gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 11:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  So where's Alan's finding all these old school bmx frame's from?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So where's Alan's finding all these old school bmx frame's from?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
As above they seem to have alot of old school bikes for sale? well lets say OS f+f sets with re-pop parts mainly  ....so do you think they are just buying them to cash in or ? .....I'd say some of the frame sets would be nice to buy on there own but prices kinda put's you off when loaded with the re-pop parts as cant really see that kind of value in there completes? I'm not dissing re-pop parts as they have a place somewhere I guess.... just interested to know your thoughts?

ps..not dissing Alans either as their a great outlet and he is a top bloke  ;)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: So where's Alan's finding all these old school bmx frame's from?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:19 PM »
I think he's actively buying framesets specifically to load em up with repop parts and sell em on. I know repop come in handy for a budget build and some folk are more than happy to use em on their builds but i honestly think the market for them is very limited tbh.

He had a GT Elite frameset, bars, grips, rims, seat post and clamp off me a coupla years ago... loaded it with repop then flogged it. He posted a few framesets on Instagram a while ago too including a GHP (not long after Wundawend had a load of em up on ebay)... i guess he built it the same way and sold that too.

I think it's his way of making a few bob and shifting some repop parts all at the same time. Can't really fault him tbh... he's been around forever and the os boom has given him the chance to cash in after 30 odd years of twiddling his thumbs.  :LolLolLolLol:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I agree with Nick, Alan as well as being a “Godfather” in the UK OSBMX scene is also a businessman and a business that thrived for decades when a lot of similar shops switched the lights off and shut the doors. Who can blame him for cashing in, I see it as his reward for his continued contribution.

However, my issue is, the guys he has building these bikes for him appear to all be too young to remember OS therefore are slightly off target with how a bike should look. It seems that all the potential resources  (parts/tools/time) are there, but the finished product looks a bit thrown together with one or two dubious looking grips, pedals etc. I’d like to see interaction from Alan regarding this, but obviously I’m only basing my opinions on if I was buying a bike off him myself, which I’m not.

I’m sure that he has a queue of buyers that aren’t bothered about dodgy looking pedals, grips and tyres, there’s plenty of non OS purists that just want to get involved in the retro buzz.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:46 PM by Retrodan72 »

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:46 PM »
i thought most of his frames were left over stock.....
As Dan and Nick said, can't fault alan as there is most definitely a market for these kind of bikes.....But yea, a little more thought and they could look great with the repop parts he has at his disposal....
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57 PM »
There are 3 or 4 of his Old School builds that have been there (unsold) for at least 5 months. So I am not sure there is much 'cashing in' going on.

Several of them have big price reductions too.

So it seems the market for fully built 80's bikes with repop stuff is not that buoyant to me.

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Alan was buying frame sets last year at MK and the year before. He picked up a green GT performer that I had my eye on.
Saw him and a couple of his staff coming back to his stall late Sunday afternoon with frames underneath each arms.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:42 PM »
There are 3 or 4 of his Old School builds that have been there (unsold) for at least 5 months. So I am not sure there is much 'cashing in' going on.

Several of them have big price reductions too.

So it seems the market for fully built 80's bikes with repop stuff is not that buoyant to me.

Totally agree with this. Also a few are listed on eBay for less than their own site with free shipping! Less their fees I can't see a huge profit for them, unless their picking up the frame sets dirt cheap. I noticed on the grey venom the original wheels were being sold separately and a new pair of skyways were fitted. I know that's good business but not very sympathetic for the bikes build. I like Taipan would possibly like the chance to buy a  frame set they have before they build it up, they would probably make more off of the parts though. I have and will continue to buy from Alan's, they are always friendly, helpful and their customer service and shipping service is fantastic.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 02:53 PM »
That grey venom almost makes sense at the current money.

The Gold Goose is hideous though.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Would have the frame set and refinish it. Only 3 or 4 OG or nos parts on it. I might have to go for the SE Racing wheels on my build though  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Alan was buying frame sets last year at MK and the year before. He picked up a green GT performer that I had my eye on.
Saw him and a couple of his staff coming back to his stall late Sunday afternoon with frames underneath each arms.

I tried to get that green GT off him but he powdered it white for a customer!
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 04:48 PM »

I tried to get that green GT off him but he powdered it white for a customer!

what a shitter... ::)
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I might have to go for the SE Racing wheels on my build though  :LolLolLolLol:

I have the perfect tyres for you to use in my garage (two tone you know).

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 05:59 PM »
I have the perfect tyres for you to use in my garage (two tone you know).
[/quote]

Oh yes TYREGATE  :LolLolLolLol:, I saw the tyres and the comments but they've found their final resting place in your garage I reckon   "nono" r.i.p

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:04 PM »
They do all seem to have the exact same mirage branded parts on each one, but there must be a market out there for them. I guess not everyone is as 'hardcore' about OS builds regarding tracking down era correct parts and building them up as factory correct etc.

Offline Smidsy

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:05 PM »
I guess not everyone is as 'hardcore' about OS builds regarding tracking down era correct parts and building them up as factory correct etc.

I resemble that remark!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 04:25 PM »
AGGGHHH, They hurt my eyes!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 11:41 AM »
That grey venom almost makes sense at the current money.

Hats off to Alan's, they have serviced and rebuilt the original wheels and reunited them with the bike. IMO making it more appealing and better looking. Nice one lads 👍🏼

Offline welsh denny

• Curb Endo
  • 30+ years in the saddle.thank god for padded seats
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 04:55 PM »
I know a few Cardiff Over 40's crew have sold on some of their old school bikes to Alan's or traded for new skool ride.

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 05:19 PM »
I know a few Cardiff Over 40's crew have sold on some of their old school bikes to Alan's or traded for new skool ride.

Fook ..
Long time no see .. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline turbomax

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • out in the cave tinkering
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58 PM »
i wanted a 97 master to go with my others and he had some built up so i bought one. at the money it cost me was to cheap to say no.

ive seen frames and forks on sale for the price i paid for the whole bike.

when it was in shipment i phoned up and said why is the bike i bought on ebay and the shop still.  the lad said o we have a few of those bikes made up i aksed how come he said we bought the old frames up.

some of the parts really bad i mean shocking. but for the money i swapped out and happy with purchase. only downside for me its tiny so much smaller then my 85 master pain to ride.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  So where's Alan's finding all these old school bmx frame's from?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx