gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 18, 2024, 03:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuffs questions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Skyway Tuffs questions  (Read 1863 times)

Offline nic968

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Skyway Tuffs questions
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:57 PM »
 Hello there...

I 'm building a rider for one of my sons and I've pulled an old pair of Skyways out of the loft for him to try. They're the old alloy hubbed versions...

Two questions - What size axle nuts do these take and do I need rim tape? I can't remember - it's been a long time since I used Tuffs...

Thanks in advance people... :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Skyway Tuffs questions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Hi there,

Re rim tape, I've never run tuffs with tape, just inner tube and tyre, and no problems.

Re axle nuts, they're 3/8ths diameter, but in my experience the pitch (or tpi - threads per inch, as they're imperial) seemed to have been randomly selected by Skyway BITD. I've had both common sizes with Skyways over the years, both 24TPI and 26TPI.

But please, this is just my personal experience others on here may have far better knowledge/experience regards this matter.

Unless others can provide better knowledge the only real way to be sure would be either:

1. measure an inch of the axle threaded area and count the number of threads (bit of a ball ache)
2. Buy a Thread Gauge like one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-piece-thread-pitch-gauge-set-metric-and-imperial-SAE-Laser-7691/333504102222?hash=item4da664bf4e:g:Vu8AAOSwzQFeLqXL and measure it.

HTH's  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline nic968

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:05 PM »
 Many thanks mister...

I'll try measuring first, but I must also have some of the 'regular' nuts from some Suzue hubs that I can try for size...

Have a great Sunday.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Yep, it was a random lottery on thread pitch bitd. Pretty sure you Suzue ones will be 24tpi, so if they don't fit you need 26tpi  :daumenhoch:

Oh yeah, no tape needed. Tape just covers the back of the spoke nipple and stops it puncturing the tubes :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:44 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline nic968

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:21 AM »
 Thanks Spen... ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Skyway Tuffs questions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx