gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975496 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:48 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: She's finally arrived - Changa Build  (Read 37883 times)

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: She's finally arrived - Changa Build
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2020, 09:11 PM »
Pedals look the nuts Pete...What re you looking for? original Skyway freestyle pads ion black?  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2020, 10:40 PM »
Pedals look the nuts Pete...What re you looking for? original Skyway freestyle pads ion black?  :daumenhoch:

Hey Damo, thanks buddy. Yeah, either 2 more mint black freestyle pads (got two from Ady  :4_17_5:), or 4 round pro pads, the ones with the fins  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2020, 04:47 PM »
Love the Pedal resto -I'd be doing the same :) It does take an age to get the scratches and dings out but when finished all the hours pay off as in your case :4_17_5:

Shame about those spindles i'm after a set of Hutch 9/16" ;D

Proper Changa build in progress

MrD
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Jingle balls everyone.

Well, not a proper update I'm afraid. Man it's been so long. As I said last time, I sent some parts off for chroming (way back now), thinking they'd be back by now and I'd have completed a few more updates. But, I seem to do this when sending bits off, I send a first package, then a few days later think "darn, should have included X, Y, Z..", so send a second package, then (sometimes) a third. Well, I did it again. Everything bar one part is (and has for a while been) completed. It's just one part that's been causing the guys no end of grief, but their persistence to get it right is second to none, so it'll hopefully be worth the wait in the end.

In the mean time I've been hunting the few illusive parts... Wheel nuts for the rear coaster. Well first an absolute champ on here (the right honourable Chilli'  :bow:) tried to help out by sending sets of Suntour nuts over, only for all to ultimately be 26TPI, so it was back to the drawing board. Then, up on the bay there were some Tuf Necks, which I chatted with the seller about, and got the reply "well I think they're 24TPI". They arrived today:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Guess what, yep blooming 26TPI.

So, now looks like I either continue the hunt or pay (what I feel) is an extortionate amount on these:
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tuf-Neck-Acle-Nut-Bmx-3-8-24-White-Black-Blue-Price-Is-Each-Set/143841990197?hash=item217da69635:g:6yUAAOSwZ05fsAsO
 :-\

Then there's the blooming little clasp part I'm after for one of my ACS tec3's. Well, I went way over the top last night, stayed up until 2:30am to try and win a surrogate lever, bid a very fair price (the limit I set myself upfront, though it was a fair ol whack I was prepared to go in for), but lost out to a highest bidder, whether by a little or large margin I'll never know, just darn annoyed today that this hunt will also continue.

However, one final thing that will keep me busy for a few days at least is brakes. .... ??

Yep, whilst the ol girl's been hanging around in the bike stand I'd been getting too OCD about the MX1000's, the brake hangers just hang too low over the rims for my liking:

So, after many days/weeks of trawling Bay and the Museum I finally landed these earlier last night:

So now, unless anyone really needs some white 900's and wants to trade, they'll be getting some good stripping & polishing action when they arrive.

That's it guys, as I said not a real update, but been wanting to give a little heads up for a while. Hopefully get this finished soon and on to pastures new.

Happy new year guys  :daumenhoch:.

**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Unlucky on the nuts Pete, I think you'll end up taking the plunge with the ones in the link  :whistle:

I was thinking about bidding on the 900's, they look like a lovely set. They would have gone on my Star Way. Shame to strip them but you've got to do what you've got to do. They will look much better against the wheel, amazing what a difference 10mm can make.

Happy new year to you sir  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2020, 02:12 AM »
Unlucky on the nuts Pete, I think you'll end up taking the plunge with the ones in the link  :whistle:

Tried a cheeky $30 offer this evening, rejected shortly after though. Oh well, I'll persist  :daumenhoch:.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2020, 12:01 AM »
Thanks for the update! Am looking forward to seeing this completed in 2021! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Love this build.....on the more recent updates.....

That calliper 'over hang' would have annoyed me too, good sort! I was muttering 900s to myself as I looked at the picture...

bobafett had some damn good advice on the bars, but I think the VDC freestylers are the way to go....nice you have the option!

I hear what you are saying about the axle nuts but compared to your bill from the chromers is going to be peanuts!

Pads, I think the kool stops are fine. More period correct than pro's with fins but knowing how you like your chrome so much I guess the fins would be off to the chrome shop which would look pretty awesome....

Good work  explosion

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Wow .. great thread  :daumenhoch:

That Profile spider you got there is the one they made for opc's  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Hell yea Pete, that's serious attention to detail not everyone would appreciate but fully respect the decision on the 900's. Is the clasp on the ACS lever much different to a DC tech 3? i have a pair myself but don't have the DC to compare it to!!....Seriously rare bit of kit!!! i paid ?40 for my first pair....never, ever find a bargain like that again!!probably my best score ever!!   :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2021, 09:06 PM »
Guys,

Thank you for the input, it's really appreciated.

Supergoose: Re the bars, you're right, as is John (Bobafett), I'll try both and see what feels right/canvas opinions. As for the brake pads, I hear you, I'll stick with the Koolstops for now, but won't pass up the chance for some Pro Pads if they arise. And yep, the ol fins would be finished in chrome/polished  :LolLolLolLol:. In fact I nearly snagged a set of 4 from the bay the other night, I just couldn't bring myself to pay ?90 to have 4 blooming brake pads shipped from the states, me thinks that was somewhat of a pee take. So for now the Koolstops it is.

Wildon, thanks for the advice on the spider. Sorry for my ignorance, what gives the game away that this was one produced for OPC's originally? Would love the education, is it the chrome, or something else I've missed  :daumenhoch:.

Hell yea Pete, that's serious attention to detail not everyone would appreciate but fully respect the decision on the 900's. Is the clasp on the ACS lever much different to a DC tech 3? i have a pair myself but don't have the DC to compare it to!!....Seriously rare bit of kit!!! i paid ?40 for my first pair....never, ever find a bargain like that again!!probably my best score ever!!   :daumenhoch:

And Damo, the clasps, probably my ocd but there are a couple of very minor differences
(DC-Blue, ACS-Silver)
ACS is slightly wider, has a larger hole for the nut-bolt, a more rounded end, generally looks a little bigger, and has the inner knurling type finish.
?40 for a set, man that was a deal, reminds me of when I was picking parts up at the turn of the century. B2's/GT laybacks for ?5, Vincent/VDC/and other bars for ?20, etc. - good ol days. The single one I nearly snagged a week or two back now, I went to 120 for that (& still got outbid). Maybe stupid, in fact definitely stupid, but late night efforts under the influence, and a desire to get-this-one-right  :crazy2:.
Still, an alternate (much cheaper) plan has been hatched. There's a part on the way, that may/may not work out for this requirement. I'll update the thread if it works out.

Happy New Year all.  :4_17_5:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2021, 09:14 PM »
Heres a pic of a regular one for 3rd gen cranks at the top and the opc version at the bottom.  you can see there is a large recess on the opc version to allow the crank to sit into it  :daumenhoch:

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2021, 09:21 PM »
I'm looking for yet another version for 1st gen cranks that are sort of halfway between

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Awesome insight, thanks so much for letting me know, & I can't actually believe I missed that  :-[.

If I come across that third type 'in my travels' I'll be sure to let you know/grab it and let you know.

Thanks again  :4_17_5:.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Awesome insight, thanks so much for letting me know, & I can't actually believe I missed that  :-[.

If I come across that third type 'in my travels' I'll be sure to let you know/grab it and let you know.

Thanks again  :4_17_5:.

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2021, 09:55 PM »
Thanks for the education Pete, i figured they would be different.....
i sold my first pair of levers to Terry (Wildon) above but paid ?250 for my next pair!!!
i hope the alternative part works, sort of thing you could be waiting years and years for!!! mind you these days much is possible with 3D printers and CNC etc etc  :-\

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2021, 09:59 PM »
i sold my first pair of levers to Terry (Wildon) above but paid ?250 for my next pair!!!
i hope the alternative part works, sort of thing you could be waiting years and years for!!! mind you these days much is possible with 3D printers and CNC etc etc  :-\

I sold those levers on the museum and they went to oz .. i recently bought them back!

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2021, 04:25 PM »

I sold those levers on the museum and they went to oz .. i recently bought them back!

Lol.....i think i wanted to buy them back off you shortly after i sold them iirc!! Hope you well Terry  :daumenhoch:

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50 PM »
Hey,

Thanks for the input. Re the Suntour nuts, I'm aware of them my friend (& another member on here has also kindly advised via pm  :daumenhoch:). I've been chatting to the seller, to try & work out whether they're 24 or 26TPI (most Suntour are 26TPI). In doing so I've actually had a funny finding. The Tuf Neck nuts I recently bought off of ebay and thought are 26TPI are actually one of each, i.e. a mismatched pair. So, I've contacted that seller, and as they have a few sets they've kindly agreed to send me a second 24TPI one. So, all being well, and fingers crossed for now, I may well finally have this annoying little bit sorted out. Here's hoping.

That's not to say I'm ruling out the pegs idea, and I appreciate you highlighting the TN option, though I think I'll stick with the doomed nuts, as I'm struggling to get excited by the thought of pegs on this build. Also, if I did go that route I'd probably plump for these:

https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/423560

Though, as I say I'm not really feeling the pegs option. Have also considered chain stay platforms, but cant decide there either. If going that route I'd only really consider the Redline/Laser types:

https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/423016

Thanks again  :4_17_5:

But, the best news is that I've just this evening heard back that the latest round of chroming is all sorted, and will be back with me by next week, so the build will be back on soon...  explosion

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2021, 09:41 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14 PM »
Well, it may be a little premature, apparently I can be like that   "nono" :LolLolLolLol: "nono", but knew it was going to be a good night tonight when I hit my 1000th post and then Jonathan (chroming guy) messaged to say all my bits are ready and heading back my way...
 explosion
Tick tock  :smitten:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Wow, I've just checked back through the thread, it's really been 4 months since I dropped a proper update ?

OK, here goes.

When I left off, I'd just installed the cranks, chainring, pedals etc., and promised ?chain next?. Well, right now that's not going to happen, but I'm on the ?progress train? again none the less. So here goes.

From the crank area I actually moved straight on to the rear wheel and cleaning, fitting the rear Suntour 16t sprocket up to the coaster.

Trouble was (in my way) I wasn't at all happy with the finish for this build. Too many different shades of finished metal colours in a small area.

So, not happy I thought f-it, off to have some chrome laid on it all

And that's when things really slowed for the few months. My own fault but I just kept sending the guy bits after sending the first parts, rather than bag everything up all in one go. Then he had real trouble chroming one component, and so the whole process for all the parts (not just these hub parts) slowed drastically.

Anyway, everything returned a week or so back, so I've been able to re-engage.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:30 PM by Picklez »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx