gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 07:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!  (Read 34474 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: 2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 07:31 PM »
top Stuff Mick  :daumenhoch:       look at you ..... riders behind you  :LolLolLolLol:   'kin A mate ,  well done  :daumenhoch:

nice to see yer proper fizzogg , was begining to think you'd had that helmet welded on :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Am getting there mate - slowly but surely (albeit more slowly than surely!!) and yeah, I am human under that Stormtrooper helmet! :daumenhoch:

Have been feeling under the weather this past week in two respects - suffering from a niggly cough and the rainy season has been living up to its name. There are 2 races this weekend at Osaka and Niigata but the forecast is looking a bit iffy, so we'll see what pans out. If the Niigata race is rained off it'll be postponed to the following Sunday. There's also another race in Osaka that day, so I'm hoping that I can get to at least one of these 4 races!!
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 08:29 PM »
It’s 4:30am here and I’m just about to leave for Osaka!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Despite the threat of rain, the Oizumi race went ahead on Sunday which meant I could finally get to race there for the first time. Unlike Kanayasan, the track attracts a lot of riders - much like my old haunt at Midoriyama. But unlike Midoriyama, both the track and venue as a whole are much smaller, with no cars (the track is in the middle of a huge public park), meaning that everyone camps down under the trees around the start hill, adding to the atmosphere. I’ll post some pics in the Osaka Calling thread but I really liked Oizumi, including the track, which is action-packed with a super-long first berm. But perhaps more importantly there's nothing too scary (unlike Kishiwada) and it's shorter than the energy-sapping Kanayasan. :daumenhoch:

However, one thing that could be improved is the organisation of classes, with the over-30s being lumped together rather than separated into Novice and Masters classes, as at Midoriyama. On this day both of these were mixed to make a total of 16 riders, split into 2 full gates! I was in the first of these and I knew I was in trouble when we were lining up in the holding area and I noticed that everyone else was riding with clips! That concern turned out to be the case when I was beaten to the first jump let alone the first berm in all three motos! I was fairly close to the 7th placed guy throughout the day, but never close enough to mount a challenge. With only the top 4 in each class going through to the main, I therefore watched that from the sidelines. :-[

Despite the results I had a really good day, enjoying both the venue and the track. Of the three new tracks I've now ridden at this year (Kanayasan, Kishiwada and Oizumi), I think Oizumi is best-suited to me and my skill level. It's certainly fun, a feeling that's mirrored off the track, with lots of people striking up conversations and the kids trying to practice their English with me. I think I may have found my local track, if you can call 236km/146 miles local!! Am therefore looking forward to my next outing there in July. In the meantime there's a race at Kishiwada this coming Sunday, so I may make the trek back down to Osaka for that.  :D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:15 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2019, 09:42 PM »
A combination of traffic restrictions (and therefore congestion) caused by the G20 summit, a typhoon sweeping across the country and the need to do some work means that I won't be making a return to Osaka this weekend. On the plus side, the money I save means that I can buy a few things instead, including this cool number plate and a set of race numbers! :daumenhoch:

My next scheduled races are therefore on the 14th and 28th July at Oizumi and Kanayasan respectively. :slayer:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Am due back at Oizumi this weekend, though the rainy season is still in full swing, so we'll have to see how things pan out this week. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2019, 11:56 PM »
As feared, rain stopped play yesterday, which means my next outing should be on Sunday 28th. Weather permitting! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2019, 02:03 AM »
Sunday's race has been cancelled! Thumbs down This time it's not the weather, well at least not directly, as the Niigata track needs some building/maintenance work doing to it. That means no racing for me this month and for that matter, most of next month too, with the next scheduled race back at Kanayasan on 25th August! :'( The only saving grace is that I miss the worst of the summer heat and can save a bit of money. Plus I can concentrate on Project Q! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Should have been racing today up in Niigata but sketchy track conditions caused by recent typhoons meant the race was postponed to next weekend. More rain is forecast this week, so we'll have to see what happens but in any case that means both July and August have been race-free! :'(

If next Sunday does go ahead then that'll be the first of 3 consecutive races scheduled for September, as I'm planning to head back to Oizumi Park in Osaka on the 8th, followed by the night race at Midoriyama on the 15th. Should therefore be a busy month, or at least a busier month than the last 2!! Hopefully! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2019, 11:47 AM »
As anticipated, tomorrow's race has been cancelled. This weekend's weather is actually dry but the track's still too damp/soft to race on. At least that's what I think this says! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2019, 01:00 AM »
I seem to be talking more about the weather recently than racing, but this weekend's Osaka race is looking ok, despite a couple of typhoons whizzing around the region. I've been riding the bike most days to keep the ol' legs warmed up but this morning I took a leaf out of Greg Romero's book (the video link's below) and tried some box sprint training. The "box" could have done with being a little higher to level out the crank arms but it wasn't too bad. Did about a dozen or so starts, trying to concentrate on form and posture, though may have to rig up my phone to examine the video evidence!! In the meantime, I took a few pics. :daumenhoch:

/>

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2019, 03:36 AM »
It’s Sunday and I’m in Osaka which can only mean one thing...yes, after a 2-month break, I’m back on track! It’s bloody hot but what the hell, I’ll take what I can!! Race report to follow!! :slayer:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:36 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Another fun day at Oizumi Park, despite the heat. The mixed, over-30s class was once again a popular one with 12 riders split equally into 2 motos. First moto I was in lane 7 and battled for 4th over the first few jumps (3rd pic below - me in the foreground) but lost out and ended up 5th. The 2nd moto was delayed due to problems with the start gate and as a result, I didn’t get to do my normal warm-up routine (of riding around for a minute or 2 before entering the holding area), with the result that I felt really heavy-legged and sluggish walking up to the start-hill. The blazing sun may also have had something to do with it but in any case, I was slow (and last) out of the gate and was playing catch up thereafter. Despite a dive up the inside of the second berm, I couldn’t quite claw back 5th place and wound up 6th. Really disappointing given the promise of the first moto, though at least I had a decent dice! I was therefore determined to do better in the 3rd moto and was actually late into the holding area doing my afore-mentioned warm-up routine! Despite a bit of a wobble on the gate, I got away well and was surprised to find myself fighting for 3rd place over the first set of jumps, as shown in the final pic below (me in the background)! With a lane one start, I was desperate to hold my line in to the first right-handed berm but the guy in lane 2 just snuck ahead and turned in ahead of me, so I had to tuck in behind and settle for 4th place. It was my best finish of the day though and despite not qualifying for the main (the top 4 from each moto went through), it was good to end on a high note. Plus I was battling for position in each race, which is was good. :daumenhoch:

Things I learnt and need to remember for next time? First, keep to my routine. My 49 year old limbs definitely need warming up before (and cooling down after) each race. Second, drink plenty of fluids on hot days! I thought I was drinking enough but I was feeling light-headed after the first moto and had a headache by the time I got back to the car. Third, keep on going! I was a bit despondent after the 2nd moto but dug deep for the 3rd moto and had my best race of the day. :slayer:

So next weekend is the Japan Open back at Midoriyama. Haven’t raced there since February, so am looking forward to catching up with the locals, plus seeing if my experiences at the three tracks in Niigata and Osaka make a difference to how I view and ride the track. :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:59 AM by Mikku »

monkian

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Nice work Mick. All good experience and no doubt will serve you well in the next races

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Cheers Paul! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2019, 04:23 AM »
A definite sense of deja vu at Midoriyama on Sunday. Not just because I’ve done hundreds of laps around the track but because, exactly the same as Oizumi the week before, 12 riders registered for the over-30s class making 2 motos of 6 riders, with me lining up in the second. The result was much the same too, but more of that later. First off…here are a few pics including this year's Night Race tee-shirt which all riders receive at signing up! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2019, 03:14 PM »
The “Japan Open Night Race” is the biggest event in JOSF’s calendar and this year was no exception, with more cars there than I think I’ve ever seen before, which was good. It was also good to catch up with the locals, several of whom had noticed online that I have been racing at Osaka, so were keen to ask about that. Some of my regular rivals had also missed a lot of races this year due to injury, work, etc, etc, so it was a bit of a reunion for us to be racing together again. There were also a few other riders I’d never seen before, so I was looking forward to getting out there. I was in lane 1 for the first moto and got away in front of the guy to my right, defending my line into the first berm. However, I couldn’t get close enough to the guy in front of me, so was just about to settle for 5th place when he wiped out in the rhythm section thus handing me fourth. In the 2nd moto I got away quite well from lane 6 and found myself next to the faller from the first moto as we entered the first berm. Taking different lines through all but the last berm, we had a decent dice but he just had the edge and held on to 4th, with me finishing just behind in 5th. There was then an hour break to wait for it to get darker and race under lights. That gave me time to think tactics! With only the top 4 going through into the main, I knew that I had to finish ahead of the 4th-placed guy from the 2nd moto. He had a bit more speed than me, so I knew I’d have to beat him out of the gate and into the first berm. With the floodlights now on, I therefore lined up for the 3rd moto in lane 4, with my rival inside me in lane 3. This was going to be interesting! The gate dropped and I had another Oizumi deja vu moment as I found myself in third but couldn’t hold that and went into the first berm neck and neck in 4th place with you know who. We were almost level going down the second straight but he just snuck ahead through the 2nd berm, which he held through the 3rd straight. Taking a higher line into the 3rd berm, my plan was to slingshot down the inside line on the 4th straight and slide under him in the 4th and final berm. Sadly my legs couldn’t keep up with my game plan, and I didn’t have enough left in the tank to draw level and/or make my final corner move for glory!! It was a good race though and although we finished on the same points, the other guy went though by virtue of his two 4th-place finishes. I was a bit gutted but tbh, he deserved to go through after recovering well from his first moto wipeout.

So I ended up watching the mains from the sidelines, rethinking my races and wondering if I could have done anything different. Tbh, I don’t think I could’ve done much more than I did. I definitely feel that I’m now a little faster and more confident over the Midoriyama jumps than before but my biggest problem has been the one that I’ve had from the beginning, namely a lack of stamina. I’m therefore feeling now that I should really try and do something about this, so am going to do read up and some research to find a user-friendly way to build up my stamina without visiting a gym! Any suggestions would be welcomed. In the meantime, I shall continue riding my bike as much as possible and hope to be out racing against next month, possibly at Midoriyama again on the 20th and/or at Niigata on the 27th. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:25 PM by Mikku »

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2019, 08:53 AM »
A bit part is ensuring you fuel yourself with the right stuff the day and night before along with during the day of racing.

Night before have a good meal of carbs and protein. Its not always easy, especially as say steak in Japan can be expensive, but even a good spaghetti dish is a good way to fuel yourself. Then on the day ensure you have plenty of fluids, lots of little snacks (no massive meal before racing) and go from there.
Ive recently started trying to have a steak and chips sort of meal the night before as its Protein and Carbs and it actually has helped a lot.

Sometimes though its just getting out and riding more to build up the "engine" and working on building up the legs to go with it.
If you are keen on doing sprints try to include some longer ones with leg speed maxed, and stage it so that you just have to keep pushing it through.
Basically tiring your legs out but still pushing, so a bit downhill is good as you arent trying to build muscle but build the ability to keep going.

You're getting there though, it just takes time.
Keep at it and the results will follow.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Thanks mate - good advice, as always. I’m pretty good with my food and fluids intake on race day but must admit to not giving the night before much thought, other than to keep off the beer!  ;)

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2019, 06:11 AM »
I used to not think too much about it either.
Used to often try for the idea of pasta if possible but that was about it.

Wasn't until travelling to a few interstate and national events with a mate it kind of made sense.
Its one of those things that the main goal is to find out what works for yourself and go from there.
I've found the protein part has helped in the legs not tiring out quite so quickly or as much throughout the days racing.
Often I will have 1 or 2 tiny chocolates between races or a banana for a bit of an energy kick, and its not too heavy either.

Same as drinks like Gatorade. Its not about smashing it down but having a bit and then also having water.
Pretty common to have about 1 per race day, but its normally just a mouthful at a time.
Mind you, I do have a fondness for coffee and especially one of an iced variety, so that may blow out the good eating and drinking haha.

Alot does come down to finding out what works best for yourself though.
Fuel in is fuel out, but it has to be the right stuff.
Oh and a good nights sleep can make a massive difference, especially for the longer term energy for the day.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Picked up a box of race gear the other weekend and included was this stand. Now I have no excuse not to practice my "box sprints". :daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2019, 09:35 AM »
You’ll soon be flying out of that gate like a, I don’t know what

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Hopefully without the long hair and extra 30 kilos! ;D

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Love reading this fella  :daumenhoch: your putting us oldies to shame lol  :-X  keep up the racing and the updates and good luck for the next race!  :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Thanks man, appreciate the support! Especially as I turned 50 a few weeks ago!! :daumenhoch:

Had been thinking about heading down to Midoriyama's race this weekend (so I had an excuse to go to the MotoGP) but had to shelve that plan for non-BMX reasons. Have therefore been continuing my morning practice sessions in the rice fields, as pictured below earlier in the week. Next race should be this coming Sunday 27th, back up at Niigata, with their final race of the season. Haven't been there for a few months now, so am looking forward to it. :D

Edit:- Just received an email saying that today's race at Midoriyama has been cancelled. Am now VERY glad that I didn't make the 7-hour trip for that!!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:18 AM by Mikku »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2019 Race Blog - Continuing to keep it Rad in Japan!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx