gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1980 Tange Hot Heart build.  (Read 6308 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: 1980 Tange Hot Heart build.
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Shaping up nicely  :coolsmiley:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

monkian

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 10:51 PM »
Looking good Peter. Bars look like they could be Hsin Lung. Joffy did a nice comparison thread on here a few years ago against some Laserbars that might be worth a look. I couldn’t find it on Tapatalk but I kept these pics from it:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Struggling to find the thread but I will persevere.
The bars really are dead ringers for Laserbars except they have no knurling at all and the crossbar is 5/8" rather than 3/4".
Thanks for the tip.

This thread seems to confirm a Nova origin:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,161045.msg1607034.html#msg1607034
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:02 PM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

monkian

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Ah no worries, thought they were knurled from your pic but must just be fitting marks.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 12:09 AM »
Am loving this thread! All my builds take time, but I put nowhere near the amount of work into them that you do. That's borne out by the results - top work so far, mate. Looking forward to seeing the wheelset! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 05:42 PM »
More progress has been made, although it is painfully slow.
I bought these wheels off ebay, Ukai box rims on high flange Sansin hubs. Very scruffy but had potential.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The idea was to strip them down, redress the shiney sides and relace to a set of lovely DX hubs I have.

The rims took a bit of work but they responded well. I take sanding with wet and dry to another level! I used to follow a clock maker on You Tube called Clickspring, in particular his recreation of the Antikythera Mechanism. He takes sanding, polishing and metal finishing to an art form. I never grumble about sanding after see his work! I recommend giving his Antikythera series a watch, it is incredibly relaxing.

The hubs that were removed were in amazing cosmetic condition and a good find.

The spokes are Asahi, too long for this application so I had to cut them to size and rethread. Calculating spoke lengths is easy in theory but in practice it never seems to to work out perfectly for me, very frustrating. It did not go too badly this time but is not a job I like. Having to cut my own spokes did allow me to try out my new thread machine which ia dream to use, it is so efficient and perfect! It gets a bit old after 50 or so spokes but none-the-less.

The shiney sides turned out lovely so time to build the wheels. I decided on 4x as I have not tried building it yet, it looks very conjested at the hub and I still don't like it. That said I have bikes here with 4x so I should bother too much. The wheels turned out lovely and I am itching to get them on the bike. I was aiming to get the bike finished in time for the South Coast BMX event, which I will, but I guess that event is under threat given the current situation. I was even planning on showing it, my bikes have always done very poorly in BOTM but you never know!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:43 PM by Avro »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 07:47 PM »
Great build thread, and top skills at hand  :4_17_5:

Loving the work, and bike's shaping up nicely  :popcorn:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2020, 03:20 AM »
Nice resto job on the wheels  :coolsmiley:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 03:37 AM »
Great work mate! & definitely get this entered into BOTM as and when done! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 03:03 PM »
...A few changes and finially done. I was always aiming to get the bike done for South Coast Old School Weekend, which I did, but the event is cancelled so I could have taken even longer over it!

I made a few changes, I had to make the correction to the decals and had Delcals add the script 'COMPETITION RACING  FRAME & FORK'; it had to be done. I also got them reduced in size which has also worked a treat.

A chap on here very kindly tracked down a black LP440 lock nut for me, I messed around with Tioga and Akibo units but I always wanted it to be Tange:

So here is the finished bike, this is my favourite by some way. Lots of things came together, restoration work, parts finds and a good deal of patience and good fortune.

More here if interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqFWt9Co_LIXNlqJXr0Fx9g

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Beautiful work as always Avvers.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Wow, love it Peter. That's a serious parts selection too, very nice  :4_17_5:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2020, 05:28 PM »
 "wantit" How did I miss this build thread ! That is one stunning machine born from the result of some great work Peter.  :bow:
 What a cracker  :smitten:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2020, 06:49 PM »
Stunning mate, awesome 👍

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 04:01 AM »

Really enjoyed this thread as it progressed and it's great to see her finally finished - great build mate, a credit to you  :coolsmiley:

:daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Great thread  :daumenhoch: and a fantastic looking bike at the end of it  "wantit" some very expensive and lovely parts on it fella
that's a cracker!  :4_17_5:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Keep coming back to have a look at this one, she is sexy, and great attention to detail on all that resto work  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1980 Tange Hot Heart build.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx