gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
969715 Posts in 138211 Topics by 6001 Members - Latest Member: beaumont707 October 24, 2020, 06:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Refinishing carbon cranks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Refinishing carbon cranks  (Read 727 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Refinishing carbon cranks
« on: July 23, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Thought I would bung up a thread on this. So I have hit the limit on my bikes now. I have no space for any more (booooooo). No one said I could not upgrade the ones I have though :D

A couple of years back I bought some forged carbon cranks for my fixie not fixed. They were totally battered. So I wet sanded out all of the scratches and bad clear coat (they were shiny eww I hate shiny carbon !)

I repainted the pedal inserts as they too were battered. Did that by hand.

IIRC I paid about ?40 for those. The hollow Kooka ceramic BB cost more than the cranks  :LolLolLolLol:

Any way when I built my GT I spent an awful lot of money on it, but couldn't find any cranks I liked. It too is ISIS, it currently runs these arms and spider.

I mean they are OK, being CNC machined and all (and made in the UK) but it is time to upgrade. Don't worry, the micro gearing has long gone and I had a new back wheel built with a race hub that's sealed.

So here is what I bought.

I am going to sand off all of the clear coat and the logos. Get them to plain carbon. Then I will decide whether to use decals or leave them plain.

Got a new 48t ring too.

So all in all it will be a nice weigh shave.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Refinishing carbon cranks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:38 AM »
I like the look of those. :daumenhoch:

Slightly off-topic but I keep seeing non-bmx cranks (including carbon ones) and often think about putting them on a 20" but then start worrying about getting the right spindles, BBs and chainwheels, and give up on the idea. ::)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old guy on the Crupi!! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I like the look of those. :daumenhoch:

Slightly off-topic but I keep seeing non-bmx cranks (including carbon ones) and often think about putting them on a 20" but then start worrying about getting the right spindles, BBs and chainwheels, and give up on the idea. ::)

It's actually really easy tbh. My GT was a BB30, but came with a euro sleeve. As soon as you press that in the world is your oyster. With race bikes now there really isn't such a thing as BMX cranks tbh. They are all pretty much the same as a mountain bike. What I like about these FSA is they are single ring bolts only. So no lugs sticking out the back side. You just remove the dual ring set up and put on a single ring.

Carbon cranks are just so light dude. It's absolutely mental tbh. Like, my PK Ripper fixed came in weighing 19lbs stock. However, it had a set of 4130 BMX cranks on it ffs. With a solid spline. I don't know why, because it sure wasn't a BMX !

It's much more of a BMX now but it's still a flying machine. Good thing was the 19mm Euro BB costs about ?30, so I put that to work on other frames. That now has a ceramic hollow Kooka BB and the weight loss was enormous. I mean sure, my wheels are pretty heavy but then I am a fat ass and that is the only thing that really worried me about riding such a light machine.

My Standard runs American - Euro with a 19mm BB, as will my Fat Boy (well, American - euro - square taper). Most race bikes now are using the external cartridge, with raceface or what not arms and a single speed sprocket.

The only mistake I have made thus far was buying a stupidly wide ISIS BB that just would not work. Turns out it was for a trials bike. Still, it gave me an excuse to whack it apart and take a good look at how it works  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Phase one complete. That was horrible. Took me about an hour of solid sanding.

Need a clean, then touch ups then clear etc.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:22 PM »

I usually hate shiny carbon. But I saw them when they were wet and they looked killer.

Just need to repaint the pedal bosses and touch up the back of the drive side, job's a goodun. Not bad for less than ?60.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 05:40 PM »
Lovely job.  :4_17_5:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Thanks. Odd you posted today !

I just literally took them up to the loft for fitting soon.

I ordered a chain ring from China. You can bet how that went (it didn't). Must remember to grab one from the UK.

Online Picklez

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
    • My Other Life
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 08:23 PM »
yeah, they've turned out really nice. Good skills as always  :4_17_5:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Midschoolfool

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:11 PM »
I managed to find a chain ring in the UK.

It's 44t but that doesn't matter too much. So hopefully soon I can finish the GT too. That would be nice.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Those cranks came out great! When you get fed up with them and fancy a(nother) change, please lmk as I might well have another home for them in the form of my recently acquired GT! Keeping them in the family, as it were! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old guy on the Crupi!! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Refinishing carbon cranks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx