gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975531 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 08:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Akibo Pro / Mystery Tange Frame?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Akibo Pro / Mystery Tange Frame?  (Read 16102 times)

Offline monkian

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Re: Akibo Pro / Mystery Tange Frame?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2022, 04:37 PM »
Ok, here's the finished build (if attachments work) with added Nitto Pro Bars (unstamped Laserbars) & Suntour padset.
Spotted a powdered frameset on ebay recently so I guess at least 3 survived!!  ;D

Love this bike so much. Total buzz finding it  8)
the frameset (with good decals) is available if any Tange nuts interested (PM/DM).
WANTED: Japanese OS / Anything Tange / Tioga / Parts!!

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 08:53 PM »
Good stuff Paul. I bid on those pads too, look like they cleaned up well  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline monkian

• Rated:
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 09:32 PM »
Good stuff Paul. I bid on those pads too, look like they cleaned up well  fistblump

Ah, sorry about that!! >:D
Gave them a soak and replaced the poppers on the stem pad but I think they look the part.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 10:48 PM »

Ah, sorry about that!! >:D
Gave them a soak and replaced the poppers on the stem pad but I think they look the part.

No problem Paul, I think you got them at a great price, result. They definitely look the biz mate  :daumenhoch:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2022, 12:51 PM »
Love
This
Bike
:smitten:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline SimonUK

• Rated:
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2022, 06:59 PM »
Recently picked this up, then stumbled across this thread.....

Offline monkian

• Rated:
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 11:31 AM »
Ah nice grab. I was watching this on eBay as well!!
As it's not an original finish you could maybe rebadge it as an Akibo Pro 8)
What's the plan?

I've got some nice reference photos for Akibo decals if you need some custom made.
Just DM me  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:35 AM by monkian »

Offline SimonUK

• Rated:
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Not absolutely sure as yet, but think I'm going to keep the metallic white finish. I like the idea of it being an ''oddball'' that people have never really heard of, so think I will keep it pretty much as it is. It would be great to get some definitive answers from people about the origins (I appreciate the homework you have already done by the way). I have got the Tange decal that is shown in one of your pictures (the little square black, red and gold one) so that's ready to go on. I have a few other bits for the build, but as everything is so expensive now, it makes it very difficult to justify the expenditure.

Offline freshxx

• Rated:
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2023, 12:22 PM »
I want to share some additional pix and info about Akibo.

Looking for the manufacturer of my handlebars "CW style ladder bars with fluted tubing chromoly" (stripped paint pix attached) - i found a similar set last weekend. It was mounted to an Akibo Pro Oldschool BMX. I spoke to the owner and he told me he received the bars back in the days together with the Akibo Pro as a complete. He was 100% confident that they are Akibo bars. These bars (white) used exactly the same tubing and has the same dimensions like mine.

I'm now confident that my bars are also made by Akibo back in the days. Pretty sure they were sold as an aftersales item for Freestyle use.

Please decide yourself. I still own these bars but i powdered them white in the meantime.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2023, 05:54 PM »
Only fluted bars of any description I've heard of or remember were made by Tuf Neck I believe? or did I here someone say VDC made some? if thats any help  :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2023, 05:57 PM »
Also I've been told/remember someone here had a set in the CW style like yours called 'SBS GROOBAR' so I think they are more likely to be these  :daumenhoch:

Offline monkian

• Rated:
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2023, 03:49 PM »
I want to share some additional pix and info about Akibo.

Looking for the manufacturer of my handlebars "CW style ladder bars with fluted tubing chromoly" (stripped paint pix attached) - i found a similar set last weekend. It was mounted to an Akibo Pro Oldschool BMX. I spoke to the owner and he told me he received the bars back in the days together with the Akibo Pro as a complete. He was 100% confident that they are Akibo bars. These bars (white) used exactly the same tubing and has the same dimensions like mine.

I'm now confident that my bars are also made by Akibo back in the days. Pretty sure they were sold as an aftersales item for Freestyle use.

Please decide yourself. I still own these bars but i powdered them white in the meantime.

I suspect these would have been Japanese made so most likely by Strong.
They would have sat nicely with the Strong Fluted Seat Post & Clamp that were stock on the Akibo Pro  8)

There's some for sale here: https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/289264
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 03:52 PM by monkian »

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Also I've been told/remember someone here had a set in the CW style like yours called 'SBS GROOBAR' so I think they are more likely to be these  :daumenhoch:

As I said Groo bars  :daumenhoch: made by strongs  ;)

Offline freshxx

• Rated:
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2024, 03:31 PM »

Akibo original decal, but yes SBS GROOBAR made by strongs also possible

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Akibo Pro / Mystery Tange Frame?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx