gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 09:10 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New build thread
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New build thread  (Read 9415 times)

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
New build thread
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:18 PM »
Well to get me back into the swing of things I'm going to be building my bike from 1983
Ammaco Team Sprint in black
Picked up a part complete bike and stripped it, I'm building as I bought it new, totally stock with ACS Z rims in black.
Already stripped the bike, original forks, crank, spider, SR stem and Ammaco chain wheel. Just not sure if I should Polish as survivor or strip and re chrome..

2nd build is a 84 Diamond Back pacer 500 got the frame and forks and crank and a nos original decal set with it.

Will keep you all up to date with progress

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Formally Wolfiehere on here early 2000's

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
Re: New build thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Nice,

If the chrome can be saved then thats best imo
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44 AM »
Yeah, definitely don't go the re-chrome route unless you've tried everything else to recover the chrome first as modern plating doesn't look as good (they used toxic chemicals in the process BITD apparently) and my god it is expensive...... :shocked:

Don't use tin-foil btw. There's a sticky thread in the tech section about oxy-whatsit acid in paddling pools and then Peek polish with Goddard cloths from memory, so have a read of that first fistblump
Still limping......

In2bmx

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24 AM »
looking forward to seeing it finished  :daumenhoch:

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00 AM »
Look forward to the DB Pacer 500 build. Built a Pacer 500/Viper last year, it can get very confusing if your going for specific parts as some Pacer's were sold as Vipers bitd. My Pacer frame was stickered as a Viper so i have used a bit of both. From my research a true Pacer actually used this chainring, think that one on your pic is a Lun Chi one piece that was found primarily on Vipers (though someone will probably correct me).  "help"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Two builds in one thread! Excellent stuff!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 12:59 PM »
It would be a Pacer though if it's got 500 stamped on the rear dropouts

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Well that's the thing, my Viper has 500 stamped on the dropouts, but it was originally sold as a Viper (it had Viper stickers)...so mine was probably a left-over Pacer 500 frame that Diamondback stickered and sold as a Viper (apparently the Pacer 500 sold badly, so they sold the remaining stock as Vipers).

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 11:17 PM »
Well that's the thing, my Viper has 500 stamped on the dropouts, but it was originally sold as a Viper (it had Viper stickers)...so mine was probably a left-over Pacer 500 frame that Diamondback stickered and sold as a Viper (apparently the Pacer 500 sold badly, so they sold the remaining stock as Vipers).
Do you have a spec list for the 500 ? The crank in mine is the original I'm told the guy I had it off has owned it from new, stripped it to restore but got left and he has plenty of others also,

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 12:22 PM »
If you go on the BMX Museum website in the reference section there is a catalogue for the Diamondback complete range for 1984 (mine is an 84 so i have used this A LOT for reference). The Pacer specs are on there. There's also a lot of Vipers / Pacers on the site. I have attached an image of a complete Pacer 500 from the museum, note the chainring. I am not sure of the crank used in the Pacer, the specs don't say exactly but if yours has JMI165 stamped on it, i know this was definately used on Vipers.  ;)

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Pacer 500 pages from the catalogue! fistblump

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 06:50 PM »
If you go on the BMX Museum website in the reference section there is a catalogue for the Diamondback complete range for 1984 (mine is an 84 so i have used this A LOT for reference). The Pacer specs are on there. There's also a lot of Vipers / Pacers on the site. I have attached an image of a complete Pacer 500 from the museum, note the chainring. I am not sure of the crank used in the Pacer, the specs don't say exactly but if yours has JMI165 stamped on it, i know this was definately used on Vipers.  ;)
Where will it be stamped ?

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 02:24 PM »
It would be stamped on the part that's inside the bottom bracket shell like this one

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 05:08 PM »
It would be stamped on the part that's inside the bottom bracket shell like this one
Ah okay not got round to taking the DB appart yet

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Well done a bit today cleaned up the spider on the Ammaco and changed chain wheel and seat clamp from red to black. Also started on the citric acid bath on both frames.
Decal and pad set ordered for Ammaco sumo wheels en route with courier the bars are past a acid bath so will go off for chroming on Tuesday, the SR stem cleaned up.
Black Chen Shin comp 3 tyres are on the way, all the parts what were standard new.
I am struggling on Chen star silver mx calipers and tec 3 levers, missed a set with cables the other day for £28 posted (gutted a understatement).

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 04:11 PM »
DB crank

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Well took the frames out after 24h the DB came out good enough for a survivor but the Ammaco I'm not happy with so it's going for re chroming, especially as I'm rebuilding my childhood bike with it.
But I've put the Nos decals on the DB ready for the build

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Nice builds  :)

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 10:08 AM »
That Pacer is looking good!  :)

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Bit more done today as a few parts landed, the Victor 80s pedals we're shall we say showing there age, and the blue was not right for the Ammaco as they were silver, so I stripped them down, gave them a soak in thinners for a hour, then wire brushed them down, a bit of a fine file here and there then sat with the polishing paste for a few hours ready for re Greece and reassemble tomorrow.. sumo wheels next.

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Couldnt help myself today and bought a few more bits

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Couldn't help myself today and bought a few more bits

Offline Warnerlewis

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 05:24 PM »
Bit more done today on re creating my childhood bike.. the Ammaco Team Sprint, I eventually decided on leaving the original chrome and polished to a inch of it's life. Got the original SR442 stem the original Lee chin mx brakes, Ammaco original bars and crank and Ammaco stamped chainwheel, when I was bought the bike back in 83 my father paid extra as I wanted black Z rims on so I got some of those with SR loose ball hubs, all pads and decals replicated by Steve Dobson. Just aero seat and Layback to go and hey presto my bike when I was 11.

Offline PHIL9HUF

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15 AM »
Super work so far bet you cant wait to get it finished :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 10:33 PM »
Looking good . Gonna be a nice build this  8) :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New build thread

gfxgfx
gfx gfx