gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975532 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 07:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Skyway Streetbeat '85 - Newbie. BUILD THREAD.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Streetbeat '85 - Newbie. BUILD THREAD.  (Read 25985 times)

Offline Annabella

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Skyway Streetbeat '85 - Newbie. BUILD THREAD.
« on: January 23, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Hello good people of Rad,

I thought you may be interested in my latest build although to be fair, it is also my first ahaha.

So my boyfriend is into old school BMX and I've picked up the odd thing, or two, or 100, along the way... oh and it's been some way!

I also have some very good friends into old school BMX and my best friend is the one who started this whole concept by giving me the frameset and bars (nb bars to be returned to at a later date).  I am attaching a couple of pictures of it as he gave me it.  This is an early '85 frameset with the T/A style cut outs in the forks, which is quite cool - ish! ha!

So, 6 months after I attended the MK show (WOW btw - good work you lot!! Couldn't believe all the awesome biikes (and parts) in one place)... and here I am building my very own bike! I expect I'll need a little help along the way (luckily my best friend who donated the frameset is VERY knowledgeable and my boyfriend knows the odd thing or two), plus - I'm sure you lovely folks will give me your opinions on parts etc!

I'm thinking keep the budget low and have a mixture of repro...probably mostly hahaha...hopefully some NOS/OG parts - just because it would feel good for the soul tee hee.  This is not a show bike.  I just want a nice rider...a really nice rider.

So, my colour scheme is going to be grey and pink. I've ordered a bunch of parts and have some boxes to open (I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment)  plus waiting on some more packages.  I'll take some pictures in the coming days of some of the parts. I've had my eye on parts for a little while and just been buying and not opening. The bike itself is going to be painted grey and I have in a box a pink Hot Seat so that's my first part and omg - it's cracking, just wait til you see it!  Oh and my bestie has the OG decals for me too - how excellent is that?!!!

I know that I'm new and a girl but I plan to enter the bike in bike of the month when I get it finished and would love you all to vote for me. Just so you know - expect the unexpected with me. I know I said repro parts and low budget - but if I see something I think is right for the bike no amount of dollar will stop me!!

Watch this space.....

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:14 AM by Annabella »

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway Streetbeat '85 - Newbie. BUILD THREAD.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 12:12 AM »
Firstly,  :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie: Annabella.  :)

That is a really nice project. Hope to see more of this soon. In case you may have any questions, just ask. People on here are always happy to help with good advice.

Have fun and enjoy the site.  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I would try and build with nice used parts. Make a nice survivor bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Keep us posted with this l, we loves a Beat.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Welcome to RAD. What a great way to start with your building. When it comes to building a great looking bike with a mix of parts - some original and some reproduction, have a look at Retrodan72’s builds. They look great, and are built to ride  :4_17_5:

Good luck with your build - any questions, just ask  :daumenhoch:

Offline Annabella

• Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:51 PM »
So here's a few new parts.... A Pink Hot seat, this was like golddust and it was in unbelievable condition given it was used and not NOS.

Pedals are new Shimano PDMX - I did have to do some repop parts as I couldn't afford to sell my house to build this bike!

Wheels are new grey tuffs, they have panaracer style tyres. I like how the grey and pink is coming together....

Hope you enjoy this update. There will be many more to come...I have ordered a shit ton of parts, so just waiting for those and have a couple more left to open and get around to photographing.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Yes those hot seats are very rare in Pink. I have a survivor one but no way in the same condition as yours  :daumenhoch:

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Thats going to look really cool, some pinks, esp the soft satin white ones are beautiful.

My whole bike is repro apart from a NOS crank and customised spider and it wasnt cheap, i could have bought an original Haro 84 Sport for far less money. But i wanted a new one, with no rust or cracked welds. I saw first hand what kids did to their bikes, smashed em to bits. If i could have found an 84 mint new in box frame i would have left it alone as the first thing id have done was rip the decals off. A repro Haro 82 Frame just sold for £800 on Ebay! Some people hate Repro, some love it. I definately couldnt have built my bike without it, so i love the stuff haha!

Look forward to seeing how your build goes, dont be afraid to experiment and do whatever you like with it, a BMX is a reflection of you the builder, its your bike do your own thing with it  :daumenhoch:

Offline Annabella

• Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 01:50 AM »

So - got the bike powdered...look what we found? Or did the shop do it? They said it was already like that... but I don't know - The ding is a quarter of the way down the down tube from the headset and on the underneath of the tube. It COULD have been covered by the decal and I just never saw it before... but it is a hard place to get a ding on a bike in any case!!!!

What do we reckon folks?

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I had a nightmare experience with a powder coater. Too a Ducati frame in for stripping and powder with explicit instructions to protect the fame number.

Guess what...frame number virtually destroyed...big battle...final result, no payment and a frame with a number that i barely readable.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 08:37 AM »
A great project ... love that seat and those pedals!
When it comes to powder coating it pays to get the best to do the work sadly. SBD ( Dan Purcell ) Super Bike Dan is the only RAD approved guy...  he would have sorted the ding before painting sadly.

I can’t wait to see how this develops... hopeful the head tube badge will cover that ding for you?
Grey/Pink is an awesome combination  :4_17_5:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline bob1984bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 11:44 PM »
I wouldnt worry about it tbh, if its on the underside, then its a lil bit of hidden history, may have been done before the bike was even built.

Offline Manu

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16 PM »
What About this beat development? ::)

Offline Annabella

• Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 11:43 PM »
So the update isn't all that interesting but here we go... so after the disaster with the dent in the bike from the last shop, took it to SBD who did a repair job (pictured) and then painted it.  I have bars that came in grey and I was wanting the paint to match the bars... so he did that (pictures) and wasn't very happy with the results, so it got repainted!

Final couple of pictures show the bike as it is finished.  It looks perfect to me and I'm very happy with it.  I have OG decals to put on it next!

THEN....I'll take some more pictures of my parts and post those and start the build.

pics of the colour difference

repair

Offline Manu

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Good thing done,you won't regret it. :daumenhoch:
Looking forward to see this project come to life...

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Mmmmm...this has some nice 'ingredients'! Grey with grey tuffs should look wicked....That hot seat is lush too! keep it coming  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Annabella

• Rated:
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Here are some updated pics! it is now finished (apart from a seat tube decal)
in th end i ended up using...

F and f : early 85 street beat
bars : EZ II
grips: A'me round bubble font
stem: Skyway freestyle
Levers: DC tech 5
caliipers : DC 880/901
headset: tioga
crank: Fu Pau 175mm cromo opc
pedals: shimano PDMX
chain: Izumi
seatclamp: Dc hinged
seatpost: GT cromo
seat: skyway Hot Seat

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:37 AM by Annabella »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 05:20 PM »
That has turned out really nice. The grey, silver and pink tones look  :4_17_5: class.

Offline DazA

• Curb Endo
  • BmX iS dEaD.........RiDe On!!!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Nice 👍 good job. Was looking forward to seeing this finished.
😜🔫 i may look like I'm listening to ya,
        but in my head I'm thinking about bmx 😜🔫

Offline Manu

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Clean sheet,clean Beat!  :daumenhoch:
Amazing bike this beat,so light and fun...

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Nice looking build that  :daumenhoch: we don't get many Powder Puffs on here so nice to have one that knows how to build a sweet ride  :daumenhoch:

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I notice this has been offered for sale elsewhere.

Why you getting rid after all the work??

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Skyway Streetbeat '85 - Newbie. BUILD THREAD.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx