gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 03:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New school rear brake
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New school rear brake  (Read 2560 times)

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
New school rear brake
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:51 PM »
I haven't a clue if this is in the right section so please switch it if it needs to.

I've got a new school colony bmx which I've had for a few years but only just started riding on it the last few months.

I only go out on it when I'm with my 11 year old son but I've already broken the brake lever as it just doesn't stop.

There could be a few factors why I only come to a very very steady stop, the std brake pads, seems to be flex in the cable or my 105kg.

Anyway I've been pulling on the lever that hard that I've broken it.

I've got a choice of replacement lever or replace the whole lot, lever, cable and brake.

I don't really want to spend much as I hardly use it but I do want to stop better.

I have been looking at odyssey evo set but just asking if anyone has one if these and would recommend them or any other suggestions.

I only run a rear brake as the forks don't allow front and I also like the lever to be on the left.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: New school rear brake
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Sticky pads are your answer  :daumenhoch:

Decent brake blocks with a decent cable should solve most newschool set-up issues. Ask on here to see if anyone has a decent lever going spare, I use Odyssey Monolevers but haven't got any lying about or I'd send you one  :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:45 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Sticky pads are your answer  :daumenhoch:

Decent brake blocks with a decent cable should solve most newschool set-up issues. Ask on here to see if anyone has a decent lever going spare, I use Odyssey Monolevers but haven't got any lying about or I'd send you one  :-\

I did look at the monolever but got side tracked by the evo. It's been tricky as I like the lever to be on the left but some are only available for right hand side.

What pads are you suggesting sticky wise as I know screw all about new bmx stuff

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Pretty sure they're also made by Odyssey, any decent bike shop will have them 👍
Still limping......

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Pretty sure they're also made by Odyssey, any decent bike shop will have them 👍

Righty O  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Make sure you toe them in a bit when you fit them bud, they squeal like a pig otherwise  :coolsmiley:

They have a direction arrow on them as well, so watch that little gem  ;D
Still limping......

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Make sure you toe them in a bit when you fit them bud, they squeal like a pig otherwise  :coolsmiley:

They have a direction arrow on them as well, so watch that little gem  ;D

Yep I make sure all pads are toe'd  :daumenhoch: but it is a good and valid point as it's a simple one to forget to do.

Offline firedfromthecircus

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:37 PM »
I had a similar issue with my 22.
Fitted some kool-stop pads and a tech-77 lever in l/h flavour. Definite improvement and I can now at least lock the back wheel if I want. No chance I was doing that before! All cost a lot less than an Odyssey Evo 2.5 set-up.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:28 PM »
I had a similar issue with my 22.
Fitted some kool-stop pads and a tech-77 lever in l/h flavour. Definite improvement and I can now at least lock the back wheel if I want. No chance I was doing that before! All cost a lot less than an Odyssey Evo 2.5 set-up.

I did look at the tech-77 but I wasn't sure of the quality for some reason.

I haven't done anything yet as been busy in the garden and garage

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 06:58 AM »
I run tech77’s on all my builds with clear pads , usually on an ad990 , I’m a fcuking unit and it stops me just fine .

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 06:01 PM »
I run tech77’s on all my builds with clear pads , usually on an ad990 , I’m a fcuking unit and it stops me just fine .

Your last part of the sentence has me sold  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 06:04 PM »

Your last part of the sentence has me sold  :daumenhoch:
The last part of that sentence mad me pmsl. Keep up the good humour  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New school rear brake

gfxgfx
gfx gfx