gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 02:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring battered powerbites
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring battered powerbites  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Restoring battered powerbites
« on: July 03, 2020, 01:42 PM »
Hey guys, I have a set of V2 powerbites that I am looking to restore back to there former glory. How do I go about sanding out the scrapes and polishing them up. Any advice/tips would be appreciated!

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Restoring battered powerbites
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:39 PM »
Were they the cheap ones on Ebay recently? A pic would help.

I considered it, but really don't have the machinery needed.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:52 PM »
As said, pop some pics up as would help understand what's needed  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13 PM »
As requested some pics.

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:15 PM »
More pics

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Trust me, they are not battered  :LolLolLolLol: I've seen some with most of the pedal boss area ground off.

What finish did you want them to be? black? polished?

If polished? get your arms ready. It will involve lots of work, but they will come up killer.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 08:32 PM »
agreed, I was anticipating much worse than that. They'll come up a treat with a little effort. As asked, what type of finish are you striving for silver, polished, black,....?

If polished then (with some elbow grease) that will be relatively straight forward.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chunk4444

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 09:54 PM »
That's good news. What should I use auto sol or high grit sandpaper.?

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 11:18 PM »
First up they will be anodised. That is why they have stayed silver and not gone manky. You will need to remove all of that. For that I would use P800 wet, because anodising is not something you want to do dry. Don't breathe it in.

Once that is gone then you will need to use something coarse to work out the scratches. Then switch back to wet sanding, then get it on a buffing wheel.

Do know that once you polish them you will need to keep doing so. So if it is a show bike? fine. If not? I would leave them as they are if you are riding them.

There are probably professionals who can do it much quicker. Look for a place in your area.

Looking back at them they appear to have clear coat on? it might be some sort of ano but it looks more like clear as it's crazed. That will all need to come off.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 05:03 AM »

Yup totally agree with above ^^

I did a set of Shimano Tourney cranks a few years ago - fook knows what they coat that alloy in - I thought clear anodised at first and did the usual Oven pride that I've done shit loads of times - didn't touch it. Then thought it must be clear coat and tried various paint strippers - no joy. In the end I just got the wet n dry out and went through the grades.  Remember as said above that's some nasty dust you'd be creating right there so go like Batman shagging..... wet with a mask  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 02:41 PM »
I wonder if SBD does polishing? You could get them polished, then cleared with powder. Will be super durable too.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring battered powerbites

gfxgfx
gfx gfx