).
Citric acid, and other weak organic acids, is harmless. Yes the word 'acid' sounds scarey but it in this case it is weak lemon juice.

So it doesn't lift the chrome. But if it does, which is possible, there were already issues and that is what caused it. Think I've got it now.

fistblump

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Oxy bath will not damage the Chrome. Done it loads of times with no effect on decals  :)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02 PM »

So it doesn't lift the chrome. But if it does, which is impossible, there were already issues and that is what caused it. Think I've got it now.

fistblump

Fixed that for you ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline tfi_friday

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 05:57 AM »
Used citric many times on bikes, full chrome frames (87 pft) and also with decals and paint (88 master).

Chrome, decals and paint all survived with zero issues.

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 10:31 AM »
So to do some small parts (maybe headset cups etc) do we need just the one bottle of 'Youngs Citric Acid' (is this the home brew stuff?) and a small container. Then just bang in the item and the acid (do you dilute it?) Sorry for being such a dummy, never tried it before, i have rubbed with tinfoil though!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Water and a tablespoon of citric should do the trick.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Okay thanks, I'll give it a try!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Used Oxalic acid loads of times (as much as a whole bottle at a time with no issues whatsoever & soaking the parts for 24hrs at a time. It doesn't touch the decals as its not strong at all & will only at eat rust,  so any frame thats had its chrome eaten into will have had massive issues beforehand.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx