gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 01:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New ride advice please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New ride advice please  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Keepad

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
New ride advice please
« on: March 03, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Hi all,

So I have started my search for a new ride this year, I was looking at an re issue TA/Quad due to the larger top tube, However I found an  84 Mongoose Cali  would any one have any advice on what to look out for ie frame stamp and correct forks etc.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: New ride advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Think they only made these in chrome upto 86 then colours after.

Those forks look correct to me. The parts are not original but looks a fine ride.

Frame number should be on bottom bracket or on the matchbox ( where stand could have gone ). I gues this may have been painted over.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:00 AM by BMX1973 »

Offline Keepad

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 06:36 PM »
Thanks, you are correct  it has been powered coated and the parts are not original to the bike but are all original 80’s parts apart from the re pop stem, I was not sure at first if it has the correct forks and not 100% sure if it was a true Cali or an Expert.

I think it will serve  the purpose of an summer rider and still be an old school mongoose.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 06:58 PM »
I am not a mongoose type person but I would be happy to ride around on that for the summer  fistblump fistblump

Offline Keepad

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 07:07 PM »
I have found out on the BMX  Museum that the Cali had the top of the rear stay sit slightly above twhere the rear of the top tube meets the seat post and on an Expert the top of the rear stay and rear of the top tube are level at the seat post, any truth in that ?

Also I need to ask the owner the length of the top tube - I’m 6.2 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 09:08 PM »
It's a nice bike that, but at 6'2" you might struggle as the Call is an expert size frame so typically 17.5" to 18.5" from memory :daumenhoch:

Those forks look correct to me btw, here's a NOS '86 Cali f&f I got from the states 12 years ago   :smitten:  :coolsmiley:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 09:15 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Keepad

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I wish I could afford to get both  the Cali and an re issue  with an longer TT to  actually ride for the season with out braking  back and the bank,

Might have an rethink and get  an reissue to ride and challenge myself to build my own old school ride over time.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New ride advice please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx