gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 03:05 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wire Wheels brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wire Wheels brakes  (Read 1479 times)

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Wire Wheels brakes
« on: April 10, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Last year I finished my Ammaco Mongoose Wire Wheel with lots of invaluable help from good folks on here.  However relating to this build i have a final question.  My nine year old has used the bike as a park ride in dry weather only but we find the brakes are pants.

I have used new brake cables and have the original pads on the front and I put some recommended ones (Alans BMX) on the back, but the brakes are really pants.  Is it because the original Diacompes are not up to the job or the wrong pads on ACS rims

Any ideas?  Cheers Nick

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Wire Wheels brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:24 PM »
I have a diamondback with a dia compe mx890 on the rear that won't bloody stop, so i too am interested in this topic. The mx1000 on my kuwahara works much better? that does have that central adjuster thingy though! i don't remember the brakes on Bmx's being so bad bitd, though idid weigh considerably less!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50 PM »
mmmmm I weigh more as well!!!! but my Lad is only 9 so he should be able to stop.  TBF it's not a huge deal as we just go for a cruise and in the park near to where I live in Sheffield.  The bike gets a lot of attention which is cool as definitely never going to be up there with the classsic BMXs.  Also it's my first go at this so my time and attention to details hasn't been great.

Is your MX1000 a re pop?  I've not heard many positive things about them but i can get a pair for £45 and if they stop my boy hitting a dog or wee child then thats ok!

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Nah both brakes are original, but i've also have heard bad things about the repops, i've never used them though, so i can't confirm :( I think it's just that i don't know how to set up brakes right, there probs a link on here about how to do them correctly.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Bring it round to mine over the weekend and I'll check what's wrong as those clear sticky pads should stick like shit to a blanket so it sounds like they aren't toed in correctly :daumenhoch:

Drop me a pm - I'm in Whirlow in Sheffield :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline nickd164

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:47 PM »
 :) thanks message sent

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:49 AM »
He’s going to try and touch you  :-X

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 08:45 AM »
He’s going to try and touch you  :-X

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Wire Wheels brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx