gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 05:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Rusty AF DK Fury 1999 resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rusty AF DK Fury 1999 resto  (Read 8409 times)

Offline mamadirt

• Curb Endo
  • Freakin' plastic pedals!
  • Rated:
Rusty AF DK Fury 1999 resto
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:13 PM »
Hey, it's been a while  :daumenhoch:

Not sure how much interest this'll get on here as it's essentially a low end resto but thought I'd post anyway. 

1999 DK Bicycles Fury - rusty as freak but all original as far as I can tell apart from the front wheel. Not an expensive build by any means but still 4130 - I imported a Fury frame from the USA in the early 2Ks, built it up with a very similar spec and enjoyed many happy school hols with my boys building dirt jumps and pallet ramps in the driveway (ha! they grew up . . . I didn't :lol: ), so this will be a completely self-indulgent nostalgia build.

Brake, lever, rear hub and seatpost were seized solid, frame peppered with rust and bars and forks, well, let's just say I was concerned about structural damage  :-\

Over the last two weeks I've recovered the seat and cleaned up the bars with nothing more than a Brillo pad . . .

Forks were, er, far more of a challenge but after a couple of days getting aggressive with a big wire brush they look much more presentable although most of the chrome has flaked off.

Over all, I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out. It's certainly not going to win any beauty contests but it'll be a functional ride for the local pump track. The frame ideally needs a complete strip and respray (maybe a project for the future but for now I'm going to enjoy that lovely green). I've cleaned it up as best I can but I'm happy to leave the patina.  Brakes are now cleaned up, greased and working properly and the headset derusted, resprayed and refitted along with a new bottom bracket.

Rear wheel cleaned up a treat too and with a little adjustment is now running smooth as . . . There were one or two dings in the rim which I've managed to straighten and it'll need a quick once over with the spoke key - runs true but there are a couple of loose spokes.

Not sure what to do about the front wheel - the one it came with isn't original and bugs me as it's silver and not black  :-\  I have a Skyway copy mag wheel on the way so I could either fit that (always fancied a build with a mag front a la Dirt Bros) or I can fit that to my Subrosa and use the black Subrosa wheel on the DK

Watch this space . . .

Offline mamadirt

• Curb Endo
  • Freakin' plastic pedals!
  • Rated:
Re: Rusty AF DK Fury 1999 resto
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Turned out pretty good  8)   I had initially planned on selling it to make room for the next project but can't bring myself to let it go  "nono"

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:08 PM by mamadirt »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Rusty AF DK Fury 1999 resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx