gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 11:59 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What is in store for RadBMX?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What is in store for RadBMX?  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
What is in store for RadBMX?
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Firstly I am not one of the old guard by any means; I have only been to the last two MK events and only got back into the scene around three to four years ago.

Given the possibility that there may not be a MK event this year, or if there is it may be down-sized, may I ask about the future of the forum?

Yes, this is a quiet forum but there is still content, plenty. From my point of view I have a heap of content on the way but it takes time to prepare, particularly given the difficulty in getting highly corrosive and hazardous chemicals these days, let's just say it is how I roll! :uglystupid2:

I have ventured onto Facebook but only to search for grail stuff and the odd bit here and there; with some success. In this regard I find it a difficult platform to use. I stumble upon stuff rather than find it. I really can not work out how to search for something, can not work out how to see current posts rather than necro stuff etc etc. I also can not see how the platform can support build threads, my main interest. It is probably that I am just a bit shite at Facebook but meh. The forum format does everything I want and then some. Perhaps I am just getting old and can not adapt to the new :-\

I have been meaning to raise this topic for a little while. This came about with the ugly demise of OZBMX, a forum site I looked at a lot as it's content was, in many ways, closer to my interests.

Are we nearing the OZBMX precipice, given without the ugliness that occurred there?
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: What is in store for RadBMX?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 04:31 PM »
The  :radbmxsmilie: forum, and others like it have undoubtably suffered due to the emergence of smart phones, and the rise in facebook/instagram etc. I use both myself, both personally and for all things relating to RAD. The forum, although quieter in recent times will remain the go to place for information and research. I actually think that it’s traffic may well increase in the future, as people get a bit sick of the endless stream of facebook, and it’s limitations (no designated threads/sections). The hardcore enthusiasts will always have the forum to fall back on. We may well tweak it slightly in the future, but we intend to keep it alive and well for many years to come  :daumenhoch:

Keep it real. Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:

In2bmx

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 04:53 PM »
As far as I’m concerned. Although the forum is quieter due to Facefook and smart phones.

The cream of the crop will always use the forum .

Keep it  :radbmxsmilie: and keep Posting  fistblump

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 05:02 PM »
The forum will ALWAYS take priority over any social media, RAD related or not. This place is where it (re)started for me back in 2008 and it, it’s members and Admin Team have been very good to me and helped me through some shit times.

The funny thing is, a lot of the people that comment about the forum being quiet on FB were once big posters on here, they just like opening their FB app and seeing a little red box with a count of notifications in it.

The others that moan about the forum being difficult to navigate or can’t upload pics or couldn’t work out how to register or log in? Stick to your colouring books, but don’t eat the crayons.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline torkerdude180

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:42 PM »
dans later point re not been able to navigate or even get on the forum really does bewilder me tbh. even folk that have mentioned to me on the rides.... what...?! why....?! imo its the most easiest site to navigate... it aint hard. and yes, imsure some folk use it bit may not like to admit that...???
YES facebook is easier....??  but itsa way of life for most folk, thats why its easy,
 :radbmxsmilie: will always be here, ITS a way of life for the hard core BMX ers......
THE TIGER

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 05:50 PM »
explosion

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 05:54 PM »
...I forgot to mention something: I only owned a mobile phone for a couple of months around 15 years ago due to moving house and a hanging job application that badly conspired. I bought a pay as you go jobby, I think they are called 'burner' phones in films, that I sadly forgot to check and consequently missed out on what was a dream job at the time. Also I have not owned a TV for at least 10 years. I used to be a big time MMO gamer so PC is king, it provides me with all media. That is probably why I like forums, I do not know anything else. Just saying
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

griff

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:56 PM »
I might have stepped down from Mod duties but still coming here just as much as before

This place gives a bit of welcome respite from all the shite on facebook

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Facebook has been a great tool for me over the years in order to find parts quickly & to set up reference pages for the brands I've always liked & couldn't find information for on Rad as its so easy to do.

Although I'm not on that life page as its well known i have dislike for the guy that set it up as he's a cooooont.

I have however spent hours /days  /weeks / researching & setting up brand pages such for /Yes BMX /Fox Factor /  Marlboro / Rebel & and the Owners group for Rickman BMX as well as contributing to other band pages on there adding bits of info I've spotted along the way as i love trying to give something back to the hobby...

The Rickman group is basically just that (the owners group) & the rest are pretty much dormant reference pages with all of the adverts tests articles & information I've managed to find & get together over the years from around the web & from my old magazines ...

Definitely think Rad could do with an update & has always been missing a Brand section whereby vetted information could be uploaded & kept for users reference & i'd happily turn over all of the info on the pages I've set up (links listed below)  if somebody wanted to copy upload this to the forum .

Each Brand could have a page with sub sections for Magazine tests / adverts / Parts section  / Team rider interviews/ of  which Rad members could populate with images scans etc ...

Anyway if you're interested have a look at the below links & feel free to lift what you like as id actually like to close all pages apart from the Rickman group down... it is nice every now & then when someone stumbles across the page & thanks you for setting it up though & thats the whole reason for doing it ...

https://www.facebook.com/YESBMXUK/

https://www.facebook.com/FoxfactorBMX/

https://www.facebook.com/REBELBMX/

https://www.facebook.com/MarlboroZapperBMX/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rickmanbmx/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:28 PM by Funkyworm »

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 06:30 PM »
 :radbmxsmilie: will always be the place for me to meet the family. My job often times keeps me so busy that I don't find the inner calmness I need personaly to enjoy my time on here. I can't just stick my head in for a few minutes, it doesn't feel right to me. This forum is very dear to me and I appreciate the fact that it is not like this slot machine that facebook basically is.
I use FB too and chat with my RAD-friends on there but compared to how well organised this forum is, FB is just a mess. Yesterday I was trying to find an older post where some dude posted a picture of a particular part that a friend on here is looking for. Needless to say that I didnt succeed. FB is meant to be like that - a slot machine. Not taking it to seriously is a healthy way to deal with it, I think.
As torkerdude mentioned, it can't be due to any difficulties of navigating this forum. That is to me a very lame excuse. It is more the laziness of people to spend time on anything these days.

@Avro: If you are looking for any particular parts it might be a good idea to let those people know who use FB on a daily basis. As the feed on FB changes every 5 mintues it is more likely that one of us may see an add for a part you need. More eyes will see much more at different times during the day.  :daumenhoch:
I always have eye on the wanted adds on here, just in case I find (usually by luck) something that someone needs.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 07:02 PM »

Griff's pretty much got it spot on here - a welcome change from the crap and knobheads on fbook.

I've been a member for a decent number of years but tend to do more lurking rather than posting lately, but it's still my goto every single lunchtime here in work.

I gotta admit I use instagram way more than I should, but still wouldn't be without the radbmx forum for my daily fix of dramaless, flipperless, overpolisherless proper BMX.

Brian  :daumenhoch:  :-*

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Quite frankly if people can't navigate their way round here I don't want them on here  :knuppel2:

On a positive note there are plans afoot to move the forum forward with a few tweaks. might even get my comprehensive reference section at some point too  :whistle:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 07:32 PM »

Griff's pretty much got it spot on here - a welcome change from the crap and knobheads on fbook.

I've been a member for a decent number of years but tend to do more lurking rather than posting lately, but it's still my goto every single lunchtime here in work.

I gotta admit I use instagram way more than I should, but still wouldn't be without the radbmx forum for my daily fix of dramaless, flipperless, overpolisherless proper BMX.

Brian  :daumenhoch:  :-*

Bri, lurking is a crime pal.

Get posting, let’s see your rides.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Darkskythe

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Personally, i don't do facebook and have always used forums (although it's been a while since using one of those for World of warcraft). Only just discovered this awesome place less than a week ago and have had some amazing advice and pointers already, not to mention the lack of bellends/keyboard warriors that tend to contribute nothing to any discussions on the more popular social media platforms. It's my personal experiences that the 'cream of the crop' tend to use forums rather than social media (i could be wrong as have not touched it in over 5 years). I tend to lurk as i don't have the knowledge to be able to contribute. As soon as any stuff i order starts to arrive i will start posting pictures and stuff so i hope this place is nto going anywhere

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 07:37 PM »
 :radbmxsmilie: is here to stay!!!
Keep posted for new and interesting RADness lads ...
The RAD team are very much committed and are here to stay  :smitten:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 07:44 PM »
used to use radbmx facebook but sorry there was way too many things on there that wound me up so left , all i use is the forum but sadly dont post much as  i rarely have time to build a bike these days let alone talk about them

no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:58 AM »
If OZBMX has failed it's only failed because of the person that bought it.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 10:18 PM »
:radbmxsmilie: is here to stay!!!
Keep posted for new and interesting RADness lads ...
The RAD team are very much committed and are here to stay  :smitten:

^ 100%  :4_17_5:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 05:01 AM »
I love this place!! Even though I’m on the other side of the world from RAD HQ, I clock in almost every day to see what’s new, as well as update my race blog and Japan thread. I don’t do FB, so can’t comment on that but actually think the smartphone has helped forums, since you can post from anywhere (he says, sat in his car during the lunch break at a bmx race meet one hour from Tokyo)!! :daumenhoch:

Long live  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 10:38 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 10:15 AM »
There’s only one Rad and it’s here.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 08:44 AM »
FaceBook is fine for buying and selling to a large audience, but that's where it ends. Everything else is utter toss, and a haven for the  :nickswan:

To be fair, anyone who can't navigate around a simple website is probably better off sticking to FB. Keep the window-licker count down on here.
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 08:57 AM »
One of the w4nkiest things on the FB BMX pages is the whole ‘Front End Friday’ thing. It was ok for the first couple of times, let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to see some great looking bikes, but it’s all got a bit silly now with ‘seat gut Saturday’ and ‘dust cap December’.  :wtf:

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 09:30 AM »
One of the w4nkiest things on the FB BMX pages is the whole ‘Front End Friday’ thing. It was ok for the first couple of times, let’s be honest, who doesn’t want to see some great looking bikes, but it’s all got a bit silly now with ‘seat gut Saturday’ and ‘dust cap December’.  :wtf:

Erm, I happen to have won Dust Cap December so please keep you’re opinions to yourself. 😛

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21 PM »
I know I'm not on here anywhere near as much as I used to be but I pop in to check the tech and restos and post my vote in BOTM....

I absolutely hated the Facebok format - Joff forced me to sign up and give it a go but it just wasn't for me at all.

I think the amount of bikes still getting entered in to BOTM every month is testament to the forum - there's still people on here, collecting, restoring, building and showing their crackin builds for the other RAD members - spot on  :daumenhoch:

:radbmxsmilie: :smitten:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Radbmx is the only forum about Bmx I use,as quite simply its the best! others have come and gone and that is testament to the people who run it and the forum itself  :4_17_5:  I don't do any other social media and have no desire to! I hope it stays around forever  :daumenhoch: the knowledge on here is second to none for a hobby we all love.. :daumenhoch: I just wish there were more people using it as there was when I was just a lurker on here a good few years ago...Long live Radbmx and long may it continue!  fistblump

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What is in store for RadBMX?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx