gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 03:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  46 year old 'fattie' wanting to give it another try
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 46 year old 'fattie' wanting to give it another try  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
46 year old 'fattie' wanting to give it another try
« on: January 19, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Hello all,
     Being born in 1973 was fortunate enough to be around during the 'bmx boom' of the 80's, was a proud owner of a Raleigh Extra burner (white and red) with Skyway wheels, Aeroyal seat, leanback post and all that other good stuff. Basically lived on my bmx from that Christmas '84 (i think it was - was a long time ago, lol) i got it until it got stolen when i was 17. Girls and beer started to get in the way then. Between then and now every time i have seen someone on a bmx, either when walking the dogs at the park to something on tv catching my eye i have always thought about how much fun it would be to get back into it, but never really followed up on it, saying to myself 'i'm too old/fat', but the urge to want to ride has never really gone away. Done a quick google search and to my surprise and delight found out there are quite a few people in the same age bracket who have either started riding again or have never stopped from back in the 80's. The wife has been contemplating getting a bike to help with fitness and is cool with me getting myself a bmx to tag along, while giving her some moral support but also hoping to shed a few pounds while having fun.
Here is where i would like some advice if possible, i am 6 foot tall and weigh over 16 stone (no doubt will drop below that once i start riding again) and i can remember getting a bit tall for my bmx back when i was in my mid-teens so would imagine i would look like one of those clowns in the circus riding a small bike these days so was wondering are there bmx available here in the UK catered for taller/heavier riders please ? I have read something about double-wheeled rims which are a bit more robust but not sure about frames etc. Would prefer a freestyle rather than a racer as most of the time i will be trying to do bunny-hops, wheelies, jumps etc. when out and about with the wife.
Also, is there anyone on here from Witney/Oxford area please ? Would be nice to meet up and ride with similar aged, like minded people sometimes.
Sorry for long winded post, have a habit of rambling on at times.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: 46 year old 'fattie' wanting to give it another try
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Hello all,
     Being born in 1973 was fortunate enough to be around during the 'bmx boom' of the 80's, was a proud owner of a Raleigh Extra burner (white and red) with Skyway wheels, Aeroyal seat, leanback post and all that other good stuff. Basically lived on my bmx from that Christmas '84 (i think it was - was a long time ago, lol) i got it until it got stolen when i was 17. Girls and beer started to get in the way then. Between then and now every time i have seen someone on a bmx, either when walking the dogs at the park to something on tv catching my eye i have always thought about how much fun it would be to get back into it, but never really followed up on it, saying to myself 'i'm too old/fat', but the urge to want to ride has never really gone away. Done a quick google search and to my surprise and delight found out there are quite a few people in the same age bracket who have either started riding again or have never stopped from back in the 80's. The wife has been contemplating getting a bike to help with fitness and is cool with me getting myself a bmx to tag along, while giving her some moral support but also hoping to shed a few pounds while having fun.
Here is where i would like some advice if possible, i am 6 foot tall and weigh over 16 stone (no doubt will drop below that once i start riding again) and i can remember getting a bit tall for my bmx back when i was in my mid-teens so would imagine i would look like one of those clowns in the circus riding a small bike these days so was wondering are there bmx available here in the UK catered for taller/heavier riders please ? I have read something about double-wheeled rims which are a bit more robust but not sure about frames etc. Would prefer a freestyle rather than a racer as most of the time i will be trying to do bunny-hops, wheelies, jumps etc. when out and about with the wife.
Also, is there anyone on here from Witney/Oxford area please ? Would be nice to meet up and ride with similar aged, like minded people sometimes.
Sorry for long winded post, have a habit of rambling on at times.

Welcome to RAd mate, you are in the right place for sure!!
Most old school bikes are very short and not so great for adults to ride, Alot of people of this age go for 24" cruisers as they are far roomier and more practical to get around on. GT make a 24" and a 26" version of the old Pro Performer  which are quite cool...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GT-26-Pro-Performer-Old-School-Style-Bmx-Cruiser-Chrome-not-haro-se/223331097818?hash=item33ff921cda:g:AekAAOSwtYZcPePL:rk:6:pf:0

or if you want a 20" you may be better off with a new school or a retro such as the Haro lineage which look like the old Master/ Sports but have new geometry

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haro-2017-Lineage-Team-Sport-1987-Old-School-Retro-BMX-Bike-Black-Teal-RRP-1200/223044868243?epid=883823017&hash=item33ee829893:g:MngAAOSwsXFZHGPq:rk:4:pf:0

or here is a 24"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haro-Sport-Freestyler-24-Bmx-Old-School-BMX/113298623885?hash=item1a611fcd8d:g:o~AAAOSw1cdbvOF3

The key is the Top tube length..most old school bikes have a 17 -19 in tt...most modern BMx's have tt of 20-21 in doesn't sound like much but makes a massive difference when riding. If you just want a new school BMX there are loads of bargains on ebay. Whatever you decide try and buy something with a cromoly frame and forks . There are loads of cheap Steel bikes around but they will really hamper your enjoyment as real heavy...and WHATEVER you do don't buy another Burner!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:35 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

griff

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:31 PM »
What Damo said ^

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:01 PM »

Offline madchester16

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06 PM »
I'd say don't let your height put you off an old school or mid school bmx. I'm  5' 11" so only slightly shorter than you. I've recently bought a 1994 Mongoose  with 19.5 inch top tube. It has a laid back seat post and i have plenty of room. I ride MTBs with 27.5" wheels and top tubes much longer. I'm  comfortable on the bmx for a 10 mile ride... legs hurt before anything else due to lack of gears!

I weigh 12st so a bit lighter than you but still wouldn't let it put you off. At 46 I'm loving being back on a bmx. Hoping to ride some indoor skate parks soon but I know my limits so will be taking easy.

Go and try one or two bmx bikes and see how you feel on them. I don't get any funny looks riding down the street. Some kids obviously love my bmx from the odd comments I get. You'll get the same I'm sure.

Offline Quadog

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:35 PM »
These look pretty cool new school but with an old School flavour 👍

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 08:40 PM »
These look pretty cool new school but with an old School flavour 👍

i saw that Scott...surprised it hasn't sold yet...definitely a future classic that. i was trying to get my mate to buy it as he wanted a new school to ride with his lad who has just got an 18" .  but he didn't want to spend that money. Tbh i would probably buy it myself but i do not have the space.  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions (please keep them coming :) ). Seems to be much choice these days, am sure i saw someone riding one of those Aaron Ross bikes a few weeks ago (remember the vivid colours), really like the look of those but feel i need to see some bikes in the flesh to get a good idea of size etc..
Will have to try and find some local shops to visit to try some on for size so to speak. There are quite a few around Oxford but when i have passed and had a look there is not much with regards to bmx as most of them tend to focus on commuter bikes more than anything. Am sure there must be something near by, the wife wants to go and have a look tomorrow so will have to see what places i can find to tag along, lol.
At the moment have about £300-ish to play about with but hoping to sell my car and possibly my switch soon as i never use them (still use psp and gameboy for my gaming fix when at work) so some of those funds will be going in the pot towards the wife and I bike stuff (i can have a terrible case of g.a.s where thigs like this are concerned, lol)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01 PM »
I like 'long-winded' and 'rambling' posts and this is a good one.
Realistically, for fitness cycling, BMX is not the way to go. Plenty of fitness/road bikes out there that are designed for the likes of you and me to get active again. My Specialized Sirrus is a joy. That said BMX for the lols all the way, BMX building and collecting, well, that is a great hobby. The chase for parts, the build, to restore or leave, posting about the build to like souls...love it, love it, love it.

(don't go single speed unless you fancy yourself as a 'hipster')

Welcome and hang around.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 12:19 AM »
It's definitely going to be for the lols, any fitness gained or weight lost will just be a bonus, as well as to give the wife some moral support and tag along with her when she starts to ride although as she (hopefully) starts to enjoy it and want to start going further afield then a hybrid/mountain bike will be on the cards as well.

It would be nice to source a Mongoose frame and build something as a long term project (when i have the room) as always had a soft spot for those bikes as a kid but that is something that will not be happening for a long time (building a Mongoose, not being a kid, that ship sailed a long time ago, lol)

Hoping to visit one or 2 shops tomorrow to have a look. Popped into Whsmith earlier with the intention of getting a bmx magazine (i know you can get all the info on the internet but am a sucker for physical media and love magazines) but does not look like any are published over her any more. I used to get a weekly magazine as a kid, every Saturday when i got my paper round pay. Funny how can remember things like that but can't even remember what i had for tea 2 days ago, lol.

I like 'long-winded' and 'rambling' posts and this is a good one.
Realistically, for fitness cycling, BMX is not the way to go. Plenty of fitness/road bikes out there that are designed for the likes of you and me to get active again. My Specialized Sirrus is a joy. That said BMX for the lols all the way, BMX building and collecting, well, that is a great hobby. The chase for parts, the build, to restore or leave, posting about the build to like souls...love it, love it, love it.

(don't go single speed unless you fancy yourself as a 'hipster')

Welcome and hang around.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 12:37 AM »
Everything is online these days....all the mags have gone! i used to get proper excited a couple of days before R.A.D or BMX Action bike as it was came out, it was your one link to the scene back then!
You definitely better off looking for a s/h bargain on ebay, will get more bang for your buck!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 08:39 AM »
46 seems to be the new 14 😁👍

I have just rekindled the BMX love too and already started a Skyway streetstyler build and a Mongoose motomag...love the gussets.

Prices are mental though. Motomag wheels for example some around but 300 to 500 and they look knackered.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:15 PM by Smidsy »

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 10:56 AM »
You are not wrong about how insane prices have gone. Oh man Skyway Streetstyler, one of my friends older brother had one of those (i am certin it was a Skyway but not sure on the exact model), can remember they were refurbishing the theatre where we used to live and there was a skip full of wood and a lot of the 'bigger kids' built a quarterpipe out of it all on some unused ground ground by the car park next to the theatre. Always found it easier throwing the Skyway around on that pipe compared to my 'Burner'

Anyway, could i ask a little advice please (not sure how it works regarding making new posts and potentially spamming up the boards). Was having a quick look through gumtree and noticed this, the person selling it is about half a mile from me. Does anyone own or have experience of one of these please, it's a Mafiebikes Blackjack. Wonderinf if it is worth having a look :
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/mafiabikes-blackjack-stunt-bike.-good-condition-serviced-free-lock-lights-delivery-/1327026879

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 11:43 AM »
That looks O.k for the money and if it is local too...it would certainly do to begin with  :daumenhoch:

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Ah, just realized the first (of many no doubt) rookie mistakes. It does not have a front brake, lol. Would like a front brake for endos.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Ah, just realized the first (of many no doubt) rookie mistakes. It does not have a front brake, lol. Would like a front brake for endos.

the kids these dyas do foot jams lol! you can always drill the fork and fit a front brake...

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 12:27 PM »

the kids these dyas do foot jams lol! you can always drill the fork and fit a front brake...

My wife actually said 'why don't you just fit one yourself, lol'. Will give them a ring shortly and arrange going to have a look.
Just spoke to the guy and will be popping down to have a look tomorrow after work. By sounds of things he has a unit and services bikes. Has a few more bikes there as well.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:52 PM by Darkskythe »

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 12:51 PM »
 :) £300 should get you a half-decent bike especially if you don`t mind used.If you`re going for a modern 20" look for something with a 21 -21.5 toptube.You can always add taller bars and/or a longer stem.Whatever you do,don`t buy anything with the Mafia name on it-they are piss poor junk & you`ll never stop shelling out
on repairs.
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Thank you for the advice, possibly explains how i could not really find as much info on them compared to other makes. Oh well, ignore the above post then, i will give it a miss, lol.
It's more than likely going to be used as get more bang for your buck. Think i am going to have to visit some bmx/bike shops to see different makes/models in the flesh rather than buying something 'blind' off ebay and being disappointed.

:) £300 should get you a half-decent bike especially if you don`t mind used.If you`re going for a modern 20" look for something with a 21 -21.5 toptube.You can always add taller bars and/or a longer stem.Whatever you do,don`t buy anything with the Mafia name on it-they are piss poor junk & you`ll never stop shelling out
on repairs.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 01:58 PM »
If you get yourself along to Leicestershire when we hire a skate Park you can come try about a dozen new school rides and work out what size you need.

Definitely by a second-hand full cromo new school bike for about £150-200 and try it out, you won't believe how much better they are

Once you get riding you can upgrade to a newschool in disguise as there are companies that have re-issued classics like GT Performers, Haro Sports and Mongooses, but they're not cheap

Get up to a ramp night and have a roll, see what you think fistblump
Still limping......

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 02:24 PM »
That definitely sounds like a great idea, thank you for the suggestion/offer. How often do you hire the skate park, and when will you next be hiring it please ? It's only about 100 miles from me as well so will be a fun road trip. You'll be able to take the mick out of my accent as well, being Welsh born and raised, lol.

If you get yourself along to Leicestershire when we hire a skate Park you can come try about a dozen new school rides and work out what size you need.

Definitely by a second-hand full cromo new school bike for about £150-200 and try it out, you won't believe how much better they are

Once you get riding you can upgrade to a newschool in disguise as there are companies that have re-issued classics like GT Performers, Haro Sports and Mongooses, but they're not cheap

Get up to a ramp night and have a roll, see what you think fistblump

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Pretty sure Ed209 is sorting a ride at Terminal One in Melton Mobary on the 2nd Feb from 9pm to midnight but I'll check. 2weeks later we're back in Sheffield so a bit further on your road trip  :shocked:
Still limping......

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 10:21 PM »
Pretty sure Ed209 is sorting a ride at Terminal One in Melton Mobary on the 2nd Feb from 9pm to midnight but I'll check. 2weeks later we're back in Sheffield so a bit further on your road trip  :shocked:
Great stuff, doubtful of being able to make it to Sheffield but will certainly be keeping an eye out for anything else that will be do-able. Also like the look of the Milton Keynes meetups so will definitely come along to that this year, assuming there is one.  Had a look through the events/meet ups page but could not see anything relating to Melton Mowbury on the 2nd so will keep my eyes out.

Wife was still knackered from working nights the past week so did not get a chance to go anywhere today to have a look, i do pass an Evans Cycles near Maidenhead on Wednesday so will pop in there just to have a look. Spent an hour looking through ebay but to be honest, there is way too much choice there to try and sift through and a lot of the stuff that stands out (like the siggestions by Deeman) are way over my budget at the moment, as well as some vague descriptions and my lack of knowledge to know if they are cromo or not. Did see a Diamondback, again local to me ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diamondback-chromo-Joker-1995-old-school-bmx-bike-nr-Mint/323639421765  in case anyone was curious) but think i am going to bide my time until i get to one of the meet ups to see a selection, as well as gain a bit more knowledge rather than rush in and get something 'that will suffice' rather than something that really stands out to me (like tha Aaron Ross a few posts up, i do like those SE Racing freestyle as well).

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:48 PM »
Your budget pretty much dictates that a used new school bike would be your best bet! i wouldn't buy new out ofa bike shop, you will get a lot less for your money...
something along the lines of this would be ideal.....you won't find a front brake on any of them though, you will have to retro fit one for essential endos!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-BMX/254074354200?hash=item3b2802fa18:g:buoAAOSwy3JcFsQm:rk:48:pf:0

most new school bikes feel similar due to the fact that the geometry is more or less the same as they know what works now. there will be subtle differences in head angle and standover etc but they are much of a muchness if you have never ridden one before. They are very different to old school bikes but much better once you get used to them. you will probably want a longer seat post like most old schoolers but that is easily done!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  46 year old 'fattie' wanting to give it another try

gfxgfx
gfx gfx