gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 25, 2024, 05:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1987 MBK Bercy Masters
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1987 MBK Bercy Masters  (Read 7497 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
1987 MBK Bercy Masters
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:20 PM »
A few bits ordered for the rat... we don't want it looking brand new now do we  :LolLolLolLol:
The seat I've got to spare so I'll see how it looks and the dust caps were gifted to me by an eBay seller 👍🏼
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:04 PM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 87 MBK Bercy Masters
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Pedals landed today along with the Skyway EZ bars. The bars are a shade or two lighter but they're on for a test fit and look good. The seat ain't cutting it but will have to do for now  "nono"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:36 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Renegade

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Would one of those pink meteor lites work?

https://en-gb.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1102257363493276/

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 11:05 PM »
Would one of those pink meteor lites work?

https://en-gb.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1102257363493276/

Thanks for the tip off 👍🏼 It would be perfect if I was going with the og style saddle. There is a touch of pink on the frame so would work well. I put the original on and decided I'm not a Trick Top fan. I took it off the next day. Something will turn up in time. I've also just blown the last of the build budget on some used Panaracer hp 406 in white. Thanks again, it's good to know Radsters are trying to help out on other people's  builds  fistblump

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 11:41 PM »
Love the Stormtrooper dustcaps, and even better for being freebies! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:42 PM »
Yo. love these MBK's. would love to see a pic of the frame. My mate has still got one of these. was mostly original so know most of the parts...really good geometry for the time :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:43 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:51 PM »
Yo. love these MBK's. would love to see a pic of the frame. My mate has still got one of these. was mostly original so know most of the parts...really good geometry for the time :daumenhoch:

Here you go Damo, this is a pic from the listing. Looking a bit sad  :LolLolLolLol:
I'm sure I looked at an old thread about you building one of these but the pics are gone.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 02:11 AM »

Here you go Damo, this is a pic from the listing. Looking a bit sad  :LolLolLolLol:
I'm sure I looked at an old thread about you building one of these but the pics are gone.

Looks cool mate! What are you going to do with it? Those grips won't be too comfy!!
Yea cool story with my mates one, it was advertised on here a good few years ago. was in France. i liked the look of the frame and dibbed it but my mate showed an interest i let him have it as i didn't really need it. It turns out his stepfathers son lived in the same town in France and collected it and brought it over the next time he visited!
The frames are not amazing quality but the geometry is great for an old school ride (19.5 tt iirc) and the standard parts list is not too bad, had an MBK spinner, Anlun stem etc.
his had been sprayed silver so we repainted it baby blue and bought a few new parts with some custom graphics. He ended up repainting it all white and putting 'Adidas' decals on it...looked pretty cool! i like the standard bars on these, would rather have them than the EZ's. we replaced the snakepost with a laback. looked much better!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:13 AM by deeman »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 05:01 AM »

we replaced the snakepost with a laback. looked much better!

Told ya  ::)

:LolLolLolLol:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 11:22 AM »

we replaced the snakepost with a laback. looked much better!

Told ya  ::)

Yup, it's going but need a 22.6 post. Tried the Odyssey and it wasn't clamping down  at all. I think I've found something though  :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 11:40 AM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Gonna build as is Damo and use as a shopper ride. The grips have already been cut off, the ones pictured above might work but I found some white a'me grips in my stash. The plate is off too, looks better for it I reckon. I agree on the bars, the Bercy bars are cool. The EZ's look good on it but I do want to tease the og's back into shape eventually. Cool story about your mates bike, it's a small world hey. Mine was bought from France too. I knew the quality wasn't the best but it's solid, straight with no dents cracks and this bike has been very well used. Does a 22.6 seat post ring a bell with you? The 22.2 Odyssey I tried didn't clamp in at all.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 03:58 PM »
Gonna build as is Damo and use as a shopper ride. The grips have already been cut off, the ones pictured above might work but I found some white a'me grips in my stash. The plate is off too, looks better for it I reckon. I agree on the bars, the Bercy bars are cool. The EZ's look good on it but I do want to tease the og's back into shape eventually. Cool story about your mates bike, it's a small world hey. Mine was bought from France too. I knew the quality wasn't the best but it's solid, straight with no dents cracks and this bike has been very well used. Does a 22.6 seat post ring a bell with you? The 22.2 Odyssey I tried didn't clamp in at all.

i don't remember using a different post , just make a shim from a beer can if it's not quite wide enough, It is possible we did that but i don't recall it...Sorry i can't be of more help!

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 05:51 PM »

i don't remember using a different post , just make a shim from a beer can if it's not quite wide enough, It is possible we did that but i don't recall it...Sorry i can't be of more help!

No problem Damo. No beer can needed  :LolLolLolLol: I've just bought a cheap  Hsin Lung 4130 crmo lay back which is 22.6. Should do the job and look better too. If the few bits I'm waiting on arrive by the weekend I'll be posting some finished pics  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 10:23 PM »

No problem Damo. No beer can needed  :LolLolLolLol: I've just bought a cheap  Hsin Lung 4130 crmo lay back which is 22.6. Should do the job and look better too. If the few bits I'm waiting on arrive by the weekend I'll be posting some finished pics  :daumenhoch:

Those Hsin Lun posts are cool, i have had a couple. they are alot better than cheaper more angular versions. Are you going to change the tyres? A pair of Black or white Kenda K55's would look great on there...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:25 PM by deeman »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Those Hsin Lun posts are cool, i have had a couple. they are alot better than cheaper more angular versions. Are you going to change the tyres? A pair of Black or white Kenda K55's would look great on there...
[/quote]

That's good to know about the post  :daumenhoch:
I'm waiting a pair of Panaracer HP406's in white to arrive. They were part of a Tyre bundle. The others are Knarly knobbies I need for another build. Got lucky they were listed together. I did fit some Odyssey Barefeet I have but wasn't happy with the look. If they were white I?d have left them on. Just waiting for a decent saddle to pop up but in the same breath I'm skint Skint
You're  a freestyle man so any ideas on what to go with. I've decided against a Trick Top, I'm thinking handler or tioga fs. Something like that. What? say you ??

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 10:59 PM »

That's good to know about the post  :daumenhoch:
I'm waiting a pair of Panaracer HP406's in white to arrive. They were part of a Tyre bundle. The others are Knarly knobbies I need for another build. Got lucky they were listed together. I did fit some Odyssey Barefeet I have but wasn't happy with the look. If they were white I?d have left them on. Just waiting for a decent saddle to pop up but in the same breath I'm skint Skint
You're  a freestyle man so any ideas on what to go with. I've decided against a Trick Top, I'm thinking handler or tioga fs. Something like that. What? say you ??
[/quote]

Trik top was stock equipment and not to everyone's taste including mine!  Handler's are disgusting . forget those...i would defo go with a Tioga Fs or a Dominator, or a Viscount Dyna...All would look good and be era correct  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Think Damo's right, a Dominator would probably suit her well, grey or white maybe  :-\.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Thanks for some solid and sensible choices there guys. It will be one of the mentioned for sure, when funding is available  :LolLolLolLol: Defo gonna be grey or white too.  White A'me grips went on this evening after work. Seat post ,tyres and front brake holding me up now. EZ decals on or off chaps ??

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 02:33 AM »
Thanks for some solid and sensible choices there guys. It will be one of the mentioned for sure, when funding is available  :LolLolLolLol: Defo gonna be grey or white too.  White A'me grips went on this evening after work. Seat post ,tyres and front brake holding me up now. EZ decals on or off chaps ??

just use the original bars then you won't have the dilemma! Doesn't matter if the decals are on or off, everyone knows what they are...

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 11:36 PM »
Quick update...
Come home from work to find the Lee Chi brake, Panaracer tyres and HL seat post had arrived. Tyres on, post in ( forgot to swap out the guts for cleaner silver for the gold) Rear spindle swapped out for front on the brake and readied for pots mod. I'm thinking I now need to use a new front cable and swap out the front and rear outers ffs  :tickedoff:
... and yes, the lay back looks so much better than the snake 🐍
I'll hopefully have some pics up at the weekend  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 11:43 PM »
Looking forward to the pics. Did have to chuckle, reading "I'm thinking I now need to use a new front cable and swap out the front and rear outers ffs"

It never ends  :LolLolLolLol:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 12:37 AM »
Looking forward to the pics. Did have to chuckle, reading "I'm thinking I now need to use a new front cable and swap out the front and rear outers ffs"

It never ends  :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: Yup, these ?it won't take much to get this finished? projects always have other ideas. I didn't want to mess with the cables  "nono"
 I fear the rear will put up a fight when it's frayed end needs to be fed in the replacement outer. That's if the grey one I have has enough length to do the job. I've also noticed that the levers have more sag than an 80 year olds scrotum  :nuts:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 01:50 AM »
I dunno what it is with brake setups but they are often the bane of a build in my experience  ::)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I dunno what it is with brake setups but they are often the bane of a build in my experience  ::)

I've been lucky so far tbh. This time I knew being a freestyle virgin I didn't want to mess with the rotor set up if at all possible. I suppose if I do I may as well strip, clean and grease the head set whilst it's all disconnected :chin:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2020, 12:24 AM »
Nearly done   :LolLolLolLol:

The chain was the first little job this evening. The one that came on the bike was half the og and half a newer chain and had seen better days. I had a silver Izumi gifted to me from the same bloke that gave me the cool stormtrooper dust caps. I?d tried to use it on my a Procraft Ultima build but it was a link or two short. It was the perfect length for the Bercy so on it went.

Cables next  :crybaby: I decided to replace the front inner and outer and the rear inner and outer from the lever to the rotor only. I had some grey Dia-Compe BMX cables hanging around, not a perfect match for the rotor to rear brake section being saved but they will do. So I used the rear for the front pots mod set up and the front for the rear lever  to rotor run. Whilst the cables were off I had to reposition the stationary cable holder to the right of the headstock, as per MBK advert. Whether this is correct or not I don't know but it looks better and seems to work better too. The cable adjuster on the rotor was bent so I straightened it the best I could to avoid cable rub on the shoulder of the stem.  I didn't clean and grease the headset as planned because it didn't seem to need it. So I though this will get finished tonight, wrong! I opened my packs of new white skyway brake pads and set about fitting. They looked shite tbh, too long and a horrible fit with all those rounded adjusting washers taking up too much space. I tried a few different arrangements before pulling them off repacking and thinking f**k that, I'll get those cheap white Fibrax pads on fleabay for this old girl.

I swapped out the rough gold seat guts for some cleaner silver guts that came with the seat I'm using for now. By the way, what do you guys think of the Velo Gripper seats? Another possibility to suit the Bercy perhaps ?? Not having much luck finding a seat right now.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:26 AM by Chilli Rinse »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1987 MBK Bercy Masters

gfxgfx
gfx gfx