gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 01:04 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Newbie Racer!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Newbie Racer!  (Read 10603 times)

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Newbie Racer!
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Something I've always wanted to do since I was 10 years old is race, 36 years later I attended my first training session at Braintree Bullets club and loved it!  Late last year I bought my 2019 GT Speed Series and it felt perfect on Saturday at the training session.   

I was told the first session was just an intro to see if I can ride a bike, 2 minutes later they said your fine join the group for training.  Some sprint training, gate practice and learning to manual over doubles was awesome!  The bike handles superb and I still can't believe how light it is as I'm used to park bikes which I thought were light until I got the GT. 

If anyones interested I'll keep track of my progress on here as I find Mikku's posts on here interesting. Also any updates to the bike I will also add.

Cheers! 

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Newbie Racer!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:46 AM »
Excellent stuff!! Welcome to the over 40s who race club! :daumenhoch:

Look forward to reading all about it on here. Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:

Nice-looking bike btw! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Thanks!  Love the look of this bike, it got quite a bit of attention at the track, especially with the disc brake. First thing to replace when I have some money are the pedals as they're a bit slippy in the dirt.

Excellent stuff!! Welcome to the over 40s who race club! :daumenhoch:

Look forward to reading all about it on here. Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:

Nice-looking bike btw! :coolsmiley:

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Looks fun and fast  :daumenhoch:

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56 AM »
It is fun, i've not got it up to the fast bit yet lol. 

Looks fun and fast  :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:20 AM »
That GT is nice.  :smitten:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

griff

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:41 PM »
Great stuff - keep us all posted  fistblump

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 05:04 PM »

It's stunning in the metal. Rides really nice too.

That GT is nice.  :smitten:

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Thanks, will do  :)

Great stuff - keep us all posted  fistblump

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Thanks!  Love the look of this bike, it got quite a bit of attention at the track, especially with the disc brake. First thing to replace when I have some money are the pedals as they're a bit slippy in the dirt.

What pedals are on there now? & what shoes are you wearing? Staying with flats or thinking about clipping in?

I’m on flats (DMR V12s) with Vans and that combination keeps me locked in fine. But then, as you may have read, I’m not the fastest of riders!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:07 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 05:12 PM »

It's got plastic GT pedals that came with it.  They're not great on the track but ok for now.  Probably stay with flats for a while but have no fear of clipping in as used to use them on my old mtb, a bit worrying at first but soon get used to them.
I'm wearing old Nike high tops as I don't mind them getting bashed up but probably get some more vans when they're knocking them out :-).  I was looking at the HT pedals they look good with good reviews.

How do you find the carbon forks?  I just worry about them breaking lol.

What pedals are on there now? & what shoes are you wearing? Staying with flats or thinking about clipping in?

I’m on flats (DMR V12s) with Vans and that combination keeps me locked in fine. But then, as you may have read, I’m not the fastest of riders!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:06 AM »
Haven’t yet had a chance to test the new forks in anger, but am due back out on track this weekend, so will report back then. Yeah, I’ve read the horror stories about carbon fork failure but tbh, with my level of riding and the tracks I race on, I’m not too worried. Famous last words! ;D

Back to pedals, I’ve never clipped in, so can’t compare the two but most of the more serious guys I see racing over here do so, so there must be something in it. Not for me though! "nono"

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Update on my training.  Well I attended my second training session on Saturday and I took a while to get into it.  After an hour I started to find my stride and things started to go well again.  My fitness has improved a lot since the first session as I have been working hard in the gym.  Got the manuals going near the end of the session then I had a fall as the front wheel came up too high. 
All good though, straight back on and tried again, same thing happened!  Problem is I landed awkwardly on my foot and my foot rolled resulting in a fractured ankle!  So now I'm in plaster and looks like I won't be training for a while, very frustrating! 
I did have a good time and already I'm dying to get back training.
They've been a great crowd at Braintree and were good when I was laying on the ground resting up from the crash.
So in the mean time I will just be watching plenty of youtube videos on racing and looking at bike parts lol.
I will be back :-).

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:42 PM »
That sucks about the injury, get well soon fella  fistblump

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 09:58 PM »
That sucks about the injury, get well soon fella  fistblump

Thanks!  Can't wait t o get back to it. 

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about that mate! We definitely don't bounce like we used to, eh! Thumbs down

Here's to a speedy recovery, during which you can pick up some new pedals! :daumenhoch:

Btw, my carbon forks held up fine on their first race outing a few weeks ago. Can definitely notice the lighter front end but in view of your recent experiences, maybe I shouldn't go too light up front!!! :D

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:59 AM »
That's a shame about the stack. Hopefully you'll be back out there soon.
On the plus side, now you know the balance point of the bike and to not exceed it  ;)

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Sorry to hear about that mate! We definitely don't bounce like we used to, eh! Thumbs down

Here's to a speedy recovery, during which you can pick up some new pedals! :daumenhoch:

Btw, my carbon forks held up fine on their first race outing a few weeks ago. Can definitely notice the lighter front end but in view of your recent experiences, maybe I shouldn't go too light up front!!! :D

Thanks!  Lol, I usually bounce ok, but not this time!  Yep,  looking at race parts but mainly pedals, so far looking at HT and Hope.

Good to hear about the carbon forks, maybe I will stick to cromo for now as you say, don't want my front end any lighter at the moment lol. 

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 10:43 AM »
That's a shame about the stack. Hopefully you'll be back out there soon.
On the plus side, now you know the balance point of the bike and to not exceed it  ;)

Thanks, I hoe so! 

Lol, I hope so but will probably forget when I'm back at the track! 

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22 PM »

Thanks!  Lol, I usually bounce ok, but not this time!  Yep,  looking at race parts but mainly pedals, so far looking at HT and Hope.

Good to hear about the carbon forks, maybe I will stick to cromo for now as you say, don't want my front end any lighter at the moment lol.

bike looks great but sorry to hear you crashed!

as for pedals Shimano XT large are brilliant and about half the price of Hope or HT from chainreaction atm

Offline chownie

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Thanks, love it and can't wait to get riding again, hopefully won't be long now till i'm back.  I was looking at the XT's the other day and the Saints, good to know the XT's are good :-) 

bike looks great but sorry to hear you crashed!

as for pedals Shimano XT large are brilliant and about half the price of Hope or HT from chainreaction atm

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 07:35 AM »
The Hope F20 Pedals are quite nice. Currently run them as they seem to just work with the Vans pattern.
Pins are definitely long enough you wont be slipping off them.
Thats my only problem with some pedals, having enough grip that you wont slip, but not having the pins too long that you tear apart shoes.
Used to run Blackspire Sub4s which were awesome, except tore my shoes apart as they were quite narrow pins.

If you can, try to see how they go with whatever shoes you run and then go from there.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Newbie Racer!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx