gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 08:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ashford Chroming
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ashford Chroming  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Graham Middleton

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Ashford Chroming
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Hi, dunno if this is the right place for this, but I want to warn people not to use Ashford Chroming.

I sent a set of 83 Haro Freestyler forks to be done. The owner said no problem doing them and at no point was I warned not to have unrealistic expectations.

I got them back after being relieved of well over £100 (can't remember exactly) and they had blemishes and runs all over them. Plus somebody in the workshop drilled 2 unnecessary drain holes on the back of them just beside the welds.

I returned them to be redone, each time costing about £11 post. I drew on them in red marker where the problems were. I even drew arrows pointing to the factory drain holes up in the steerer tube and asked them to fill in the holes they drilled before rechroming.

So I got them back again, the plating only marginally better and their holes still there. You might understand by now that I was pretty annoyed. I contacted the owner who told me I had unrealistic expectations and she did not apologise for the holes put in them.

I lost my patience with her and told her that all she cared about was getting my money for at no time in the whole process was I warned about them not being able to do the job. I then told her that she must need my money more than I do, so just keep it.

Now when I went to assemble the bike I have discovered that they have butchered the threads which were perfect before. The end result is that the headset will not stay tight.

So you have been warned. DO NOT USE ASHFORD CHROMING OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Graham

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Ashford Chroming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 04:21 PM »
A nightmare. I don't trust anyone anymore when it comes to chroming,painting/powder coating or welding.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:28 PM by hotdog »

Offline Graham Middleton

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Thanks mate. I just ordered a set of repop ones until I can work out how to fix my original ones. Apparently welding more meat onto the steerer and then having threads cut isn't the answer.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Sorry to hear of your bad experience.....
It really is better to take items yourself to be chromed, then at least you can explain what you do and don't want doing. I was lucky and found a local firm at first who were very good. After a while they stopped doing hexavalent chrome but very luckily I remembered my old flat mate had a mate who has a chroming firm fairly locally too, the rest is history....
If you need details give me a shout.... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 09:12 PM »
What the fook were they doing with the threads... forks only need chroming just above the crown race. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 09:25 PM »
What the fook were they doing with the threads... forks only need chroming just above the crown race. ???

Was thinking that myself..... :-\

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Nasty. Ashford also routinely dish out inflated quotes. They must get a lot of hits on their website because they have really nailed traffic routing. Their quotes have always been 50% to 100% more than all other quotes I have received from other firms. Luckily I seem to have hit on a good chromer and stick with them.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Graham Middleton

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 12:46 AM »

I dunno. I got the forks with a bent steerer tube, so I had one made and welded in. I am sure the threads were perfect when they got them as I know they were brand new!

Is it possible that's how they held them in the tank? Perhaps they forced a metric nut onto imperial threads. Who knows, when they would drill holes in them without any good reason or permission to do so, they would do anything.

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I was going to drop them a line on some items, They can now Jog on  fistblump

MrD

I contacted Allen chrome as they are high on the list - due to their excellence its currently a 4-5 month turnaround!
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

griff

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Shocking  :shocked:

Sorry to hear this, but thanks for taking the trouble to let the rest of us know  fistblump :radbmxsmilie:

Is there any way you can claim back the money via credit card company?

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 01:41 PM »
If anyone else can't find or having probs with chromers, here is my mates website who does all my work...he knows the score with old bmx stuff....

colonnademetal.com

Offline Graham Middleton

• Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Thanks for the support fellas. I am generally very laid back, but Ashford Chroming has pushed my buttons.

I dunno about the CC company, but the knowledge that at least one person says they will go elsewhere makes up for my hassle.

The owner told me they understood the old school scene and show bikes and all. She said they gold plated a Hutch in the past. Part of my problem is that I am in Northern Ireland and therefore couldn't drop them off and check up on them.

Thanks again and stay rad!

griff

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 04:01 PM »
If you used a cc instead of a debit card then you should have some grounds to claim compensation
At the least for money you’ve paid, I’d be inclined to enquire if they cover you for damaging the fork too

Offline Graham Middleton

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Thanks, I will talk to the bank about it.

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Thanks, I will talk to the bank about it.
Just found this post and thought best to resurrect as a warning to Radsters. I hadn't seen this thread before - I've just had some work completed by Ashford Chroming. An absolutely rotten service - over thick chrome, over polished all of the welds and details on a frameset. Pretty much ruined what I gave them.

I visited their office and workshop - which they don't have! They outsource all the chrome to a god knows where.

Avoid at all costs.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ashford Chroming

gfxgfx
gfx gfx