gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 10:54 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG  (Read 11308 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2020, 09:03 PM »

He was dead proud of himself. It's one of those 50/50 finishes though. Looks 50% from 50 ft. If you look closely at that pic you can see the mass of paint (it was a ring about 3mm thick) around the seat clamp area where he fitted the clamp whilst the paint was wet.

:2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2020, 09:31 PM »
lol I'm sure we've all been there. I shouldn't have even fitted the decals yet tbh. Stupidity knows no bounds, now I have a nice thumb print on the side of the head tube  :LolLolLolLol:

I should be mad at myself, but human nature. And hey, if it gets nicked and the police find it it has my finger print on......

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2020, 04:45 PM »
About all I could do today was chase out the brake posts with a tap (it was full of old thread locker) and get the paint off the posts. Seat clamp goes on really smooth, and tried out the alt pads.

I will clean out the head tube and BB tomorrow. There's no major rush, as I want to fit the BB first and I don't have it yet.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2020, 09:41 PM »
Headset went in earlier. Now I am stuck until the BB arrives. HARUMPH.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2020, 11:35 PM »
That's looking great! Love that colour and decal combination! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2020, 08:12 AM »
It was definitely a little bit lucky. All it needs is a gold PROPS sticker to make it more authentic. Problem being is I only have one and it came with my Go Fast Pull Up blu ray. I don't really want to use it.

So I got those instead :)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2020, 11:52 PM »
OK so I went down earlier and put on the bars and stem etc. Made up the brake lines, etc. Made up a straddle cable also.

I will hold off on pics until there is daylight, or until it's finished. It just depends how long this other shit takes to arrive. I got the chain tensioners earlier, so all good there.

One thing I noticed when I put the stem pad on (yeah yeah, I am being a tease) was that the grips look wrong. I can't exactly put my finger on why. In fact, yes, yes I can. I am becoming anal in my old age, and like the seat I just feel they are far too "new" to be on the bike. Usually I don't care about stuff like that (I don't have one truly era correct bike) and usually I don't give a shit but on this it just feels wrong. Usually as I say, I throw money at a problem and "git r done" but I can't do that here. In fact, I think that is a big reason why I ended up hating both of my 80s bikes and got rid of them, because I threw loads of money at them and they weer soulless. That didn't matter and TBH? I don't care as I hate 80s bikes any way. They pissed me off enough then, I don't want pissing off any more.

I also realised I could pull shit off because of the pads that maybe I couldn't have before. Like the red seat for example, it just screams S&M and is period correct. And, that hookup cost me less than half of what I paid for the Bone Deth seat alone, and that can be used on something else.

So yeah. I've worked so god damned hard on this bike. More than any other. It has been a total labour of love, and every single last bearing nut and bolt has been removed and put back after being restored. So I wanted to treat myself. So I had a look around and these popped up. NOS. I don't know how old they are, or if they are repops or what. Hilariously they were even cheaper than the Bone Deth grips but will just work so much better.

I was going to get some Longnecks, as they were my weapon of choice BITD. Or Ame. But I have two bikes with Ame on already.

See that's another reason why I ditched the S&M pedals. They weren't era correct, didn't look era correct and had the modern S&M logo on which totally didn't fit.

I may aswell cut off the BD grips now as they are so small (short ass bars) that they aren't worth rescuing. As I say, usually I wouldn't care but this time for some reason (maybe because of all of the work and suffering, I'm still getting burned with paint stripper lmao ) I just want it right.

As I say, I don't know when they were made but they are definitely not brand new and modern. Nobody makes bar ends like that any more.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2020, 12:13 PM »
Hark at me last night being all reflective. Any way, I was right about the grips. Now I sound like the old bloke from the Yellow Pages advert. Remember that? "Eeee, I was right about that seat !"

They don't look right.

This came today  :surprise:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2020, 12:39 PM »
This is a great thread! Not only is it fun watching the twists and turns of the build but it's a good read. I liked this comment:-

"I don't care as I hate 80s bikes any way. They pissed me off enough then, I don't want pissing off any more."

:LolLolLolLol:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I spent more time working on my 80s bikes than riding them. Loose headsets, loose cranks, loose bearings on the wheels, bars that kept moving etc. I mean it was fun then don't get me wrong (and  learned a lot) but yeah, aggro.

So many funny things have happened (well, looking back) whilst doing this.

I was sat on the back step of the house doing the frame and somehow (I still don't know how) the paint stripper can (open) ended up under me. The vapour burned my left nut. Like seriously, that stuff is savage.

So yeah I had to sit there, eyes watering, stripping away. It burned for about an hour. When chasing out the brake adjuster last night there must have been some left in there too, so I got burnt again.

Water doesn't seem to displace it it would seem. Next time I will bust out the Fairy.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 02:52 PM »
OK cranks and pedals on.

Was the combo I went with.

The only thing I do want to do is paint the pedal caps red. I have to order red paint for the Fat Boy tomorrow so I will do that when it arrives. The seat post should be here tomorrow with any luck.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2020, 04:18 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 07:02 PM »

Still can't believe I used to ride those bars. My back aches just looking at it.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2020, 04:57 AM »

Ohh.... nearly there  :coolsmiley:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Yup I got done at about 1am.

The chain fought me, so I took a break. I first made it too short, then had to add a bit back in. I hate chains, it's like trying to wrestle a greasy pig.

I went back down at around 11pm last night and started on the brake. Thread locker hadn't been open for a while so peed all over my hand. After washing my hands about ten times (call me the Teflon Don FFS) I cracked on. Got the brake tuned up beautifully and etc. Just as I was about to go to bed I thought "I'll give it one more hard yank !" and then I found out the straddle bolt wasn't tight enough and I pulled the cable out  :LolLolLolLol:

Back to square three.... Oh well, it's done now and I see two packages at the bottom of the stairs. Hint, I only had two to arrive ;)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2020, 01:50 PM »

Yup.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Two things left to do. One, I need to buy a new headset bolt. The one in the S&M fork is huge, and the threaded part is welded in and part of the fork. I don't have a replacement, apart from some ugly old bolt the guy who sold it to me was using. I will get an allen bolt. As such the star nut only went in on one set of the spikes, and has pulled out I'm sure of it. So the headset isn't properly tightened, as I could not get the pre load on it.

Secondly I can not do the grips ATM. It will sound pretty complicated, so I drew this up.

Right. As you can see they say "S&M BIKES" and I don't want to lose that. If I cut the grips the normal way? I will lose it. So I need to cut them around where the smooth part joins the grip at the flange end (first arrow to right of grip) but cut it perfectly straight. Then measure, then cut a piece of the grip out indicated with the up and down arrow and the line. Then once that is done I need a piece of bar (I have some in the shed I can cut up). I need to fit the grip, mark it with masking tape (for a perfect line) then cut the flange end off. Then I need to cut the grip to the right length (section it out) and then basically super glue the parts back together.

This will sound really risky but I am pretty confident. Firstly on the brake side the brake will stop it separating, but on the other the glue will. I have done similar fun like this before with a bike with cut bars.

So you can get them super straight if you do it the correct way. And no, I am not putting them on like that with the lever "in them" so to speak. I am just going to cut them and put them back together so none of the good bits are lost. I would do that today, but I sliced open my finger last night so I CBA. I will do that when it heals up.

But yeah, other than the pre load bolt and the grips she is done.

Manuel went on the seat post. I eyed up loads of others but that one made me smile the most.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2020, 11:01 PM »
I know it's all a personal thing, etc, etc, but before you cut them up (or your hand again), I'm not sure I'm feeling those grips. They may look better on but unless that shade of yellow matches those of the pads (I can't tell if they do), will they go with the rest of the bike? I'll shut up now! :-X

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2020, 07:49 AM »
I know it's all a personal thing, etc, etc, but before you cut them up (or your hand again), I'm not sure I'm feeling those grips. They may look better on but unless that shade of yellow matches those of the pads (I can't tell if they do), will they go with the rest of the bike? I'll shut up now! :-X

I was gonna say the same  :-[

But...... I didn't so it's all Mick's fault  :LolLolLolLol:

I quite like the black grips  :-\

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Hey guys. I typed up a reply last night but it seems I have found this combination on my keyboard that deletes all of your text.  :LolLolLolLol:

I was so dog tired last night I couldn't type it again.

They are more yellow in person. Like, darker. I will try them against the bars and see over the weekend. I won't cut off the Bone Deths, just in case they don't look right. I will try them on there though and see. That or I will put the black ones back on if they don't look right and use the S&M ends? IDK.

It's going to be a carpet queen though for sure. You can see how low the seat is right, now look again at those bars. I stood over it the other night and laughed. I literally had to bend my knees just to hold the bars.

They (the grips) were six pounds fifty. So TBH? it would be no great loss. I really lucked out. I also sold the Metal sprocket last night, which paid for the donor bike. So this owes me less than ?200 without the whip girl pads (I won't count those as it had pads already).

My Props decals came today but my sliced finger isn't healing up well (being it's on the join). Going to have the weekend off because I am shattered. I've been working like crazy on the bike, looking after my mother (her back has been terrible) cooking, cleaning, etc. But the worst part is I have to spend about 45 mins getting stuff out before I can work, then work, then spend 45 mins running up and down the loft ladder putting it all back. And I am autistic, so my OCD is crazy. I will take my sleep pills, be lying in bed at 2am and think "I will just nip down and do this or that".

Oh and I will enter it in the July thing. I've never entered a competition before but I see there aren't many going in this month so hey whatever I will chuck mine in.

Have a great weekend !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2020, 01:25 PM »
OK grabbed these for Justin. It was these and Ame I rode back then.

Just in case yellow looks off. I also found these whilst searching.

lol so cool must have. I got the schrader ones.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39 PM »
Headset finally sorted.

I found the correct shim for the Onza (it was all chucked in a box) but I was right about the pre load star washer. It had pulled up to the top cap (about 1/2 out) and was preventing me pre loading the bearings properly. So I said I was going to order an allen bolt? no chance. When I got up into the loft to grab that heffer old bolt it turns out it's some weird yank shit.

That will be why it's a big stainless bolt then. What I hated was that it had numbers on the top, making it look proper ghetto. So I did what any sane person would do, spent about an hour filing that shit off. And then sanding and then, just to top it off, (badum tish !) I masked it up with fine line tape and painted the top.

We're nearly there.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Nice touch on the bolt detailing  :coolsmiley:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2020, 09:21 PM »
I'd like to have polished it but sadly all I had up to was P800. I only painted the top because if you paint a bolt then take a spanner to it the paint will just come off. So it was sort of a happy medium.

I love the original SNAFU top cap. It's like a whacking great bolt made out of alu, with a pott's bolt cut into it. You do it up with the massive great bolt. Unfortunately the head on this bolt is way too big to sink into it, and the bolt with the SNAFU stem is too small to fit into the thread in the fork. It's something S&M did alone by the looks of it. It should have this on it (not mine, but a NOS example owned by a guy on the BMXM)

It looks like any other pott's bolt but the thread is almost the same size as the bolt head. It's bloody huge.

Maybe at some point I will get my buddy with the machines to machine down the head of my bolt to fit into the big old SNAFU thing? IDK. Maybe that *is* over thinking it a little.

I picked up another project bike today. I've been thinking about getting something chrome for ages and something came up. So I might do that next, as it's literally a clean and build without all of the OCD lol.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2020, 05:19 AM »

I picked up another project bike today.

Spoken like a true RADster  :LolLolLolLol:

:radbmxsmilie:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG

gfxgfx
gfx gfx