gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 03:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour Sealed Hubs - Remove Bearings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Suntour Sealed Hubs - Remove Bearings  (Read 3130 times)

monkian

Suntour Sealed Hubs - Remove Bearings
« on: October 05, 2019, 07:41 PM »
I originally got this tip from an old thread by kuwahero Marc (I think) but I had to make a few changes so took some pics ;)

Unlike sealed Suzue Hubs that have a lip on the axles behind the bearings so you can just tap them out, the Suntour bearings can be a bit trickier to remove (especially with both stuck in place). Once the axle has been taken out you’re left with the bearings still inside the hub but there’s no real lip to tap them out from the other side.

I decided to use an M6 Anchor Bolt (M8 could also work but make sure the sleeve can pass through a 12mm hole). Tighten it up on the bearing you want out, making sure you’re not catching the inside of the hub (the bearing should still spin freely with the bolt in place). My M6 Anchor had a eye-bolt but I replaced it with a longer, regular type bolt to help get more purchase on the bearing and still have enough length through the other end of the sleeve.

It’s then just a case of flipping the wheel over and dropping in a wider bolt to tap the whole thing out. I guess you could also use a wide piece of dowl if you wanted to protect the end of the anchor bolt. Job done :)

Turns out this bearing had black rubber seal on the outside and a blue seal on the inside for some reason. It’s a genuine pair of Hubs as well and the front had a tan set of seals (all Suntour stamped, made by NSK).

If you want to replace the bearings you’ll need type: 6001 2RS 12x28x8mm

Hope that helps ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:25 AM by monkian »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
Re: Suntour Sealed Hubs - Remove Bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Great idea mate..
And taking the time and effort too put up this great tip . fistblump
(Even after 40 views not one bothering too respond  :knuppel2:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

monkian

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 06:29 PM »
No worries Ady, thx for responding.
All good if it ends up helping someone out ;)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Top bodgery, got to love a bit of Heath Robinson engineering  :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Nice work Paul... I always cop for hubs with issues so this'll come in handy.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour Sealed Hubs - Remove Bearings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx