gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 11:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern bmx dilemma for my son
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Modern bmx dilemma for my son  (Read 1778 times)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Modern bmx dilemma for my son
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:03 PM »
My son has decided he wants a bmx for his 11th birthday so he can try doing some tricks.

I ain't a clue about modern stuff as they don't appeal to me.

Firstly what's happened to all the giro headsets as not many bikes seem to have them now.

Secondly and the weirdest is that some bikes look to have no brakes and the ones with a giro only have a rear. I thought it was law to have a front and rear. Even some of the so called freestyle look to have a rear brake but no giro so what's that all about

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Modern bmx dilemma for my son
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:16 AM »
Yep, things have changed but honestly, a modern BMX rides so much better than an old school it's crazy, like night and day different so if he wants to do tricks, make sure you go newschool  :coolsmiley:

I think the law about brakes applies to bikes sold for use on the road, so BMXs get around that fairly easily as they're for off-road use generally. Don't worry about him not having enough stopping power, a well set up rear centre-pull AD freestyle caliper with modern sticky brake pads will out-stop any pair of side-pull 80's calipers by a country mile! If he wants to do endos, then that's what your foot in the top of the forks is for these days...... :uglystupid2: ;D

The only rider we ride with these days who runs a front brake is NosepickBen and that's because his signature trick is.....  a nosepick, so he needs one!

As for you question about giros, they are a lot of hassle for an 11yr old and if there's any bar spinning going on, usually a rear only set-up will let you spin one turn with the length of cable  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:24 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Yep, things have changed but honestly, a modern BMX rides so much better than an old school it's crazy, like night and day different so if he wants to do tricks, make sure you go newschool  :coolsmiley:

I think the law about brakes applies to bikes sold for use on the road, so BMXs get around that fairly easily as they're for off-road use generally. Don't worry about him not having enough stopping power, a well set up rear centre-pull AD freestyle caliper with modern sticky brake pads will out-stop any pair of side-pull 80's calipers by a country mile! If he wants to do endos, then that's what your foot in the top of the forks is for these days...... :uglystupid2: ;D

The only rider we ride with these days who runs a front brake is NosepickBen and that's because his signature trick is.....  a nosepick, so he needs one!

As for you question about giros, they are a lot of hassle for an 11yr old and if there's any bar spinning going on, usually a rear only set-up will let you spin one turn with the length of cable  :daumenhoch:

It'll definitely be a modern bike as he's seen pics of all my old bikes and said they look naff lol.

You've answered why I don't see many giro bikes and I was wondering why some freestyle section bikes had a long rear cable.

I doubt he'll be doing any fancy stuff as it's all new to him but he's starting to push his boundaries which is a good thing.

This has now opened up loads more bmx's as I purely looked at giro headset bikes before.

I don't want to spend more that £400-£450 so guess I'll be busy googling over the next few weeks. Then find somewhere so he can plonk his backside on one to try for size

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Not sure where you are based in the country but places like Customriders in Boldock, Hertfordshire is a great place to start.  plenty of stock to look at and they'll give you great advice.

You should be able to find something really good for about £300 - £400

:daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:20 PM »
Shrewsbury,Wrexham & Chester area

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Look for something with sealed bearings front and rear, integrated headset and a mid BB. That'll give you a shortlist, from there he can pick his favourite and further down the line you can upgrade just the frame/fork and everything else will swap over no worries. 

That'll give you the best start and the most reliable bike.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 10:41 PM »
You are heavily out of touch , watch some new bmx vids on yt !

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Went to winstanleys over the weekend and hopefully sorted with what he wants  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern bmx dilemma for my son

gfxgfx
gfx gfx