gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975464 Posts in 138918 Topics by 6342 Members - Latest Member: Bikemong March 19, 2024, 04:56 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: She's finally arrived - Changa Build  (Read 36856 times)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: She's finally arrived - Changa Build
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 10:34 PM »
It looks f'kin ace Pete, I love the original chrome and decals.

It looks like a great build, can't wait to see what you have planned for it.

Hope the back is doing ok mate.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Mate, you do far more bike-building with a bad back than I do without! Top work! Love how the clamp turned out. :daumenhoch:

Fwiw, I agree with everyone else about going ahead with the frame and decals as is. Not just because I love survivor builds BUT if you ask me, both the frame and decals are in amazing condition for their age and don't need anything more than you've already done. Save your wonga and build that Changa! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 02:46 PM »
So guys, sorry that the updates are dragging a bit, waiting on blooming snail mail deliveries recently.

Anyway, time for a little progress.

I'd been staring at it for days, and with the OCD one little thing that was bothering me was the fact that the Levin headset came with a black upper inner race, and I'm not sure if you'll see it from this photo but it was showing through on the 'built' finish, which was bugging me:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Then, luckily a NOS silver one showed up on eBay for a song so I stripped the front end back down and swapped out the original:
and whilst I was at it took the opportunity to fit the NOS dirt skirt I'd forgot to install originally:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:51 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52 PM »
and then just applied a good coating of grease and finally reassembled
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2020, 02:54 PM »
Which then finally allowed me to move on to some new parts.

First up the stem, a gen1 1983 ESP that I sourced from the museum a few years ago:
Which I stripped and lightly polished
before endeavouring to clean up the original hardware
and then oven dried and finely oiled
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:57 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2020, 02:59 PM »
before re-assembling and fitting a nos ACS potts mod that also had a little polish. Washer wise I dug out an alloy 'frame saver' washer from the parts box that works a treat:
then finally fitted to the build:

Ok, that's it for today guys. Thanks for checking in and the kind words to date. We'll move on to the brakes next. Keep safe.
 :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:09 PM by Picklez »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2020, 10:21 PM »
Good work! Frame's now looking very bling - have you been polishing that too?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Good work! Frame's now looking very bling - have you been polishing that too?

Ha Ha, only most days with the old silver polish clothe. In reality I think it's just the pictures, close up and in person the OG chrome of the f&f still looks pretty aged and poor  :'(, but she's coming along nicely with all the shiny bits going on.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2020, 01:20 AM »
Coming along nicely mate  :)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Awesome , enjoyed reading that and looking forward to following. My minds already blown.
I think there’s only two bikes wouldn’t mind now, one of these and an early redline prostyler .

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Time for a little update. Had been waiting for the current image posting issue to be resolved, but failing that I've moved over to imgbb for the meantime (will try to swap out the relevant images at a later date).

So, the brakes, well there's only one choice for me for this build, good old Dia Compe MX1000's. Most of these early parts on this build are actually coming from an earlier, abandoned project, which had a similar vision - chrome/silver and black, with minimal black. So I already had these in stock. But, when it comes to MX1000's particularly mint ones I struggle to accept paying the associated eBay etc. prices - typically many of us know, you'd be looking to be raped for somewhere north of 200-250 for a great pair. Now, I'm not alien to spending too much money on my hobby, god knows I've paid small fortunes for some parts over the years. But, I do find some prices, particularly for more run-of-the-mill, or more widely available parts just outrageous. So, the hunt was on, find some nice salvageable examples for a much more palatable price.

Then, over the course of about 3 months, I was lucky enough to (on separate occasions) pick up two nos '85 purple and white examples. All in for much less than £100 delivered.

IMG-4099" border="0
IMG-4103" border="0

Not wanting to needlessly ruin some lovely nos callipers I did offer them up for trade first. But, after weeks of no takers I bit the bullet and stripped them down ready for a bath in paint stripper:

IMG-7450" border="0

Hunt down the right stuff and it can still work like it did BITD (fast & efficient, and burns like hell when you get it on your skin  :shocked:)

IMG-7911" border="0

So, then I had two nice base metal examples

IMG-4141" border="0
IMG-4985" border="0

and all that was subsequently needed was to head to the polishing wheel, and hey presto

IMG-3883" border="0

Then, it was just a case of reassembly. But, as the front is destined to run a potts mod setup, and as I was lucky enough to find a nos Weimann potts adjuster the front was built back up with that adjuster rather than the original

IMG-1156" border="0
IMG-9811" border="0

which also got a little treatment to the polishing wheel

IMG-4528-copy" border="0

and then, finally assembled

IMG-6395" border="0

And mounted up:

IMG-5919" border="0

IMG-4883" border="0

IMG-5893" border="0

That's it for the moment, thanks as always, and I'll be talking 'bars in the next update.

TTFN  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:53 PM by Picklez »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 06:25 PM »

Nice update. Good job on the calipers. Looking very nice mate  :daumenhoch:

That's the same bike building stand I use - doubt the missus would be happy with it in the bedroom though  :shocked: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Thanks, yes, those bike stands are good value for money. As for building in the bedroom, I didn't think I'd get away with it either but my wifey even went and got it out of the shed for me to get started - I've been 'floored' for longer than the lockdown with a slipped disc. I was due to go in for corrective surgery the week the whole health service stopped all non-covid biased work, so I'm stuck here waiting for normality to resume and to get this sorted. It's taken over a month of experimenting with various meds and dosage levels, but over the last week or so I've finally found a balance that's got me up and about for a good few hours a day, so the build continues...

Stay safe all.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Thanks, yes, those bike stands are good value for money. As for building in the bedroom, I didn't think I'd get away with it either but my wifey even went and got it out of the shed for me to get started - I've been 'floored' for longer than the lockdown with a slipped disc. I was due to go in for corrective surgery the week the whole health service stopped all non-covid biased work, so I'm stuck here waiting for normality to resume and to get this sorted. It's taken over a month of experimenting with various meds and dosage levels, but over the last week or so I've finally found a balance that's got me up and about for a good few hours a day, so the build continues...

Stay safe all.

Bloody hell mate that's been a rough time for you. Glad you are up and about with a nice build to focus on  :daumenhoch:

Healing vibes  :radbmxsmilie:

Keep them updates coming  :popcorn:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 10:05 PM »
What stripper did you use fella? I've not found anything to touch those powder coated parts please do tell  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 10:13 PM »
What stripper did you use fella? I've not found anything to touch those powder coated parts please do tell  :daumenhoch:
s-l1600" border="0

Was going to post the eBay link but it reports as not currently available. You can feel it trying to burn your skin through gloves. It's fun

I'll let you know if I see it listed again.

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 10:29 PM »
cheers fella  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 10:39 PM »
Was thinking, not sure if it will do powdered parts, I've only used it for painted parts so far. I seem to recall some somewhere saying Synistrip might work on powder, though that may just be shat memory with age  :-\. However, if you're interested but don't want to risk spending on the stuff I used you could always ship me a part and I could try for you. Then if it works you know what to source. Up to you buddy, I'm easy.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Great update! Glad you've sorted out your meds too! :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 09:43 PM »
So, probably time for a little more of an update, and as seems to be the theme with me and this build there's a little bit of a back story with this next instalment....

Having completed the callipers the next logical step in my mind is to run the cables, thus install the bars and levers. Having a little bit of a freestyle inspiration I'd love to try out some VDC freestyle bars on this build, but alas, none around, and at the moment I'm certain that if there were that I'd have to remortgage, sell the wife for a night to Robert Redford, or offer favours of a special kind to land a set. So, almost as good, and bloody nice none the less I'm settling on a set of second generation VDC Woody's, for now  ;).

As with most of my parts I picked these up a good few years ago from eBay, one of those opportunist wins. They were listed relatively benignly, with a title along the lines of "Old School BMX Bars", but even from the thumb nail it was relatively obvious what they were. Well I tracked the auction and sniped at the end for a price I was happy with. And here's how they looked when they arrived:

IMG-1660" border="0
IMG-1661" border="0

Then, later on, whilst doing a little reading, to help a Museum member out identifying his bars, I came across an old Rad thread where the member was also (much earlier) trying to identify the bars he had and that I'd now bought - check out the 12th post

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23133.msg267383.html#msg267383

Anyway, back to the build. So, being a chrome based build obviously these would need a strip and some chroming magic. So, stripping was easy, and underneath were revealed a very nice straight set of bars:

IMG-1668" border="0

IMG-1674a" border="0

IMG-1678" border="0

But here's where one of the challenges with progressing this build has arisen, trying to locate/source a reliable Chromers who's open for business at present  :-\. But after many attempts, phone calls, emails, and pm's I've finally managed to find someone, who's work has very recently been much admired and respected by most of us here, and who's kindly agreed to take on the task for me .... along with the cranks, pedal spindles, coaster arm, and a few other smalls for this and another build - I'm super stoked.

But, it means I can't currently continue the build in the order I would have naturally wanted (but that's no biggy), the bars and other bits went off to the man in question last week, and will most probably not be back with me for around 4-6 weeks, he's very busy.

So, wanting to continue, and before I stuck a postage stamp on them I mock fitted them, so that I could at least run the front cable etc.

Cable wise, I landed a pair of nos rear '84 clear Dia-Compes (the good lady thought it funny that the date stamp is 14th Feb 84, but I humour her as she's been amazingly tolerant with me at the mo)

IMG-1361" border="0
IMG-0407" border="0

Lever wise, I've a set of mint ACS locking Tech 3's that imo are perfect for this build

IMG-7905" border="0

and, so here she is with those bars and lever temporarily mocked up and the cable threaded down through the potts mod

IMG-7583" border="0

IMG-7255" border="0

IMG-6190" border="0

Then down to the bottom end. Remember that nos weimann potts mod calliper adjuster, well it was the complete set up, including the cable ferrule etc. So, once the cable outer was trimmed to length that was fitted

IMG-8351" border="0

And then, using a set of mint 28.6mm og Dia-Compe cable clips the cable was routed to final install

IMG-1041" border="0

IMG-4368" border="0
IMG-8438" border="0

and here's how she looked before I removed and packaged the  bars off for chroming, can't wait for those to return, but keeping patient  :daumenhoch:

IMG-8130" border="0

Cable's now also been trimmed down and end nipple is on its way.

So, that's all for today, bit of a shame that the bars etc. weren't a permeant install part of the build at this time but I don't care, I'm just chuffed to bits to have found someone who's going to do a stunning job on them.

does mean though that progress will have to be managed going forward, to allow sufficient time for these to be given the treatment they  deserve.  :smitten:

So, next week, but (imo) equally exciting, I'll be introducing the wheels for the build....

Keep safe, stay happy (& calm), and as always thanks for reading.

Peace & Love, keep it  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:49 PM by Picklez »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2020, 05:08 AM »

Great update.... much awesomeness  :coolsmiley:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Not a fan of old bikes, but if I had to pick one it would probably be that.

I can tell it's a labour of love, you can't ask for more than that :)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Looking good.

Regarding starchems syntrip, I can confirm that it removes powder coating as I've used it on a powdered F & F

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2020, 09:20 PM »
Not my 'weekly update', but had to share this. Just had a 'teaser' from the chroming wizard, not sure of the emoji for blown-away, but I was:

Not coming my way anytime soon as he's doing a fair few other bits for me as well, but super stoked none-the-less  :smitten:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2020, 09:46 PM »
Sexy as fook them mate  :shocked: :smitten: explosion

So is that the same chromer Glynn used for his DP ?

Top drawer that - looks nice and "thin" full detail on the welds coming through - no "drippy" look to it..... very nice  :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx