gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 11:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  SHOW N SHINE QUESTION
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SHOW N SHINE QUESTION  (Read 7088 times)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
SHOW N SHINE QUESTION
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:58 PM »
O.K...a question i probably already know the answer to but i am just curious about opinions.....
Would a bike with beigey alloy hubbed white tuffs which are totally original and untouched/ unbleached / not aqua blasted be marked down in any way in the show n shine at MK for instance?
My feeling is  probably yes but i am interested in what people have to say all the same.... :-\
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Re: SHOW N SHINE QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21 PM »
It depends on the build ... my all OG Haro Master has slightly off white OG tuffs .. and won 1st place ..  it just depends on the build I think mate  fistblump
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 11:08 PM »
If they are original finish, and in very good or better condition, then that can only be a positive. Very good original beats very good restored👍🏆

Offline dennyking

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:41 PM »
That’s a good question Damo. I don’t really know what the show & shine criteria is either.  As far as I can tell, almost none of my bikes are suitable for entry. I do know that over restored isn’t appreciated. Tuffs that show there age wouldn’t be marked less than ones that had been bleached, blasted etc. You entering? I really hope I get to catch up with you at MK this year mate :4_17_5:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:32 AM »
That’s a good question Damo. I don’t really know what the show & shine criteria is either.  As far as I can tell, almost none of my bikes are suitable for entry. I do know that over restored isn’t appreciated. Tuffs that show there age wouldn’t be marked less than ones that had been bleached, blasted etc. You entering? I really hope I get to catch up with you at MK this year mate :4_17_5:

Yea...debating it mate,
i have a lovely pair of ally hub tuffs with only 1 small crack, very original, very nice but they are defo off white. i want to peroxide them ideally but something can't bring me to touch them!! i kinda almost like the beigey look somehow..although i am sure it would look loads better if they were actually white!...or whiter.....but then the beige shows originality.... :-\
i just wondered what peoples opinions were..
Hell yea definitely need to catch up at MK this year!  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:05 AM »
I think a lot of people think that dirty is the same as discoloured. They are different though.  It is called show and shine for a reason.   

If all of the bike is looking NOS and you have discoloured Tuffs they can look out of place. 
If you have a nice bike with discoloured Tuffs it is different it can look right, it is about getting the balance right.

It is far more sacrilege to chuck a load of repop/new parts on a bike IMO.  The quality of the builds is so good you will probably not get away with it in some of the larger Categories like Old school race and Freestyle.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 12:14 AM »
I think a lot of people think that dirty is the same as discoloured. They are different though.  It is called show and shine for a reason.   

If all of the bike is looking NOS and you have discoloured Tuffs they can look out of place. 
If you have a nice bike with discoloured Tuffs it is different it can look right, it is about getting the balance right.

It is far more sacrilege to chuck a load of repop/new parts on a bike IMO.  The quality of the builds is so good you will probably not get away with it in some of the larger Categories like Old school race and Freestyle.

Thanks for clarifying that Brett....i thought that was pretty much the case.
i have been looking for some replacements for years but with no luck. Peroxide it will be i think,
i love the look of the Skyway Anniversary tuffs but would never put them on the bike as although they would be white, the rest of the bike is all 80's parts and carefully tweaked over the years...not  a repop in sight! i may get a pair for riding though  :-\

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 09:05 AM »
repops never on a proper show bike.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  SHOW N SHINE QUESTION

gfxgfx
gfx gfx