gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975495 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 09:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic question  (Read 6767 times)

Offline TC

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Oxalic question
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Does an oxalic bath damage the decals?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: Oxalic question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Just use Citric acid! cheaps as chips, works a treat, doesnt damage anything and safe enough to drink  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:42 PM »
I'm sure someone in another thread used citric acid and it lifted the chrome..
I've never used personally.

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Tin foil, water, elbow grease

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Don't use tinfoil... oxalic or citric acid will both work fine (citric is safer). It won't affect the stickers or lift your chrome.
 :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:55 PM »
'Well it's had it's (citric) bath but the next day the chrome had lifted in places... '

Just copied this from another thread, not saying you guys aren't correct! Assume the risk is low, but seems like there is a risk. Unless soemthing else made the chrome lift..

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:01 PM »
'Well it's had it's (citric) bath but the next day the chrome had lifted in places... '

Just copied this from another thread, not saying you guys aren't correct! Assume the risk is low, but seems like there is a risk. Unless soemthing else made the chrome lift..

I think the guy then proceeded to pay circa £500 to have it re-chromed.. so be careful buddy

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Will only lift the chrome if its loose in the first place
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline TC

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:05 PM »

That’s what i thought!
But it doesn’t touch the decals right?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 07:20 PM »
nope  it's no more corrosive then regular water to decals

Offline Jon1971

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I done an old mongoose recently. Decals were fine. No damage and I had the frame submerged  for about 24hrs. Oxalic bath.

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 10:05 PM »

I think that's bollocks tbh.. how do you know if it loose?

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I wouldn't submerge a single frame of mine in any acid! I'd take some aluminium foil and gently rub it with some water. I'd gently understand how to recover it's beauty. I would never, ever submerge my frame in acid!

Just saying.. fistblump

It's a lazy way of recovering a frame!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:11 PM by Griswold »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16 PM »
geees, you try and help people....

OP if you rub your frame with tin foil there are plenty of threads on here pointing you to chromers assuming you have the cashola  ;)

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 10:27 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,191958.0.html

Speak to that guy. He had to rechrome his frame after citric bath apparently..

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 11:31 PM »
Just use Citric acid! cheaps as chips, works a treat, doesnt damage anything and safe enough to drink  :daumenhoch:

Totally agree with clint,never ever had any problems this way  :daumenhoch:

Tin foil,coke/water and elbow grease total waste of time and effort  :idiot2: but if you have time to waste crack on its your frame to restore whichever way you wish  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 11:42 PM »

You've found one thread on this forum where the chrome has lifted after a citric/oxalic bath (the chrome obviously had issues in the first place). Dig a little deeper and you could probably find hundreds of threads on here where members have used this method without any issues whatsoever... it is recommended because it has been tried and tested many times. ???
Btw if you wanna use tin foil to remove rust from a chrome frame you crack on mate but giving duff infomation out to fellow members on here isn't the done thing so do us all a favour and keep your old wives tales to yourself... thanks.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline TC

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 06:59 AM »
Anybody used a paddling pool to bath a frame in?

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 07:25 AM »

You've found one thread on this forum where the chrome has lifted after a citric/oxalic bath (the chrome obviously had issues in the first place). Dig a little deeper and you could probably find hundreds of threads on here where members have used this method without any issues whatsoever... it is recommended because it has been tried and tested many times. ???
Btw if you wanna use tin foil to remove rust from a chrome frame you crack on mate but giving duff infomation out to fellow members on here isn't the done thing so do us all a favour and keep your old wives tales to yourself... thanks.  :daumenhoch:

One is enough for me. Wouldn't risk it with any of my frames..

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 07:31 AM »

Duff information? Just repeating what another member recently said. There is clearly a risk that some members didn't mention at all! That's the duff information mate. Nothing I have said is duff thanks. Find one word.

Fact is citric acid risks lifting your chrome! That's all. It's a fact. Not duff information!
 :daumenhoch:

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 07:56 AM »

'Old wives tales'?
I think you want to tone it down a bit buddy!!!

Next time you recommend citric acid, make sure you highlight the risk or I will!

Offline Griswold

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:00 AM »

Totally agree with clint,never ever had any problems this way  :daumenhoch:

Tin foil,coke/water and elbow grease total waste of time and effort  :idiot2: but if you have time to waste crack on its your frame to restore whichever way you wish  :daumenhoch:

It's not a waste of time if it saves the original chrome  :idiot2:

It's a bit authoritarian around here?

Offline TC

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Back on topic guys

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 08:54 AM »
TC I usually use a 3 ring 1m paddling pool. it's needs to be distorted slightly to get a frame to fit but that also helps in reducing the volume of fluid needed to cover the frame.
tubs full of water placed in and around the frame will also help reduce the volume needed and therefore the citric acid is needed.

Regarding the lifting mentioned above, the chrome HAS to be already lifting in order for the water to get underneath it!
citric acid will not penetrate secure chrome!  There are a ton of thread on here with successful results and I personally have had fabulous results on numerous occasions.

contrary to duff info you may read on the net aluminium foil WILL remove rust BUT the chrome and rust particles becomes lodged in the foil turning it into a harsh abrasive.
it's great on axles, spokes etc but WILL DEFINITELY scratch your chrome.

As with anything, do your research. The Tech and resto pages on this site are some of the best out there and a wealth of information  :daumenhoch:

Citric acid or oxalic acid will only remove rust! if the rust is the only thing holding your bike together it will not magically rechrome you bike for you.

We must also remember that not all chrome is equal. some is laid down over copper then nickle, other stuff is just laid down as cheaply as possible. As with most things prep and the environment is key!

All things to bear in mind when dealing with chrome  :daumenhoch:

This is my how to thread  :daumenhoch

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178383.0.html

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:57 AM by oldschoolace »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09 AM »
There you go grimweld... tin foil = duff information.  :idiot2:

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx