gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 09:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  One comes, one goes!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: One comes, one goes!  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
One comes, one goes!
« on: July 07, 2019, 02:20 PM »
I’ve a new frame on the way (from the States), so thought it’s about time I sold on one of my bikes, more specifically my Redline 500a. I hasten to add that this is NOT a pre-sales thread, just thought it might be interesting to post. I therefore dug the old girl out of the shed today and took her out for a spin around the rice fields before taking her apart. I’ve been riding my Crupi a lot recently (both off and on track) and it’s been quite a while since I’ve ridden an old school bike. It was therefore a bit of a shock to the system! It’s not really comparing like with like I know (there’s nearly 30 years between them and the Crupi’s a much lighter and longer frame) but man, they’re like chalk and cheese!! With the Redline it feels like you’re perched on top of rather than part of the bike (if you know what I mean) and every time I stood up my knees nearly (and sometimes did) hit the bars. It took me a few minutes to get used to it again but then the memories started to flood back, aided by the hum of the Comp 3 tread on tarmac. :daumenhoch:

So the trip down memory lane completed, I got my spanners out and started to dismantle the bike. It’s also been a while since I did this and I spent an enjoyable hour or so getting my hands dirty. All in all, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: One comes, one goes!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Having put the crankset from the Redline onto my Laserlite, I gave it a quick test ride this morning, and in doing so, could do a back-to-back comparison with the ride of the Redline! Again, probably not a fair comparison because of the layback post and those huge MCS pro bars, but the Kuwi felt better to ride. Still nowhere near as good at the Crupi (of course) but more comfortable than the Redline. Yet another reason, as if I needed one, that the Laserlite's a keeper! :smitten:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Tall and wide bars make a small bike big; if you know what I mean. I recently rode a 1982 bike with 23 " bars and it was horrid, despite a 20" top tube! My other bikes have Laserbars, Nitto Powerbends and Tioga Pro bars. I had a GT Pro with set of modern High n Wide bars on it and it felt the beans. Just my thoughts.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Good point! If I'd had the foresight I'd have swapped out the bars on the Redline before taking it apart! Too late now! :loser:

Took the Crupi out for a training run this morning and as fun as it was to cruise around on the Redline and Laserlite, it was good to be back on my race bike. Horses for courses me thinks. :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Great thread.  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  One comes, one goes!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx