gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New Thrusters...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Thrusters...  (Read 5136 times)

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:17 AM by VOIVOD »
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: New Thrusters...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 03:33 PM »

They look very nice indeed.  8)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:54 PM »
Is there any connection between the current owners and the og company, other than the name?
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:29 PM »
what are the prices?  ???

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:52 PM »
 Think around $500...mostly hi-ten frames though so someone has probably acquired the rights to the name.
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 09:40 PM »

Not keen on those, as you say I guess someone has bought the name/rights.

Thumbs down
 "nono"
 :shocked:

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 09:32 AM »
yeah, not keen on the 20/24 versions at all but the 29 looks good, i'd be changing a lot of the parts though, that seat  :D

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 11:22 PM »

Not as good as the old ones :-)

Not been on here for ages but been thinking about finally getting this sorted out so thought I'd drop in again.  8)

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 07:23 AM »
That's lovely...
Citric bath bit of mother's will look like new again
Not much work too as all there .
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 08:47 AM »

Not been on here for ages but been thinking about finally getting this sorted out so thought I'd drop in again.  8)

Love it!! Definitely time to get that sorted out! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Wow, love it!

I love seeing bikes like this, ready for a sympathetic resto...is the chrome savable?

Good luck, keep us posted! explosion

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 09:47 AM »

24 right? CW cruiser bars? Araya's & flights? beat up suntour XC's?

killer project...

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 09:55 AM »

24 right? CW cruiser bars? Araya's & flights? beat up suntour XC's?

killer project...

bullseye hubs?

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Yeah 24. Not XC's just the rubbish copy ones they used to do.   

The rust is pretty bad tbh in places. Especially on the frame and ends of the flights.   

They are GT hubs.  The bike belonged to a friend, he bought the hubs from me when I quit riding in the 80's. He tragically passed away in his early twenties and years later I managed to get the bike off his parents with a view to restoring it as they had just left it.       

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Yeah 24. Not XC's just the rubbish copy ones they used to do.   

The rust is pretty bad tbh in places. Especially on the frame and ends of the flights.   

They are GT hubs.  The bike belonged to a friend, he bought the hubs from me when I quit riding in the 80's. He tragically passed away in his early twenties and years later I managed to get the bike off his parents with a view to restoring it as they had just left it.     

Even better story mate; again good luck! I nearly went GT.... :tickedoff:

I thought it might be too far gone..........so it's off to the platers then......not had anything chromed in donkey's.......what's the going rate for a f/f these days then?

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 11:25 AM »
That would look awesome in White Powder. Did they come in white? I suspect you will want to keep to original given the connection with your friend though...

I love a white powder...

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26 AM »
Fantastic ! You gotta keep us updated with this.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Firstly welcome back  :daumenhoch: please stick around  ;)  this place used to be full of threads like this we all love a good bmx story  :) especially survivors are great! we'd all love to  find a bike like this and as the others have mentioned a sympathetic restore would be awesome on this and a build thread would be great to follow on here  :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:50 AM by Taipan »

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Cheers guys,

I had loads of stuff rechromed years ago on my Gen 1 and GT I have. It was about ?350 to do frame , forks,  bars etc. Saw a thread on FB that would be about double that now at the place I went.   

I was thinking the rebuild would be a mixture of some rechroming and the old stuff back on . Not ideal really as it's a bit of a mis match .  Shame that it's so bad. It was left in a garage with a leaky roof and the rain constantly falling on it for 20 years.

I need to get some 24 inch skinwalls . I see Porkchop does them but I'd like some from the UK if possible. Going to be riding this bike I think.     

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 03:05 PM »
This thread has turned into a belter; stopped us bitchin' about all the eBay lockdown prices for a minute anyway...this is what we should be talking about!

It was about ?350 to do frame , forks,  bars etc. Saw a thread on FB that would be about double that now at the place I went. 

I had a horrible feeling you were going to say that, that's what made me think about powder coating white. Some will hate it but 700 quid for a re-chrome?? Wow. Do the f/f, bars & post white, chrome the flights of course, plenty of change for all your rubbers and whatnots.....

Of course it's your bike mate, and a tribute to your mate, so do what you want, but I would have way more fun with that 'left over lolly' when I got home from the powdercoater's....past the plater's....... 

griff

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 03:30 PM »

That's better  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2020, 02:25 AM »

I was thinking the rebuild would be a mixture of some rechroming and the old stuff back on

Depending on what kind of build you want to end up with mate, don't be too put off by the rust.......

I had a 1984 mongoose grand prix years ago and it was coated in rust like yours - gave it a citric acid bath and it was easily good enough for a tidied up survivor build so don't rush out to the re-chromers just yet - get yourself a tub of citric acid powder......

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Give it a go mate.......

She's only original once  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

griff

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 04:16 PM »
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 08:42 AM »

I was thinking the rebuild would be a mixture of some rechroming and the old stuff back on

Depending on what kind of build you want to end up with mate, don't be too put off by the rust.......

I had a 1984 mongoose grand prix years ago and it was coated in rust like yours - gave it a citric acid bath and it was easily good enough for a tidied up survivor build so don't rush out to the re-chromers just yet - get yourself a tub of citric acid powder......

Give it a go mate.......

She's only original once  :daumenhoch:

I am seriously impressed how well that goose came out! I've never seen a 'before/after' for citric acid bath treatment.  when I had all my rusty frames this process was not practiced/know about, i don't know but nobody was doing it.....

shit! that is amazing....

I am a firm believer in 'it's only original once' first appreciated by me more in the VW/Automotive world back in the early 2000's when everybody stopped painting '54 Oval Beetles and all the Cool Kids with Trucker hats had 'Original Paint' cars.....no matter how shit!

Then I starting seeing the term 'Survivor' appear all over the OS BMX scene.....

Get that THRUSTER in the bath! Take LOTS of pictures...... :popcorn:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New Thrusters...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx