gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 09:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wheel sizing dilemma
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wheel sizing dilemma  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Wheel sizing dilemma
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:47 PM »
It's become apparent that my pockets aren't deep enough to buy the wheels I need for my build. It doesn't help that I'm stupidly going for nos or minty early 80's bits. So I should be looking for 20 X 1.75 Ukai Powerbite rims ( never seen them) with Suzue sealed hubs, I'm thinking about buying the Suzue hubs (maybe loose ball) and a pair of Ukai Z2 20x 1 1/8 rims and having them built. From what I've read, they are OK for mini, junior and expert frames. My build is the Procraft Ultima 20, so they would work, I think.  Have any of you guys dropped rim size like this ? Are there any problems to think about ie brake compatibility (I'm going with DC MX 1000 copies) ? Will they look silly, too skinny ? I could just slap some new tuff II's on but I wanna do it right. Your opinions and thoughts as usual very much welcome.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:07 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Wheel sizing dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24 PM »
If you're gonna ride it you don't wanna be using 1-1/8 rims Toby... definitely too skinny.  :daumenhoch:

Are you not looking for Ukai Speedlines. Never heard of Powerbites... they sound like tyres. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Like Nick said, skinnies are not ideal for riding

You'll also need to use either 610 or 630 serial size calipers to fit skinny rims and obviously different tyres and tubes
Still limping......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 10:59 PM »
Most likely man cave bling and the odd ride around the park. It is just a thought about the wheels and your right. I do weigh probably more than twice as much as my 12 year old self. Bad idea lol. Another rethink and my kidney in the for sale section. I've read the spec a few times to make sure and it says rims Ukai Powerbite. The tyres are listed as Burmbusters!  The spec is a bit dubious as it lists the seat clamp as a DC tech 2, which is an unknown too. I've attached the spec sheet so you can see it in print. Might need zooming in a bit.

Already bought the Calipers so it's another reason not to be a wally.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:02 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24 PM »
Like Nick said, skinnies are not ideal for riding

You'll also need to use either 610 or 630 serial size calipers to fit skinny rims and obviously different tyres and tubes

So Shimano Tourney 72s Calipers would be too long a reach ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Wheel sizing dilemma

gfxgfx
gfx gfx