gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 26, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop skyway axle /spindle
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Repop skyway axle /spindle  (Read 1880 times)

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Repop skyway axle /spindle
« on: September 27, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Guys , might be a stupid question this sorry , but am I correct in assuming I can fit any axle /spindle in a skyway with sealed bearings , they dont have a dedicated type ?? Yes ? , thanks chris
keep it on the blackstuff baby, aww fook it

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Repop skyway axle /spindle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Anybody advise please ????

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Hi,

Whilst I can not say for 100%, as I've no experience with sealed-bearing tuffs, it does look like you're correct:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392278020947?var=0

in that, it appears the rebuild kits are just provided with wholy threaded 3/8th diameter axles, suitable 'lock nuts' and a centre sleeve.

So, i'd assume if you have the central sleeve already, and ensure the replacement axle is the right thread pitch for your lock nuts/wheel nuts (24 or 26TPI), then yes, any axle of the right length will do. The rebuild kit mentioned above states a 175mm axle, but I'd imagine you'll get away with anything greater than 150-160mm.

If you've not yet got any lock nuts/wheels nuts yet, then you're more open to sourcing an axle with either thread size, assuming you can also find the same thread size for the lock nuts/wheels nuts, which should be easy enough.

i.e. buy something like this, then remove the supplied cone nuts and spacers, and (if you have it) run the Skyway central internal spacer. All done for ?5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Cro-Mo-Front-Rear-Axle-3-8-10mm/324053157009?hash=item4b7312c491:g:UpwAAOSwAeBeLCz3

you could even then also add a couple of extra lock nuts for safety (good idea) for an extra ?1.75 (once you've confirmed the corresponding thread pitch of the axle kit is the same - email the seller and ask before purchasing):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-CYCLE-BIKE-3-8-WHEEL-AXLE-BEARING-CONES-15mm-LOCK-NUTS-PAIR-REPAIR/133528400425?hash=item1f16e9b229:g:tDcAAOSwX59fbLOt

Others may come along and provide better advice (we're quite good like that on here  :daumenhoch:), but this approach should work out ok IMHO.

Good luck.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Awesome dude thanks , yeah I saw those on bay , no I have no sleeve /nuts nothing whatsoever bar bearings in wheel , I will go with axle  n nuts u recommended  , really helpful thanks again 👊
Superb knowledge on this forum

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Repop skyway axle /spindle

gfxgfx
gfx gfx