gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 03:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New or old ???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New or old ???  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
New or old ???
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:32 PM »
So I should be looking for some v bars for my build but I'm not too keen on them to be honest. They're ok I just prefer the look of straights. So... because the parts are adding up on my build should I cut some corners and buy new or fork out for some 80's bars. Nice Nitto's or some new Diamond Backs? I know most will probably say go 80's and I'm leaning that way, will it kill the build if I go new?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:35 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: New or old ???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:58 PM »
It's entirely up to you really. I'm not a big fan of V bars, but I do have a few sets fitted to bikes that should have them. If you want to go down the straight bar route, have a look around, as some of the retro bars on the market would be fine, and nobody would probably notice once the bike has been fully built. You can go with a mix of original and new/retro parts, and it will still look good. Finding the correct balance of both, and knowing when and where to fit original and reproduction/retro parts is the key. There are no hard and fast rules - we all like and focus on different aspects of a build. What works for one, doesn't work for another. I've tried to make sense of it with some of my builds, but to be honest I can't. If the part looks and feels right to me, then it's in/on!

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19 PM »
It's entirely up to you really. I'm not a big fan of V bars, but I do have a few sets fitted to bikes that should have them. If you want to go down the straight bar route, have a look around, as some of the retro bars on the market would be fine, and nobody would probably notice once the bike has been fully built. You can go with a mix of original and new/retro parts, and it will still look good. Finding the correct balance of both, and knowing when and where to fit original and reproduction/retro parts is the key. There are no hard and fast rules - we all like and focus on different aspects of a build. What works for one, doesn't work for another. I've tried to make sense of it with some of my builds, but to be honest I can't. If the part looks and feels right to me, then it's in/on!

Great response thanks, very helpful. I know some comprises will have to be made which are most likely going to come down to cost and availability. Who wouldn't love a totally stock build for whatever they were working on if they could. Then there's always a part you could improve on too I guess. The thing is, the more you look the more you see and that can blur your vision or build plan for the worse or better too. As well as pushing the cost up. This is my first old school build and I suppose if I don't get it right or I'm not happy with it I can always put it right in time when the right part pops up. Decisions decisions 🤔

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50 PM »
My first build after getting into the scene was a 1984 Skyway T/A. That was in 2009, and to be honest i’ve never been 100% happy with it. It’s evolved over the years, and is constantly being tweaked. It’s mostly original parts with only the cranks and pedals being reproduction (profile anniversary cranks), and Hutch beartrap pedals

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01 PM »
Nice first build! I guess the trick is knowing when you've finished and leaving it there, then start another build lol. This one isn't going to be fast so I'll have lots of time to think about what I really want from it.

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05 PM »
 :)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10 AM »
I am finding handlebars harder and harder to find, particularly if you want a decent width. Handlebar width is not only good for that race look but also to allow a decent amount of room for grips and brake levers. A 23" bar you are really looing at Tech II's or pre-bents, 25" getting better and squeeze most in, 26"+ hello momma.
There are a set of Laserbars for sale on the forum, hard to beat in my opinion. That said I have fitted Salt Pro and HQ bars to builds before now, great to ride and look the business.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:12 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:44 AM »
Agree on the v bars they are minging. how about some repops like SE powerwings? or skyway pro bars?
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Personally i wouldn't put 'new' bars on it unless you are desperate to get out and ride it. You'll only want to replace them further down the line when you find a set of decent authentic ones. There's normally some decent bars on eBay, if your not going factory correct you should be able to find some that are at least era correct. Oh and i'd only put V-bars on if you want to build it factory spec.  :)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:

griff

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 04:36 PM »
I love V bars on the right bike

Obviously funds have a big say in what you buy, but just (for a second) thinking about value etc it's generally a good practice to buy OG once vs buying repop and then 'upgrading' afterwards. I say this simply because repop parts will depreciate heavily once you get hold of them, whereas OG stuff tends to hold or increase its value.

If you are happy to buy repop and stick with it then fair dos - it can be a great way to get something that looks the part and get you rolling quicker

If it's purely a rider then opting for stuff like repop tyres/grips/seats can be a good move as they'll only get scuffed

Sorry to upset anyone but I personally draw the line at repop DC calipers and seat clamps - they look pony IMO and I'd rather have some 80s copies or restore something a bit scruffy

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Thanks for all of your replies guys. I think I'll be patient and see what originals pop up or go for the Nitto's if my pockets are deep enough this month. The lasers are too pricey for me tbh. . I checked out he Skyways and I think they would be a little too big on my build. Gonna stick to 28" X 7" or maybe 8"". The frame has a 5" headstock so gained an inch there so I don't think I want to go too tall. I think repop on the wear and tear parts makes sense Griff, already got my grips and saddle sorted with the same thinking (SE Blitz and A'me Tri)
BTW if anyone was looking to buy the Diamond Backs ( the pic got a lot of views) Alan's has them on fleaBay £10 cheaper than on their site.

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Have you had a look at Win bars. Good quality 80s bars. I’ve got 3 sets in 23, 26, and 28 inches all very reasonably priced too.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Have you had a look at Win bars. Good quality 80s bars. I’ve got 3 sets in 23, 26, and 28 inches all very reasonably priced too.

Thanks mate, I haven't to be honest. I've only just started to think about the parts I'm sourcing and saw the Nitto's up for sale and asked the question. Turns out they may be later than I thought and the seller is holding tight on the price. I'll keep you in mind and may be back in touch about your offerings.

Do you guys mind if this topic is continued but in relation to Griffs opinion about dc repops. I can start a new topic if you prefer. So... 80's copies also sound more appealing than the dc repops. The price suits and the part would also be more period correct. Chang Stars or Lee Chi. On par or ???

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 06:51 PM »

Thanks mate, I haven't to be honest. I've only just started to think about the parts I'm sourcing and saw the Nitto's up for sale and asked the question. Turns out they may be later than I thought and the seller is holding tight on the price. I'll keep you in mind and may be back in touch about your offerings.

Do you guys mind if this topic is continued but in relation to Griffs opinion about dc repops. I can start a new topic if you prefer. So... 80's copies also sound more appealing than the dc repops. The price suits and the part would also be more period correct. Chang Stars or Lee Chi. On par or ???
Just reread my comment there and it looks like I’m telling you ve got them for sale. Sorry mate just meant I’ve got them on builds and were cheap to buy.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Lol that's what I thought you meant. No worries I'll have a look and see if I like. 👍🏼

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 07:36 PM »

Chang Stars or Lee Chi. On par or ???

Chang Star and/or Lee Chi are a great alternative to DC  :daumenhoch:. I have 2 sets, both fitted to my MT Racing bikes  :)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Much cheaper too. I ve started another topic on the brakes, I thought that wouldn't annoy the admins as much as me rambling on and going off topic lol

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Not at all. It's good to talk  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:20 PM »
I ve started another topic on the brakes, I thought that wouldn't annoy the admins as much as me rambling on and going off topic lol

It's your thread mate... do what ya like.  ;)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48 PM »
I ve started another topic on the brakes, I thought that wouldn't annoy the admins as much as me rambling on and going off topic lol

It's your thread mate... do what ya like.  ;)

^^^ was going  to say same!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New or old ???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx