gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 09:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dry Tyre Walls
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dry Tyre Walls  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Dry Tyre Walls
« on: November 29, 2019, 11:22 PM »
I read part of a thread on here a while ago about using Vaseline to rehydrate and soften skinwall tyres. My question is, has anybody tried doing the same to gumwall tyres by using silicone spray?? It’s supposed to restore pliability, rehydrate and prevent the rubber drying out again. Apparently you generously spray the rubber you wish to treat and seal in a bag for a few days. I’ve got a pair of faded 80’s golden boy tyres (I don’t want the colour back, done then pink stuff trick on another pair) I want to use on a fairly honest survivor bike I’ve bought with new looking tyres. There are no cracks yet but the walls feel hard/slightly crusty to the touch. The tread area and inner tyre seem ok though. So has anybody done this with good or bad results ??? Let me know please guys. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:26 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Re: Dry Tyre Walls
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Quick update...
Not a total waste of time. The tyres seem a tad more pliable on the walls, they now have a slight glossy finish (no dry crust) and they popped on the rim nice and easy lol. It wasn’t the miracle cure I was hoping for but the tyres look better than before they were scrubbed and silicone sprayed. They were going to be binned but now they are being used on a bike and holding pressure with no issues yet. I hope it stays that way when they are rode a little.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Dry Tyre Walls

gfxgfx
gfx gfx