gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 06:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1979 DeCoster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1979 DeCoster  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
1979 DeCoster
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Hi guys
I’m asking this question on behalf of my cousin who is building a 1979 DeCoster. He’s got a 22.2 seat post but it won’t go in further than an inch or so. The post is straight, he says there’s no obstructions in the tube or welding repair. Is a 22.2 the right size post for this bike ?? Or does it take one of those 13/16 posts?? Let me know so I can pass on your wisdom.
Thanks guys.  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: 1979 DeCoster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 09:34 AM »
I can't comment specifically on the DeCoaster frame, Sean (Sidds) would know for sure. However I've built literally dozens of mk1 and mk2 Hesse and never had to use a 13/16" post. What generally happens is the area around the seat tube clamp and top triangular plate weld takes a beating over the frame's lifetime and it needs a bit of filing to open it back out. Don't be tempted to force it, the mk1 had a tendancy to crack in this area if it was forced.

Get the frame somewhere warm for a day like next to a radiator, don't mess with it in the cold. Get a half round file and run it gently down the seat post tube at see if there are any burrs where the welds are at the top tube and triangle and file them gently. Then run some energy cloth and finally grease down it and check the seat post as well. If that doesn't work then get a micrometer and check the setpost o/d (outside diameter) as I have had a few that were too big due to being rechromed or poor manufacturing tolerance control. If so, but a slightly smaller one

Hope that helps :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Re: 1979 DeCoster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Cheers Spen I’ll pass on your advice which is wise and sensible. He says he’s got a micrometer so I’ll suggest measuring first and see where that leaves him.
Thanks again  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1979 DeCoster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx