gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 01:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: She's finally arrived - Changa Build  (Read 37999 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Re: She's finally arrived - Changa Build
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Good luck on the bars, hope you have better luck than I did on the Cobras.
Have a speedy recovery mate  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2020, 11:46 PM »
Get well soon Pete !

Build is coming together very nicely indeed mate  :coolsmiley:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2020, 01:43 PM »
So, it feels like it's been an absolute age since I've provided a proper ?build? update. Partly due to distractions ? weather, family, life, etc., partly due to waiting for parts to come back from the chromers, and partly for health reasons ? as many know, I've been suffering a herniated disc, which thankfully was finally operated on last Saturday.

So, whilst I'm not meant to be doing anything but recover at present, I finally felt good enough to spend a day on the bikes et al yesterday.

First job (and only really mentioning as I wanted to share the following pic) was to get the bike out of the bedroom. My wife's been a superstar this year, not only tolerating a build in the bedroom, but also with helping out on the build when I was struggling with some of the immobility etc. Anyway, job one, clean my office so that I could move the build down there?

import1" border="0

Then relocate the changa down to a suitably prepared space

import2" border="0

Then, with parts back from the chromers I could once again think of moving this build along. So, as a starter, the drivetrain?

import3" border="0

Jonathan, aka ?ButtsBikeShop? handled all my chroming requirements & did a great job  :bow:

First up a set of Profile 177mm Gen 3-A's. I picked these up of US eBay a few years back, on the surface they looked great, but when they landed they had a bit of an issue with the chrome, or more specifically the integrity of some re-chrome earlier in their life. Basically, a couple of areas around the pedal bosses where the chrome was starting to lift.

pic2-1" border="0

So, job number 1, strip

pic3-1" border="0

Then on inspection a couple of minor surface issues were found (small pinholes that would have left the new chrome looking shat)

pic4-1" border="0

pic5-1" border="0

So, before any chroming work could commence first they received a layer of copper plating and subsequent prepping to get us back to a suitable smooth surface to apply the chrome

pic1-2" border="0

pic2-2" border="0

pic3-2" border="0

And then the finished article  :smitten:

import4" border="0

import5" border="0

import1-1" border="0

And as for replacement decals. Well the only real option is reproduction, but it took a little work. Most who re-sticker gen 3's actually use the wrong decals. You can see so many come up for sale that have the earlier box crank decals and they don't look great. Box cranks ones are basically a rounded oblong type shame, whereas proper gen3's are actually a slight teardrop shape. Then there's the colourway. AS we all know these decals are typically blue-red on a chrome foil. I was sort of ok with that, but in reality, really wanting to keep to as much chrome and black as possible. So I hit a compromise and went for the Black-Red on chrome foil. But went for some from an Indonesian eBayer, as the print detail was of a much higher resolution than some you see on eBay from our neck-of-the-woods (admittedly the edging isn't that good on the ones I've ended up with, but the font etc. is lovely and crisp).

import2-1" border="0

Then fitted

import3-1" border="0

Spider wise, when I originally bought the cranks they came with a repo spider. It took a lot of looking, and isn't ideal, but I finally landed a very good condition OG one. Only unfortunate part about it is that the previous owner had decided to chrome it at some point earlier in its life. Doesn't look horrendous, would have just rather the OG finish. Still, fits the build, and if a nice mint OG finish one ever turns up I can decide whether to swap it out then

import3-1a" border="0

Then the spider, one from the good lady here, under the Christmas tree this year was a NOS 44t Silver CAM chain ring, so, on she goes

import3-1i" border="0

Bolting to the spider by way of a set of NOS Sugino bolts

import4-1" border="0

And all mounting to some unknown make nice and clean bottom bracket

import5-1" border="0

So, there's the parts, let fitting commence, with my homebrew headset & bottom bracket fitting tool ? no more need for hammers and wooden blocks

import2-3" border="0

And finished (nice and easy)

import2-4" border="0

Then all fitted up

import2-5" border="0

So, that's it for today. Feels great ?being back in the saddle?, and more will follow soon.

Little one on the pedals next time out.

Stay Rad guys  :radbmxsmilie:.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:10 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Nice update. That set up looks the biz  fistblump glad you're back on the tools  :daumenhoch:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2020, 11:15 PM »

Nice drivetrain Pete  :coolsmiley:

Good to hear that you are up and about and cracking on with the build - always good to get an update on this one..... more please  :popcorn:

:daumenhoch:

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Wow, I haven't been on here for ages, I need to get up to speed again. That is a total beauty.
Gertcha!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2020, 12:36 PM »

Nice drivetrain Pete  :coolsmiley:

Good to hear that you are up and about and cracking on with the build - always good to get an update on this one..... more please  :popcorn:

:daumenhoch:

+1! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2020, 08:14 PM »
So, as promised, this update deals with the pedals. I don't think there's many surprises here, I've gone with my Profile Horseshoes.

I was lucky enough to pick these up from Adam (Akgoff) about 5-6 years ago, just before he decided to sell up all his builds and parts. He?d sourced these from one of his contacts in Aus?, struck the deal up and was having them shipped over. He and I used to chat from time to time, basically selling each other the odd part to help builds along. He?d identified these for his next build, but at the last minute canned his plans for that, and as he knew I was also in the market for some, kindly offered them to me at what they?d cost him. It took be all of a few seconds to pull the trigger, and a few weeks later they landed:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Since then they've basically sat on the shelf, waiting for the right build, I even nearly sold them on a couple of occasions, more on that in a minute.

Anyway, they were in relatively good condition, looking quite mint from a couple of metres away. But, when you inspect them a bit closer you start to note quite a few age related dents and knicks, particularly on the side walls, ends, as well as (to a lesser extent) the main foot plate areas:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:16 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2020, 08:18 PM »
Pic6" border="0

Then, there was also a question regards the authenticity of the spindles. I once listed these pedals for sale on the Museum. Well, that caused all the aficionados to come out of the woodwork, and caused quite a few comments, mainly to do with the fact that the spindles didn't look original. It's widely accepted that Profile originally only sold horseshoes with black oxide spindles, and the ones on mine are chrome. Some thought they were Hutch spindles, others were unsure, but most did not believe them OG. Not perturbed, homework was required. When comparing the shape of mine to Hutch bear trap, Crupi, JP, Primo, and others the shape just did not match any, mine did however more closely represent the shape of the original profile version, just in the wrong finish. So, not knowing what had happened over the years with regards this aspect of the pedals, whether a previous owner had simply chromed the original spindles or whether they?d fitted something aftermarket I had yet to identify, the next step was to pull the spindles. On doing so, and inspecting, a 'most-probable? answer resulted.

It looks like a previous owner (for whatever reason) most probably did actually swap out the original spindles with Hutch spindles. By default, these would not have fitted, so, it appears they subsequently had them machined down to the required cross-section profile, see the following picture, specifically the area of shafts where bearings locate. Quite poorly finished lathe marks are evident. Possibly a previous owner wanted to swap the OG spindles from 1/2inch to 9/16th's, and unable to find the right spindles, so reworked Hutch ones  :-\

Either way, this was enough of an inquisition for my liking, and happy that I?d found a plausible answer, just had to formulate a plan to manage this little issue. Simple, I wasn't going to spend an eternity hunting for OG horseshoe spindles, although I have located a source recently, I simply decided that the best remedial was to strip the chrome off of the current ones and have them black oxide?d. Done:

Now, back to all the dents and knicks in the sides and on the platforms. Well, my OCD wasn't going to be enable me to fit them to the VDC as-was. So, brave pants on and big balls located, I decided to try tackle these imperfections by way of a small resto effort. So, job number one, out with the file:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:35 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2020, 08:23 PM »

Then, after recovering from that nerve-racker it was a downhill journey from there. First the 180 grit:

Then through the grits, 320, 600, 1200, and then finally the 2000grit (& some 20 hours later)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:25 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26 PM »

Happy with that, all that remained was to refit the freshly finished spindles

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:28 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2020, 08:28 PM »
And bolt them up to the build

That's all for now, chain etc. next time out.

Thanks for reading guys. Keep it  :radbmxsmilie:

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2020, 10:28 PM »
Lookin' super-classy!

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Looking good mate  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2020, 04:56 PM »
Nice update Pete.

She's coming together sooooo nicely  :smitten:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Thanks guys  :daumenhoch:

Have a 'bars' dilemma now, as these landed today:

:smitten:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Wow man that's serious OCD on those pedals but damn, worth every last bit of effort.  :slayer:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2020, 08:00 AM »
In the words of the late Roy Castle   ;)  That's Dedication!  :D  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2020, 01:03 AM »

My 2 pennies Pete - I prefer the original bars planned for the build mate  :-\

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2020, 10:53 AM »

My 2 pennies Pete - I prefer the original bars planned for the build mate  :-\

I know, I'm torn as heck. I've wanted a set of VDC freestyles for a good few years now, really wanted them on my Trix, and not seeing many about at that time presumed I'd have to settle for the woody's. So, when this build started the woody's were the obvious choice too, and in reality I'm kind of like you, in that I think they suit this build better. It was just an out-of-the-blue opportunity that presented the freestyle bars, at a price I just couldn't let them pass by, and had to grab them. The trouble is, I do love the freestyle bars as a 'bar' and I've not got another freestyle inspired mid-80's era build in mind at present that would suit them. Next up will be my original DP from BITD, and that's definitely sticking with it's DP ladders. Then I'm wanting to do a 79 Teamgoose. After that I was kind of going to stop on the building front for a while, and just enjoy what I have, and collect a few odd bits along the way. At this rate I'm seeing another, yet to be defined freestyle build  :-\ :idiot2: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Well at the end of the day mate I think you need to try both on when she's finished and let the build talk to you......

Usually I have a build exactly in my head or very near to it..... my recent experience with my Rampar build changed that since how I had it in my head was very different to the parts I chose for her in the end. First time that's happened for me, but sometimes I guess you just have to try the parts on the bike and let the build take the lead a bit perhaps....

Try them both out mate and just see what looks and feels "right" with all the other components in play - either way she's gonna be a stunner mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Well at the end of the day mate I think you need to try both on when she's finished and let the build talk to you......

Usually I have a build exactly in my head or very near to it..... my recent experience with my Rampar build changed that since how I had it in my head was very different to the parts I chose for her in the end. First time that's happened for me, but sometimes I guess you just have to try the parts on the bike and let the build take the lead a bit perhaps....

Try them both out mate and just see what looks and feels "right" with all the other components in play - either way she's gonna be a stunner mate  :daumenhoch:

Sound advise John, and definitely the route I'll take, mind you (and keep it quiet from my good lady) I was doing a bit of a 'recky' for Freeagent Freeflites earlier  :LolLolLolLol:, 'picturing' a build the freestyle bars would go very nicely with  :uglystupid2:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2020, 12:23 AM »
Ahh yes.... the good old "convincing yourself to start yet another build because of 1 specific part you already have" scenario  :2funny:

Been there  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2020, 11:07 PM »
Man, what a labour of love with those pedals!!! :bow:

Any updates Pete?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Man, what a labour of love with those pedals!!! :bow:

Any updates Pete?

Thanks Mick, appreciate it. did take more than 24hrs hard labour, and very grey fingers  :LolLolLolLol:.

I was expecting to have posted all updates by now, having got over the back issues, and having virtually all the parts in hand. But being a little OCD things unexpectedly slowed down after fitting up the front end of the drivetrain. In as much as, I moved attention to the back wheel, to sort the coaster arm, sprocket, etc. I knew I was going to be reshaping the profile of the coaster arm - to replicate the fashion woody ran his Suntour coaster (on his first trickstar) prior to switching over to SST coasters, and as such was concerned the chrome might crack/peel from having to bend it quite aggressively, which it did, but didn't expect I'd get so 'annual' about things. What I mean is, and hopefully I'll be able to share in the next 2-3 weeks, is that when I fitted up the rear cog, along with associated dust shields, lock nuts, etc. I really wasn't happy with the fact that in such a small area there was about 7 different metal finishes, most bare metal polished, but each having quite different colour shades. So, as the coaster arm was going back to the chromers I took the opportunity to strip the Suntour back own and bundle up all the smalls from the rear driver assembly to send off with the coaster arm. They're all done now, and would be on the way back, but about a week ago I sent some other bits in, and typically Jonathan (chroming bod) likes to get everything done and ship back in one go, so I'll probably get it all back in the next 2-3 weeks, and can then return to getting a good update or two posted.

Maybe I'll get it done before year end, but I'm still somewhat hunting for some brake pads, really trying to find four black Skyway pro pads, but not having a lot of luck, unless I want to pay +?200 for two, which I can't bring myself to do. Have these as a backup, and will run with them for the time being if need be:

But, really would prefer to find the Skyways for this build.

And, the final part of the jigsaw, which I'm having no luck with, is such a stupid little part, but really would make all the difference - to me at least:

So, the hunt continues.

More soon, hopefully.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx