gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hutch Trickstar / Windstyler forks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch Trickstar / Windstyler forks  (Read 15085 times)

Offline Superkip

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Hutch Trickstar / Windstyler forks
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry if wrong section - it's my first post :)

Long time lurker here, I have an 85 Trick star and would like clarification on the forks.

After doing a bit of research, I think I might have Windstyler forks.

My frame is a Japanese 85 serial and the forks came with it.  And I know the Japanese forks can have differences but have not seen any like mine with the double drilled dropouts.  Also the thickness of them looks more like trickstar dropouts, or am I wrong?  The crown looks defo windstyler.

Can anyone confirm?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch Trickstar / Windstyler forks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Hey, you havent got original Trick Star forks.  The bends are all wrong.

They look like Windstyler shape but wind styler forks have a hole in the end of the pegs.

Some Hutch forks had double drilled drop outs.  I owned Trick star forks with them.  another example - https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/13064

I'd say you have Windstyler forks and someone has filled in the ends of the pegs to make them look like Trick Star forks.

Some windstyler forks had thicker drop outs ... check the white one in this thread - https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=787571

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Your serial is on the drop outs right?  There is some debate about very late trickstars being made with serial on the bottom bracket and the more rounded font on the 'Hutch' on the brake bridge.  I've never seen one only a pic of a half welded prototype.  But if one of these did roll off the production line its possible it'd have forks like those. 
I'm guessing thats not the case with yours though?

Offline Superkip

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Your serial is on the drop outs right?  There is some debate about very late trickstars being made with serial on the bottom bracket and the more rounded font on the 'Hutch' on the brake bridge.  I've never seen one only a pic of a half welded prototype.  But if one of these did roll off the production line its possible it'd have forks like those. 
I'm guessing thats not the case with yours though?

Serial is upper left dropout (frame not fork) which starts with a 5 and ends with a small baseball, so assume this is Japanese?

I checked for signs of holes being filled in on the peg ends but looks clean?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:31 PM by Superkip »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 01:00 AM »
Terry (Wildon) has owned some of the nicest Trick stars i have seen! It would be fairly easy for someone competent to fill holes with weld and powder over. you would never know until you stripped them! I would love to see a pic of the whole bike regardless!!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Superkip

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Yeah I think thats what has happened  :daumenhoch:

Regarding pics, it's still a work in progress but heres a teaser pic of where I am at so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:08 AM by Superkip »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Brilliant effort for you first build  fistblump
That's stunning mate  explosion
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11 AM »
i would lookout for some Hutch 'Woody' bars rather than the Dominguez ladder bars which just add weight and are fairly useless and a bit of a  gimmick! the bike will look way cleaner  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 09:28 PM »
I had an 84 trickstar that came with the double holes in drops on forks. I was told they were like this on the really early ones. ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Hutch Trickstar / Windstyler forks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx