gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 09:04 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Project Q - Prototype Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Project Q - Prototype Build  (Read 31881 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Project Q - Prototype Build
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Thanks guys! I knew the answer before posting but was in denial! ;D The same applies to the fork crown race. ::)

Hey ho, 2 steps forward and one step back. At least that's better than 1 step forward and 2 steps back! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:26 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 01:39 PM »

Hey ho, 2 steps forward and one step back. At least that’s better than 1 step forward and 2 steps back! :daumenhoch:

I think that's the case with most builds, or at least it is with mine  :-[
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2020, 01:47 PM »
That's why they take so long!  :LolLolLolLol:

Wish I had the skills, not to mention tools and facilities but to be fair, I never had any of those bitd, so nothing's changed! :2funny:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 09:54 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2020, 12:01 PM »
Had another crack at the brakes today, cutting off 17cm of cable. Hopefully you'll agree that it looks much better. Also got my hands on a BB wrench, so could tighten up the BB cups. That meant with both brakes and BB in working order, I could take the bike out for a quick spin. :daumenhoch:

First impressions are... it's bloody loud. The Halo Clickster, that is, though with a name like that, perhaps that's no surprise. ;D

Also, whilst I like the look of the Eclat all-in-one seat/post combo, it means that I can't sit down, which is a pain in the arse knee, literally given my current knee problem. I may therefore switch out the seat for something I can actually sit down on for a proper shakedown ride. In the meantime, I'm going to have a crack at applying Del's decals!! :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:03 PM by Mikku »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2020, 01:41 PM »
Mikku,

That cable setup looks much better now buddy  :4_17_5:

**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10 PM »
Thanks man! Yeah, I was just being a lazy fooker, and in reality it only took about 10 minutes to shorten up. :uglystupid2:

Pissing down with rain here today, so may have to have a go at those decals!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:39 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2020, 11:05 PM »
Thankfully Del included a couple of spares because it took me a couple of goes to get it right, well, acceptable (to me) at any rate! Think they look great (despite the air bubbles)! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:27 PM by Mikku »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2020, 12:25 AM »

Nice  8)

Del = Decal Jedi Master
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2020, 07:32 AM »
& a top guy to boot! Not literally, of course! ;)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2020, 11:32 AM »
This thread is well in need of an update, mainly because the bike's finished. Well, sort of. I took it for a test ride and apart from the normal re-tightening up of nuts and bolts, everything looks ok, excluding the fork/headset combo, which still doesn't look quite right but since there's no play there, I've continued to ride it a couple of times a week, with the intention of whipping off the fork and replacing the crown race (with the new FSA one) as and when, and certainly before I take the bike to a track, which is the intention. However, work has now kicked in big time, so that "final" job is going to have to wait for another day. I did, however, switch out the Eclat all-in-one seat/post combo for something that I could actually sit down on. Anyway, enough chit-chat, here's some "finished" pics. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:39 AM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2020, 11:37 AM »
& a couple more with the useable seat set-up! :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2020, 02:39 PM »

Good stuff mate  :daumenhoch:

How does she ride ?

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Looking Tidy Mick, loving the raw look  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2020, 04:48 PM »
Tasty that , preferred it with the slammed seat though  fistblump

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2020, 07:17 PM »
^^^ what zz-top said ^^^  8)
Still limping......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Yeah, for looks and racing the Eclat seat combo wins hands down but for cruising round the rice fields, it's the Tioga all the way. It rides really well, though the acid test will be on track. Can't wait to see how it compares to the Crupi! It's certainly louder. If anyone runs a Halo Clickster, they'll know what I'm talking about! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Was toying with the idea of a day trip out to a bmx track that re-opened yesterday, with a view to testing the Quamen (and my knee) but decided it was too far (250km each way) too soon! So today I had a tinkering with bmx day instead including sorting out the fork crown race on Project Q!! Below is a pic of the protruding race as mounted followed by what it looks like after I removed it, as compared to the shiny FSA race on the right. As you can see, they're a completely different size! Which explains a lot! I can't tell you what the bike looks like now because although the FSA race is on, the frame now sits lower on the fork, so there's more steerer tube on display which means...I need another spacer! Since I don't want to cut the steerer tube, I'll therefore pop into my lbs this week to see if I can bag a spacer or two, otherwise I'll check out an mtb shop or hit up Amazon. Two steps forward, one step back, and STILL not finished! ::)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:47 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46 PM »
Picked up a spacer, so will try to get this done today! Famous last words! ::)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2020, 11:59 AM »
All done, as per the pics below. Also decided to change the 1.75 Maxxis Holy Roller on the front to a 1.5 DTH. This is with a view to a bit of a track session which I'm planning next weekend, weather permitting. I've sometimes used the knobblier Holy Roller on the tracks with dirt berms, especially when it's been damp but otherwise the DTH offers a much smoother and faster ride, especially through the rhythm sections. We'll see what happens next Sunday! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:02 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Race bikes need a race plate, so with the bike now running sweetly, I've turned my attention to a number plate. I was originally thinking of re-using my Pryme race plate from last year but although I like the front, the sticker-bombed back is a bit over the top for this build and I don't want to waste all those stickers but taking them off! I then saw and quickly picked up the "homemade number plate" shown below. Further investigation revealed that it was a 2-cycle Michael's custom plate that had been repainted by the seller. It's been done well and the colour and shape is perfect for Project Q, particularly if I do end up racing it. I may have to change out some of those stickers for something more in keeping with the bike (anyone got any Standard or Eclat stickers they want to offload??) and just in case I want to sticker-bomb the back, as is my way on race plates, I've also got various black and white stickers with a few red ones to throw on. What do you think?

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2020, 01:24 PM »
I gave the Quamen its track debut on Sunday, at the amusingly-named Gonzo Park track in Mie Prefecture, about 100 miles from home. As expected, it felt smaller than the Crupi and as a result, less stable in all areas. I didn't dislike it, it just felt different to what I'm used to. The more I rode it, the better it felt but as soon as I went back to the Crupi, I instantly felt more comfortable and confident. I'm not giving up on the Quamen just yet, as I'd like to try it out on a track that I know well. That said, I didn't buy the frame with the intention of racing it, so if it doesn't replace the Crupi as my race rig, I won't be disappointed.

On the plus side, the Quamen did get a lot of attention. A few of my regular rivals were there and one of them came over for a closer look and to take some pictures. He knew the brand and when I explained the story behind it, he said he knew the Japanese rider who had the white one mentioned earlier in this thread. He therefore sent one of his pictures to him, so I'll ask him what he said when I next see him. By this time a few other riders including some kids had gathered around to see what all the fuss was about. When the kids found out that it was chromoly, not alloy, they said that it must be heavy, which made us older guys laugh!! They did, however, like the raw finish, so partly redeemed themselves! Anyway, below is a pic of Project Q in action!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2020, 04:27 AM »

Good stuff Mick  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2020, 11:38 AM »
The Quamen has currently taken over the role as my training bike, which means hooning it around my local rice paddies! :daumenhoch: Having already switched out the Eclat seat post/seat combo for the Tioga D-Spyder (so that I can actually sit down on the thing), I've just made a third seat change. Although quite a comfortable seat for short rides, the Tioga was doing my arse no favours on longer rides, so I started looking for something more user-friendly! The result is better described here:-

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,196122.0.html

I actually like the look of the San Marco and think it goes better with the rest of the bike than the Tioga. More importantly, it's more comfortable. Not by much, I hasten to add, but at least the different shape of the seat will give my sore parts a bit of a respite! :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Beautiful ride.

I will do a raw bike one day now !

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2020, 11:41 PM »
Thanks man! I've wanted to do a raw bike for a few years now, so am glad to have finally had the chance with this. Plus I don't have to worry about the paintwork - a subject you know well! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Project Q - Prototype Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx