gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 04:03 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Thought it was time to start building again..........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thought it was time to start building again..........  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
Re: Thought it was time to start building again..........
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Is that (In a Scouse accent).... "wake up Joff, Jai's got NOS Oakleys for sale" then you fell out your tent..... ???

:2funny:
Still limping......

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Is that (In a Scouse accent).... "wake up Joff, Jai's got NOS Oakleys for sale" then you fell out your tent..... ???

:2funny:

Almost Spen mate - but it wasn't a tent - it was the "Savoy" aka the front seats of Joff's old van  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

In2bmx

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38 PM »
Keep the pics coming mate .  :4_17_5:

You’ve got me twitching.  Have you a goose F&F for Sell  :D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:59 PM by in2bmx »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Shaping up nicely that John.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 01:38 AM »

Today's activity...... Shimano Tourney brake restoration.

So..... whilst most of the BMX collector world is hunting for Dia Compe there is a small corner that lust after the "mighty hard to pair-up" Shimano Tourney full set-up and that is the brake set that the 1979 mongoose catalogue has this build adorned with so here we go.....

Trouble with the Shimano Tourney front and rear set-up is that rear calipers and right hand levers are a-plenty but left levers and front calipers can be a right bitch to find  ::)

Then there's the cable ferrules where the cable meets the lever - the plastic ones are horrible and the alloy ones are friggin hard to find.

So... this set (should have taken some before pics... doh) was a pair of NOS but very faded red (AKA pink) levers and 2 odd colour (blue & gold) scratched faded rear calipers. Got some front caliper hardware from buying a Shimano Tourney road bike shorty caliper set and swapping over - also got the NOS Shimano brake blocks from that same road bike set. Finally found some alloy ferrules randomly on ebay and got some nice old stock cables (probably road bike as well but they look nice so f"ck it).

Stripped the ano off with good old Oven Pride and lightly hand polished (not really a fan of the polish the f'ing life out of it style personally so went easy on them).

Quite happy with the results to be honest. Build is near completion now. God help us all when this build is done because I guarantee the second I need a sunny day to take a picture it will p!ss down for weeks !!!!

:)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Great work on the brakes! I think road bikes are an underused source for older brakes, cranks and pedals. :daumenhoch:

Now get this baby finished!! ;)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Top work on the the brakes there  :4_17_5:.

Far more satisfying buying and saving old parts than just bolting on NOS when possible. Trouble I find with the former is the risk. Most times things work out ok, but (for me at least) on some occasions you realise the part was just too far gone in the first place.

Keep up the great work.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Looking good  :daumenhoch:
Question on the ferrules... are they the type needed for DX levers too ? Pretty scarce if so.
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 06:37 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2020, 12:31 AM »
Question on the ferrules... are they the type needed for DX levers too ? Pretty scarce if so. 

It's a standard fit ferrule - the Dia Compe or generic copies will fit the Tourney lever just fine.... i'm just an obsessive freak and wanted exactly what was in the '79 catalogue lol  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 07:40 AM »

It's a standard fit ferrule - the Dia Compe or generic copies will fit the Tourney lever just fine.... i'm just an obsessive freak and wanted exactly what was in the '79 catalogue lol  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks for that. :LolLolLolLol: Good for you, the devil is in the detail after all   >:D
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 05:31 AM »
So..........

Going quickly this build as you can tell  :10_2_12:  :LolLolLolLol:

Lockdown has actually been mad busy work wise for me strangely enough but hey ho..... can't complain.

Managed to get a bit of time on the old girl over the last couple of days......

Every build has it's challenges - this build is all about the minigoose brake bridge.

The minigoose has a shorter rear triangle at the top due to the shorter seat mast but they put the brake bridge the same distancae down as the full size frame which gives a very small window for gearing options / wheel & tyre placement.

This is something they rectified in later years (check the pics below comparing the 79 and later 81 brake bridge position for comparison).

Anyway.... clearance is clearance - it's tight but it's ok. The build is finished so finished pics will be coming soon............

1979 minigoose brake bridge......

1981 minigoose brake bridge......

:daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 08:13 PM »

Oh, and here is the brake bridge on my daughter's January 1981 minigoose rider - still low down (my other '81 is July so they must have ran with the brake bridge in the shit position all the way until early/mid 81 and then sorted it out !)

::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Thought it was time to start building again..........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx