gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 09:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tange Hotheart
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tange Hotheart  (Read 5319 times)

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Tange Hotheart
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:17 PM »
So as some of you may know me I kind of lurk in the shadows with builds that take years and accumulate parts when they pop up in the right condition and at the right price  ;) I’m probably about ready to start building it up now as I have all the parts either here, being sent or being refinished!
I got this 1983 Tange Hotheart about two and a half years back, the parts were trash but the frame was pretty tidy and no damage at all besides a few scuffs, I didn’t want another spec build as they all seem to take forever and as these Hothearts seem to lend themselves as E.T’s so I decided upon making it look like one of the bikes from the E.T chase scene we all grew up with and loved!
Here’s how it came into my possession!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I stripped it down to the Frame & Forks and put it away in a cupboard with all the other shite, got a few pictures of stevies bike of the tinterweb and began my parts hunt!
I kind of went with the E.T spec with a few other small differences here and there depending on what came up for sale and what I gave up on finding, I’ve pretty much got most parts now and the SBD sent my frame back today so it’s almost time to rock and roll and hopefully it’ll be ready for MK!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:27 PM by Bmx Brookes »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Re: Tange Hotheart
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Looking good mate...
Nice to see a something different than the classic red et builds..
SBD does do some great work  fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:41 PM »
Love the colour scheme! This is going to look great. Hopefully it’ll be done in time for MK  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:37 AM »
Thanks guys, I had some decals made up by Del that I’ll be applying this weekend, I didn’t want to drill the frame and try to pass it off as E.T as I love the heart gusset so I had some custom hotheart decals made up in the kuwahara font to keep the look of the bike from the film in keeping!

Offline dp and chopper dude

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:22 AM »
This is looking ACE! I love the idea of the decals  :daumenhoch:

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Thanks guys, I had some decals made up by Del that I’ll be applying this weekend, I didn’t want to drill the frame and try to pass it off as E.T as I love the heart gusset so I had some custom hotheart decals made up in the kuwahara font to keep the look of the bike from the film in keeping!
Nice decals. I’m also going a Hot heart ET, an these would look ace on mine, are they exclusive to you?
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Nice decals. I’m also going a Hot heart ET, an these would look ace on mine, are they exclusive to you?
I wouldn’t think so, Del may still have them on file!

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Always loved that colour scheme and the decals are a nice touch!  :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 01:12 PM »
This will look Awesome  explosion

Can't wait to see it finished  :4_17_5:

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07 PM »
I wouldn’t think so, Del may still have them on file!
sorted, SBD did my green green and white ET just after he had finished yours.

Many thanks,

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 05:13 PM by SDF »
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 10:10 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this built up  :daumenhoch: what colour parts are you going with?

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this built up  :daumenhoch: what colour parts are you going with?

Gold mate, speedlines, win slant stem, DC 890 & prebent lever, Sugino chainring, similar spec to a E.T!

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 09:15 PM »
I’ve managed to sort the stem out, I was unable to find a WIN gold top slant stem so I got hold of this one, the stem itself was in nice condition, to nice to rechrome in my opinion so I polished it up a little and resprayed the stem cap gold as close as I find a match to the original, just need to add the decal and it’s good to go!
Before

After

One small step a little closer!

Offline ammacopij72

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 08:27 AM »
This is going to be an awesome build, need a HH in my life.... :smitten:

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06 AM »
This is going to be an awesome build, need a HH in my life.... :smitten:

Thanks mate, let’s hope it turns out good!

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Keep it coming! Hot Hearts do seem to lend themselves to custom builds.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Looking great!  :4_17_5: keep the pics coming as you progress,nothing like restoring parts to suit the build  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 04:44 PM »
That going to be a nice build with a different theme  :)

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 09:50 PM »
I finally found half an hour to put the decals on the hotheart tonight, it looks good in my opinion but I’m not keen on the brown showing through the white lettering, when we all build these bikes I’d like to think we all try to get them as good as we can and it’s the smallest of things that niggle at us, this build has some niggles and I’ve hardly started, the brown showing though is one of them!

Anyway here’s the F&F decaled up!

Win stem ready to rock & roll too!

Sorry for the slow progress but that’s how I build em  ;D

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 10:47 PM »
I am building a black framed bike at the moment and I feel your pain with the white decals.
You will never be happy. Did Delcals know you were putting them over a dark colour, let alone a dark/light stripe? Maybe get them redone printed white over white, although I suspect Decals would have already done this. Get cues from the originals, were there decals over stripes back then? I have not checked but I do not think the stripes on the forks were in paint originally but were part of the decal? Pretty sure the stripes were decal also over a base?
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 10:56 PM »
I am building a black framed bike at the moment and I feel your pain with the white decals.
You will never be happy. Did Delcals know you were putting them over a dark colour, let alone a dark/light stripe? Maybe get them redone printed white over white, although I suspect Decals would have already done this. Get cues from the originals, were there decals over stripes back then? I have not checked but I do not think the stripes on the forks were in paint originally but were part of the decal? Pretty sure the stripes were decal also over a base?

The original E.T was decals but this is custom of a nine produced bike, Del did the decals I dobut he as well as I would have foreseen this, I’ll live with it for now, build it up for MK and maybe tweak a few bits afterwards, some builds are done and some builds end some are constantly evolving, I think this might be one of the evolving kind!

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 11:23 PM »
This build has had a niggle or two and had been pissing me right off, the decals shown the stripe details through and I just know that would have niggled away at me so I got onto Del and he knocked up another set and boom “me likely, no stripey!”

Looks a lot better now as a solid white lettering.

My bike was never going to be 100% mint and perfect but what I can try to get perfect or buy as mint as I can I will  :daumenhoch:

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Little things matter, those stickers look way better with the solid white!  :daumenhoch:

In2bmx

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Loving this Martin  :4_17_5:

Offline Bmx Brookes

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Thanks guys!
I had the wheels reanodised too, I decided to use UKAI speedlines with suntour HF hubs, I wanted box rims but struggled finding them in gold or good condition, Steve’s UKAI’s came up at a good price so I ran with a similar spec to the E.T and began stripping and polishing them for some gold anno!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tange Hotheart

gfxgfx
gfx gfx