gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
968339 Posts in 137683 Topics by 5859 Members - Latest Member: DEC2020 January 27, 2020, 10:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2020 Race Blog - Keeping it Real (if not Rad) in Japan!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2020 Race Blog - Keeping it Real (if not Rad) in Japan!  (Read 175 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
2020 Race Blog - Keeping it Real (if not Rad) in Japan!
« on: January 04, 2020, 09:51 AM »
Happy New Year Radsters! Itís January which means that itís the start of my 4th, yes my fourth season of racing in Japan. Canít quite believe Iíve done (and more or less survived) 3 years already - doesnít time fly!! Certainly faster and higher than I ride, at any rate! ;D

Iíve started things off early this year with a practice session yesterday at my old hunting ground of Gorilla Park in Kawaguchi. I was down in Tokyo for the New Year, so chucked the Crupi in the back of the Forester and headed the 26km up the expressway from where I was staying - much closer than my normal track commute! It was over a year (14 months to be precise) since my last visit there, so I enjoyed getting to grips with the track again. I also met up with an Aussie friend - another old school BMXer whoís getting back into the scene after a 30-plus year gap and was rocking his Ď83 Redline Carrera. A few pics from the session are posted below. :daumenhoch:

The first round of the Oizumi winter series in Osaka is on 19th January, so hopefully the weather plays ball and I can get an early race under my belt. Before then Iím going to give the bike a pre-season clean up and possible brake swap. I'm also going to play around with seats. Pics to follow in due course.

So thatís it for this first post of the year. As previously, I will try to update the thread with developments, pics and race reports as the season unfolds, and please feel free to add your comments, advice and suggestions! :radbmxsmilie:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old guy on the Crupi!! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 2020 Race Blog - Keeping it Real (if not Rad) in Japan!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:29 AM »
Iíve just received my new race number for the 2020 JOSF series. As shown in the screenshot below, Iíll now be sporting a 66 on my Midoriyama plate. The question is, which plate, as I now have a handful to choose from!! :D Iíll worry about that later, as I probably won't make it back to Midoriyama until March. Plus I can continue to use my number 15 plate in the KBU Winter Series, the first round of which is down at Oizumi this Sunday. At the moment, the Osaka weather forecast is looking ok, which is more than can be said for my neck of the woods, which is in the middle of a proper spell of winter weather. I therefore havenít been out on the Crupi as much as I would have liked, but such is life. Regardless of the weather, on Saturday I plan to give the bike a good going over and brake overhaul in readiness for Sunday. Watch this space! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:50 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811

Offline Drawn

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:50 AM »
Have you ever been told "don't run a number you can read upside down"   :whistle:
That's interesting that you get given a new number each year though.
One thing I like from here, unless you want to run a national or state rank (top 8) you get to run the one number

Wonder what other new things you have in store for the year

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 11:23 PM »
I've never heard that before! Is that an Aussie thing, being down under and all that?? In any case, I don't do anything rad enough to end up being a 99! ;D

I also don't mind the numbers changing as it gives me a chance to mix up my plates. Photographic evidence below! :daumenhoch:

New things for the year? A win would be nice. Hell, I'd even take a 2nd! :2funny: No big plans for the bike, unless I break anything! I'd also like to take in another track at some point, but they're all so bloody far away, so I'm thinking about a summer holiday trip to somewhere that just so happens to have a track nearby. ::)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:46 PM by Mikku »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 12:40 PM »
We had a break from the rain today, so I managed to squeeze in a quick spin around the rice fields after work. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 11:56 AM »
So Iíve had my first race of the season and it was a fun one. Oizumi always has a good turnout in the over 30s mixed class and Sunday was no exception, with riders spread over 3 heats and the top finishers going into 2 semis to qualify for the main. Although I didnít make it out of the motos, I had a bloody good go. In the first moto I got out of the gate in 3rd but was soon demoted to 4th, which I held into the first berm. The other guy drew level with me on the outside of the second straight but I held my line (and my nerve) in the second berm and cut across his bows to keep the position. However, he tried again down the 3rd straight and this time made the pass stick, taking 4th and holding it to the line, with me just behind. Tbh, I wasnít too gutted as I couldnít have done much more than I did plus he usually beats me anyway! In the 2nd moto I was 5th away but managed to draw almost level down the 2nd straight, almost close enough to try the same blocking move down the inside of the second berm but not quite, or at least not without taking the other guy out, so I had to settle for 5th. The final moto once again saw me hot on the heels of 3rd and 4th and I was right behind them until the 3rd straight when I started to run out of steam. So despite finishing 5th in all three motos, I was close enough to get a sniff of 4th, so was happy enough with that. As an added bonus, I also picked up a 3,000Yen (£20) voucher for being one of the riders to compete in every round of the 2019 series. Just reward for all the mileage I racked up driving up and down the expressways to Osaka but still much appreciated! The question now is what to spend it on?? :D

The next race is probably going to be in March, either the 2nd round of the Winter Series or the JOSF Kanto Open at Midoriyama. If time, body and money allows, hopefully I can make both of them! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:20 AM by Mikku »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  2020 Race Blog - Keeping it Real (if not Rad) in Japan!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx