gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 05:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: She's finally arrived - Changa Build  (Read 39429 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: She's finally arrived - Changa Build
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42 PM »
Can't wait to see this finally done and winning BOTM if not BOTY!! The question is, what year?? :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2023, 08:50 PM »
imo it takes years to get a build 'completely' right where you would not change another thing! this is one of those.... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline monkian

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2023, 10:08 AM »
Glad you're keeping it OG  8) :daumenhoch:
WANTED: Japanese OS / Anything Tange / Tioga / Parts!!

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2023, 08:34 PM »
Any chance you could be giving ollysth and his TRM a run for their money this month Pete ?

You must be close now  fistblump

I hope you are well 👍🏼
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2023, 11:21 PM »
Toby, Damo, Carl, Mick, everyone. Thanks for the great words since the thread bump, truly appreciated.

No Toby, going let the TRM & Free Agent battle it out my friend, and hopefully some others  :popcorn:

Been going through it a bit since just after Christmas. Worked for the same employer for decades.  Myself and a colleague (now great friend) started a company (as two founding tech members) for two owners. We created one of the worlds first bleeding edge sensors (in its class today). Over the next decades we built the company to a multi-million turn over, & >80 staff. It sold a while back, can't say to who/when. I stayed on. Well, you can guess, a load of trendy Google-letters got drafted in, royally screwed things (thinking their Harvard books had all the answers), now we're closing forever in weeks. My team's gone, my lab's gone, my baby's been killed, and the f*ckers all deserted the sinking ship without a care in the world.

I could rant on for hours, but I'm under legals that restrict me from saying f all specific (why I can't even explain clearly what it is we created, let alone be specific with any general information, as if the current owner, tw@ts, idiots, lot gets any disclosure evidence I get battered by lawyers). So, long story short tens of years of (in the early days) 120hr+ weeks devotion royally pee'd on. Been going through emotions I've always been fortunate enough to be resilient of for many long periods of my life.

All that aside, once I get clear of this cack hole I'll plough some focus in to the VDC and get it finished and entered (f it, taking a little career break). No MK this year, so a mini challenge I've set myself is, to see if can I get it ready for the SC show  :whistle:  :LolLolLolLol:

Even with all that going on (oh and there's plenty more, lol) the sun keeps shining, and surprising us. We have 3 amazing kids, but they're all spread across the 'alphabet spectrum' (not one of them is heterosexual). They're now grown into young adults that we're so proud of. But, as such we'd consigned ourselves being happy-grateful parents, but parents that may never become grandparents. Well the middle one has blown us away, we're (very unexpectedly now) due to become grandparents at the beginning of June! So f it, alls good on the side of life that really matters.

I'll get my crap together soon, and get posting some progress, be a few weeks yet though.

Oh yeah, also just blown 6K on full new suspension set up on the bug, and just started coms with a very renowned engine builder for a 'fun delivering' power plant... So, factoring that in too.

Stay strong all, keep smiling, and keep it  :radbmxsmilie:  :smitten:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 11:28 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2023, 12:29 PM »
Just read this mate! Sorry to hear about the business. Definitely keep smiling, both inside and out!! :daumenhoch:

And show us some pics of the bug!!! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2023, 01:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that mate.

As Winston C himself once said - "If you are going through hell? keep going..."

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2024, 08:57 PM »
So guys, I hope you're all well.

A sad day, over the past 48 hours my better half and I (Amber) have been chatting, and I've decided to let the Changa go  :'(.

I know, but needs must. It's been a really hectic 12 months. Firstly I was made redundant after 15 years of devotion at an awesome startup (I know I've shared those trails and tribulations previously), then I started a newCo with a dear colleague, that's still progressing well, but man, the hours it takes from you, and the cash, gawd I've never burnt money so fast or so hard. Then last summer the challenging bit. Our youngest had to go in for serious surgery, surgery that burnt 10's of thousands  :wtf:. Worse was it was touch and go for a while, a real traumatic weekend at one point, with more flat lines than hot meals. But, we got through it, and she's still with us. So, f-it, that's all that matters. Really makes you reassess though. So, even though I love my little metal baby, I love my family more, and whilst we get this business to the point we want it I've decided to release some funds from my pastimes and various collectables.

I'd always hoped to humbly finish this beauty, and (in the old days) subsequently hoped to post her in BOTM, wishing in the best case to even maybe fortunately be honoured to achieve a calendar inclusion, or bring her along to show her at MK. But, times change, life changes, and we continue. So, you may have seen, she's now listed on eBay, yep, for crazy money, but we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still build. Just not for a while yet.

None the less, I'm not going down without a fight. Over the next few days I'll be endeavouring to finish her, before I regrettably break her down in anticipation of pastures new for her.

So, if of interest watch this space, for some rapid progress to completion. All going well more to follow tomorrow.

Stay safe guys.  :radbmxsmilie:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2024, 10:17 AM »
Oh man that bums :(

You should join us in the dark side (mid school). It's much cheaper, that's for sure  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2024, 10:07 PM »
Oh man that bums :(

You should join us in the dark side (mid school). It's much cheaper, that's for sure  :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

So, I got as far as polishing the ol girl today, and putting air back in the tyres then my wife called to unexpectedly be taken to hospital. Long story short, detached retina, and being taken in for surgery in the morning.Gee's life throws you challenges in abundance sometimes!

So, may be a little delay on planned Finnish sprint on this one....

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2024, 01:37 PM »
I know how you feel believe me I do.

Couple of years ago mum had a fall and broke her leg. It went on for over a year. Toward the end of it my uncles cancer returned and eventually took him.

Sometimes it just all seems never ending. Like, you end up just sitting there hoping the silence will continue and the phone won't ring.

Life can be amazing sometimes, others it just keeps putting the boot in ffs.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2024, 01:51 PM »
So, took a little longer than anticipated, but finally got around to finding a little time.

You may recall I originally fitted a set of nice polished MX1000's front and rear to her, but that I wasn't overly happy with how they looked - the brake pickups just hung too low into the wheels. So, those were sold and a couple of MX900's were sourced.

These arrived NOS, but the late-ish 80's (86) painted ones, on this occasion white & lavender. After listed them as trade bait, not wanting to really strip NOS painted items, but getting no takers the paint stripper came out:

DC900s-Pre-Polish" border="0
DC900s-Pre-Polish1" border="0

And that's how they sat for eons, whilst I was trying to find the final parts, and then got distracted with a Vdub.

Well, not my best job, but time of the essence, so a few hours of gentle polishing yesterday:
DC900s-Parts-Front-View" border="0
DC900s-Parts-Rear-View" border="0
FtDC900" border="0
Rear-DC900" border="0

Still need to clean up the adjuster for the rear but that can happen in the next day or so.

Cable was already run for the front brake, so that will be an easy reinstall. However, rear cable hadn't been mounted yet. Not to worry, I bought a pair when I got them originally, so, rear...

A NOS clear 84 DC (same as the front obviously) and date matched: 14th Feb 1984:

NOSRear-Clear-DCCable" border="0
NOSRear-Clear-DCCable-Date-Narp" border="0
NOSRear-Clear-DCCable-Date-Stamp" border="0

As for brake pads, well that's been a ride since the beginning. Managed to source NOS black Skyway freestyle, but only ever found 2. Others came up from time to time, but kept missing them for whatever reason. Then acquired 4 x black std skyway blocks in great used condition. Then 4 x nos Eagle Freestyles (same as Skyways), but in all this time I was really trying to find 4 good Skyway Pro Freestyle's (the round finned ones), but at sensible money.

Well, in the end I found a pair of nos and a pair of used.

So, the used ones first:
Here they are as delivered (not quiet the condition of most parts on this build, but would do to start with, and they had a cool previous owner)
Skyway-Freestyle-Pads-As-Received" border="0
So, a little cleanup was needed for them to be accommodated on this build, ta dah:
Skyway-Freestyle-Pads2" border="0
Skyway-Freestyle-Pads" border="0

So, that's it for today (well yesterday), spanners coming out, and some brakes to be mounted next.

See you soon.... :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2024, 09:31 PM »
So, having the bug back I was able to carry on tonight....

The NOS skyway pads to go with the restored ones.

Note the black fins, I'd have loved to source some good used ones to polish up to match the others, but time doesn't allow and I'm not stripping these, so we'll have polished fins on one set and black ano on the other.

Skyway-Freestyle-Peo-Tuff-Pads-Nos" border="0
Skyway-Freestyle-Peo-Tuff-Pads-Nos2" border="0

Then back to that Weinmann adjuster for the rear calliper. Well a bit of a cleanup tonight:
Weinnman-Adjuster" border="0

Then we were ready for a brake mounting session (again). The rear
DC900-Rear-Fitted" border="0

And the side view, showing much less overhang into the wheels now, much happier:
DC900-Rear-Fitted1" border="0

And the front
DC900-Front-Fitted" border="0
DC900-Front-Fitted1" border="0
DC900-Front-Fitted2" border="0

And the last bits that had been slowing this build to a stand still:

The nos Black Oakley B2's  :smitten:
NOSBlack-B2s" border="0

And, OG Profile crank bolts (the originals were a little shabby, and so I'd fitted repo's, which always niggled me, so NOS OG were located and purchased)
and
NOS Black-White Veltman Hutch RadKAps (originally fitted Veltman NOS Black-White Die RadKaps)
Hutch-Rad-Kaps-Profile-Bolts" border="0

So, fitted the grips after mounting the brakes, adjusting them, and tightening the levers in position.
NOSBlack-B2-Fitted" border="0
NOSBlack-B2-Fitted1" border="0

But that's all for tonight. Final chapter tomorrow, time allowing.

:radbmxsmilie:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2024, 10:36 AM »
Woo bling on bling!

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2024, 06:13 PM »
Woo bling on bling!
Thank you  :daumenhoch:

So, tonight's instalment.

Those crank bolts, the repos:
Repro-Profile-Centre-Bolt" border="0

Finally replaced with NOS OG variants
NOSProfile-Centre-Bolt" border="0

Then those Veltman Dice (Die?) RadKaps (love this picture  :))
Veltman-Dice-Rad-Kaps" border="0

Replaced with NOS Veltman Hutch RadKaps
Veltman-Hutch-Rad-Kaps" border="0

Wow, that's nearly it, one minor job left and it'll be time to get some final photos...

That is, the seat guts, off to find the allen keys. I've flipped these seat guts one way then the other, never content with either setup, but I'm leaning back towards reverse fitting the (hidden up in the seat body), for that cleaner overall look. Well that'll be it for me.

TTFN

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2024, 10:34 PM »
Well the seat positioning. Still not sure which I prefer. I much prefer the positioning/height when the seat guts show, but prefer the look when the seat guts are recessed/hidden away, I may revert to the guts on show  :-\

Guts showing:
Kashi1" border="0

And recessed:
Kashi2" border="0

But that aside, it's kind of finished. I can't believe the day has come. Four years of hunting, searching, building. There's a couple of tweaks that I'd like to do, but that will depend on whether I retain her of she sells. We'll see.

VDCBuilt1" border="0

IMG-0484" border="0

IMG-0486" border="0

IMG-0495" border="0

I'll try to get some better pictures at the weekend, weather allowing, and if so will get some with the other bars option fitted up - the VDC second gen Woody's.

Thanks for following and all the comments and kind words over the years.

On to the next one....

Offline SDF

• Cherry Picker
  • MISS YOU DAD.
  • Rated:
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2024, 07:43 AM »
I really like this build. Been following the progress since day one.  Looks amazing now its completed.👍👍
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 07:46 AM by SDF »
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. Miss you loads Dad

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2024, 10:35 AM »
I really like this build. Been following the progress since day one.  Looks amazing now its completed.👍👍

Thanks so much, I've appreciated the comments throughout  :4_17_5:.

It certainly was a journey. Hopefully she'll remain with me for some time to come, maybe with a few parts subtly changed out. We'll see.

Take care.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2024, 10:51 AM »
Amazing dude. Absolutely amazing.

Are you going to keep it now?

I don't think I could sell that tbh. I really don't think you?d ever find another one.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2024, 05:16 PM »
Amazing dude. Absolutely amazing.

Are you going to keep it now?

I don't think I could sell that tbh. I really don't think you?d ever find another one.

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

I'd love to keep it, and you're right I'd never put another one together to this standard, finding all those parts again would be impossible.

But, medical bills are crazy at the moment, youngest girl still recovering from a severe example of Scoliosis, middle girl currently challenged with a C scare and other complications, and now my better half has lost the sight in one eye. On top of that founding a new company is just a sponge for finances you thought were your life savings - NOT. So, cash fast evaporating and therefore considering/needing-to rationalise whether nice-to-haves are really that important in the grander scheme of things  :(.

If I'm lucky I may bridge the gap selling some of the parts, and other parts, and actually holding on to the bulk of it, to then replace the sold parts with some others (not quite so nice examples but still darn good) and manage to keep the ol girl, but if not so be it. Having your loved ones trumps a hobby any day, I know we all believe that with all of our hearts.

And if it does sell oh well. I'm so lucky to still have my original DP and a couple of other bikes/projects to keep me going.

Most important is we all look after each other, stay healthy, and happy.

Ok, hippy shit over. Cheers bud  :4_17_5:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2024, 10:47 PM »
Hey Pete! Have just caught up with this, having seen the for sale ad over on the Museum. First off, congrats on finishing the bike which, of course, looks stunning, as if there was ever any doubt that it would turn out otherwise. Those final changes and finishing touches as well. As a Kashimax owner, I know exactly what you mean about those seat guts too. ;D

All of us here know how much this bike/build means to you but as you rightly said, family trumps hobbies every time and with the business on top of that, it makes complete sense to do what you're doing. Plus you've still got that DP!! :daumenhoch:

I hope the Changa finds a nice, new home but in any event, I hope the rest of the year brings better and brighter things for the Picklez household. All the best from Japan! :)

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2024, 08:50 AM »
That's a fine build Pete, an outstanding example and I'm really glad you managed to finish it.

Shame to split and sell but you're right, family come first.

Keep well and best of luck with the business.

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2024, 08:51 PM »
What can be said Pete? Brilliant thread and an absolutely stunning build to show for all your hard work. What a cracker, different class! I'm glad you got to finish her before she finds a new home. Family trumps all, I hope things work out for you all, wishing you the best.

fistblump fistblump fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx