gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 06:05 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2018 Race Blog - Keeping it RAD in Japan!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2018 Race Blog - Keeping it RAD in Japan!  (Read 24103 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: 2018 Race Blog - Keeping it RAD in Japan!
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Due to “unforeseen circumstances” I missed last Sunday’s race!! From page 658 of the BMX Book of Excuses, on Friday I stubbed my toe and ripped half the nail off! :loser:  I could possibly have ridden around that but following a 13-hour round trip drive on Saturday, the thought of racing in the mid-30 degree temperatures forecast for Sunday was not an attractive one. I felt bad not going but looking at the race results, there was a low turnout all round, with my class being merged with the younger (& much faster) over 14s, so that wouldn’t have been much fun anyway.

So I’m now sat here in my new home, some 300-odd miles from Midoriyama, looking forward to the next race there in 2 weeks time! This is the JOSF Night Race, which is the biggest event of the year. Fortunately, I’m going to be in Tokyo for just over a week around that time, so should be able to make both the race and the practice day on the 9th. Further “unforeseen circumstances” permitting of course! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 04:34 AM »
Am now back in Tokyo, so yesterday made the much more palatable, 50-odd mile trip down to Midoriyama for the official practice session. Unfortunately I didn't check the JOSF home page before I left and therefore failed to see that the 10am to 3pm session had been changed to 9 to noon, due to filming at the site. I was therefore somewhat surprised when I rocked up at half eleven to find a full-on film set in what is normally the car park/paddock area! :wtf:

Having made the 1-hour drive to get there, I was bloody well not going to miss the opportunity to ride, so quickly got kitted up and onto the track. Despite the session being continually interrupted by filming (we had to stop riding when they were filming scenes), I managed to practice the various sections of the track a few times. As well as enjoying being back on track again, I was really concentrating on being smooth, focusing on riding position and posture. Then when the filming stopped for lunch, we were able to have a 20-minute gate session, which was a bonus, as I need as much practice as possible before this coming Sunday's Night Race. Hopefully the filmset will have gone by then! :2gunsfiring_v1:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 07:52 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Race day/night tomorrow! Have been out in the local park a few times this week doing both sprint and stamina training, so am feeling in better shape than last Sunday but am still bloody nervous! Race report and pics to follow! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:05 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 04:12 AM »
I enjoyed (and survived) my 2nd Night Race last weekend, though as previously, the results were nothing much to write home about. ::)

There were 6 of us in my class and only 5 made it through to the main. Sadly that didn't include me but on the plus side, I was battling the others for the first straight at least. In the first moto I entered the first berm in 4th but was overtaken soon thereafter. In the 2nd moto I encountered the same problem as mentioned in an earlier post, namely being on the inside and in this case, muddy line into the first berm and then being unable to hold off the others on a faster, drier line. In the 3rd moto I surprised myself by being 3rd or 4th out of the gate and managed to keep the riders either side of me at bay until the first berm, then again lost out, though was able to keep on their tails until the finish. Lessons learnt:- I still need to be more aggressive or at least more race savvy going into, through and out of that first berm plus I need to work on my power and/or stamina because the others leave me behind in the second straight! To that end the 4th pic shows my new training bike! It needs a new front wheel but I'm hoping it will get me out more, and more importantly, fitter! :daumenhoch:

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45 AM »
You're getting there Mick. The more you spend out there the better your craft will become.

If it makes you feel better, someone got 5th in the Semi on the weekend.  :(
Last to the bottom of the hill each time (we have transponders for timing), yet hauled past beyond that.

Something to learn, which does take courage at first is, don't be afraid to move across if you are in front of the people next to you. Squeeze them out.
But also you have to consider the track and how to get around the corners if you are going to make such a move.
Prime example, this weekends first berm we had to hit it no lower than about the middle, to carry top speed out for a stupid fast 2nd straight.
They may also be gaining speed purely from getting backside on jumps, from things such as pumping. Or if they are manualling they could be getting "backside" on the front of the jump by using the face to pick up speed.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Thanks mate! Out of the gate in the 3rd moto I actually (I think for the first time) moved across to block the rider to my right and it worked until he got me back going through the first berm. Typing this, I realise that I don’t often practise the berm itself, concentrating instead on the straights either side. I’m therefore going to rectify that at the next practice session, hopefully next month, though I think I’m going to miss the actual October race. We’ll see.

The other thing that constantly surprises me is that despite my back of the pack exploits, I’m still loving the racing. 35 years ago I would have given up by now! Wait a minute, that’s what I did!! ::) But now I’m just enjoying the whole racing experience. Of course it would be nice to be more competitive but I don’t do anywhere near enough training to warrant that, so I can’t complain! :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 06:37 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  nice one , tis all about the smiles  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Smiling works for me! :daumenhoch:

Found this pic from the practice session:-

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15 AM »
Sunday was race day at Midoriyama but as anticipated, I couldn't make the trip down. In fact, the Crupi is still in Tokyo, so I haven't ridden it for over a month now, though the other day I did go for a spin around the rice fields on the Laserlite! :slayer:

Although I haven't been doing much riding, I have been researching alternative tracks for next season. The nearest is a 2 and a half hour drive away but they don't have a regular race calendar. I may check it out though at some point as it looks quite fun. There are two other options but both are 3 and a half hours away - not ideal but do-able in a day and certainly easier than the trip to Midoriyama! The first is down in Osaka, which is quite a modern-looking track, and the other is up the coast in Niigata, and looks similar-ish to Midoriyama. The latter's final race of the season is this coming Sunday, so I'm going to drive up there and have a nose around. Pics to follow! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I aborted yesterday's planned trip to Niigata due to crappy weather, so here's a vid of the track to give you an idea:-

/>
It looks quite good, albeit long, so I'm definitely going to check it out next season. I may also get down to the Osaka track before the year's out, just to see how that compares. In the meantime there are 2 more races at Midoriyama, at least one of which I plan to go to. :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2018, 08:45 AM »
cool vid  8) :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Yeah, just wish I had those riding skills! :bow:

Next race at Midoriyama is this Sunday, but I can't make it. Annoyingly, I'm going back to Tokyo next weekend, so am hoping that it rains and there's a 1-week postponement! On a brighter note, my training bike is now back on the road, so I've no excuse to be unfit! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Popped back to Tokyo at the weekend and was reacquainted with my Crupi - love this bike!! First took it for a spin in the local park then the following day popped it in the back of the Scooby and went up to Kawaguchi race track for a couple of hours! It was great to blow away the cobwebs! :daumenhoch:

Next race is on Sunday 9th and is the season's final race at Midoriyama! If I can make it back down there, I will, as I really want to get back out there again before the season's end! There's also a race at the Osaka track this coming weekend, so had been thinking about heading down there for that as well, if only to have a look, but now have other plans. That means it's Midoriyama or bust!!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2018, 12:51 PM »
The Sunday before last saw the Final Race of the JOSF season but unfortunately I didn’t see it, let alone participate in it, as I didn’t make the planned trip back to Tokyo. I could have gone but for various reasons decided against it - it would have cost me a good 200 quid for a start!! I did, however, spend some of the money I saved on next year’s JOSF membership! I’m not sure how many races I’ll be able to make but I’m hoping to go to at least a few and get my full race fix at one or both of the other tracks in Niigata and Osaka. But that’s next year, what about this one?

As with last year, it’s been a steep learning curve but I’m still enjoying the challenge of it all. Missing the final three races of the season has been disappointing but looking back, it wasn’t too bad a year. Six races in total and although I often ended up at the back of the pack, I was generally more competitive than last year. Baby steps and all that. Plus on the bright side, I didn’t end up in hospital. Ignoring the physiotherapy treatment for a herniated disc! ::)

Thanks again to all of you who have read, commented on or followed this year’s blog, plus those who have messaged me with advice and suggestions. As always, much appreciated! :daumenhoch:

So that was my 2018 Race Blog. Now based on the other side of Japan, 2019 will mix things up a bit and hopefully see me check out a few other tracks. Until then, Merry Christmas from the Land of the Rising Sun and Godzilla Christmas trees!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:55 PM by Mikku »

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Love the look of that night race track! I wish I was 30 years youger lol ....notice on the moto sheets your down as team 0  tell em next time you 'Team Rad!'  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2018 Race Blog - Keeping it RAD in Japan!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx