gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975498 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 03:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Your pennies worth
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Your pennies worth  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Your pennies worth
« on: October 12, 2020, 12:09 AM »
So the Peugeot Freestyler arrived  from France. She is a bit rough and needs some tlc.  I have a few ideas but wondered what you guys would dream up for this budget build ? Before replying, scrap it or send it back to France, play nice kiddies  :LolLolLolLol:
You have probably gathered by now I'm not one for refinishing frame sets or painted parts etc, although swapping some parts out is cool  :daumenhoch:
The mags have cleaned up better than I thought but the rear still shows some brake rub, they run really smoothly though. The tyres were binned but I have some used white freestylers. Not sure on the bars tbh and they have peeled bad in one place, same for the stem but I have my eye on something. The sprocket is rusted and peeling, that's going. The seat rails have cleaned up ok. The post has patina but I could live with that. The brakes are ok if moody nippons are your thing.

So what would you do to freshen up this old girl ?   :popcorn:

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:52 AM by Chilli Rinse »
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Your pennies worth
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 12:10 AM »
More pics...

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 12:11 AM »
Last pic...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:50 AM »
I think she's cool as a survivor. Personally I'd strip the whole bike down and give everything a citric acid bath to remove all the rust, give the mags a good seeing to removing all the brake rub and then maybe go down the hairdressers peroxide cream route if you want them brighter and whiter and then just hunt down some survivor white tyres and stick her back together  :daumenhoch:

That's my 2 peneth  :)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:27 PM »
I think she's cool as a survivor. Personally I'd strip the whole bike down and give everything a citric acid bath to remove all the rust, give the mags a good seeing to removing all the brake rub and then maybe go down the hairdressers peroxide cream route if you want them brighter and whiter and then just hunt down some survivor white tyres and stick her back together  :daumenhoch:

That's my 2 peneth  :)

Cheers John, mmmm some food for thought!
Definitely a survivor build for her. One thing I have already are the survivor white tyres. I was thinking maybe a 3 piece crank set up, I have a shimano 600 laying about, not sure it suits though and not sure if it came with the right bottom bracket. Cooler twin bars and treat her to a rotor stem set up. I have seen some freestylers running Mx 1000 brakes, I have some laying around too. Still mulling it all over in my little pea brain  :idiot2:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 03:30 PM »
I agree with John, a sympathetic resto using as many original parts as possible.

I would swerve the 3 piece route, as I feel that this would ruin its Kay's Catalogue - pay 99p over 104 weeks, Council charm that it's got.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 03:57 PM »
I agree with John, a sympathetic resto using as many original parts as possible.

I would swerve the 3 piece route, as I feel that this would ruin its Kay's Catalogue - pay 99p over 104 weeks, Council charm that it's got.

Cheers and  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Those cw rep bars are cool,keep the opc as only 3 piece cranks seen bitd worthy and strong enough for freestyle were flites,I like all the copy parts redline type stem,copy Nippon etc I'd prob restore them all best I could but may even treat f+fs to a wacky neon new paint job,that's my 2 penarth lol

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Those cw rep bars are cool,keep the opc as only 3 piece cranks seen bitd worthy and strong enough for freestyle were flites,I like all the copy parts redline type stem,copy Nippon etc I'd prob restore them all best I could but may even treat f+fs to a wacky neon new paint job,that's my 2 penarth lol

Thanks Carl, you and Dan have spoken sense on the 3 piece   :bow:  maybe I do need to keep this as simple as possible. Yeah the bars are cool enough to live with.  Although, as much as I like the had a hard life look, fresh paint all around for a change, maybe.  ::)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:51 PM »
I have just discovered the bars have ITM plugs in so assume they like the stem are ITM  :coolsmiley:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 07:32 PM »
Interesting bike  fistblump

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Interesting bike  fistblump

Cheers, has a touch of the ugly duckling about her but I thought so too. I didn't jump in totally blind, found only one example on the museum, naturally submitted by a French member. I thought they could have been so pony, none survived, or they didn't sell well, or maybe a combination of both. So I took a chance. Check out the museum link, not a lot of info though

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/peugeot/67009

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 07:54 PM »
I did find this though... she has a flasher brother, all rotored up  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:03 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 12:08 PM »
I just found the original catalog she was featured in on eBay, so I had to grab it  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Cool  8)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54 PM »
So I finished stripping the old girl yesterday. All head set parts apart from the bearings and cages were rusty so I popped them in an apple cider vinegar bath, no rust now just pitting scars. Whilst handling the frame and forks I discovered some nasties, I knew about the rust and loss to the weird plastic like paint and damaged decals but not what I found. I think one too many vinos were had by whoever made this frame. I knew this was not too notch craftsmanship but I was not expecting this. I love the dead balls accurate positioning of the chain stays on the bb shell. More so, I love the creativity of cutting the seat tube decal so it did not wrinkle when it was applied over a giant welding snot that was painted over. She is definitely just getting a clean up and then put back together. Check out the pics.

Have you seen worse  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Forgot to mention... as cool as the og pedals are, they are cracked and unserviceable. So I bought some very cheap Wellgo pedals that will do the trick.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Is it me or is the frame exactly the same as the Bercy Masters you have?! the workmanship in the 80's was shocking in some cases as demand was SO high!! x3 on the opc definitely !
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 12:02 PM »
Is it me or is the frame exactly the same as the Bercy Masters you have?! the workmanship in the 80's was shocking in some cases as demand was SO high!! x3 on the opc definitely !

Definitely staying with the OPC Damo. At first glance they look very similar but the Masters is a much better frame set, part crmo. The Pug is a real tank so must be all hi ten, the oversized down tube must add quite a bit of weight. The headstock must be over 1/8 inch thick. Chunky stuff. The Masters has a nice arched one piece support to the standing platform tubing and the Pug is a bit more basic. The Pug also has integrated rear peg threads and the Masters has standers. If the Pug had the quality of the MBK I would be a lot happier. She's still cool regardless of the 80's rush job fabrication.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:05 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I might have to go for one of these to get this build rolling "nono"

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 03:30 PM »
I would fully restore that.

I know every one else says otherwise, but that's my 2p. Basically it's not a crazy rare bike, and thus I doubt many would care if it's restored or a survivor. I would file off that welding snot too before getting it powdered.

I say this because it's pretty much all there, and as I said not terribly desirable. These are the bikes to have fun with, not keep original. That's why I would also put on a 3pc, because 0pc sucks balls.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 03:50 PM »
I would fully restore that.

I know every one else says otherwise, but that's my 2p. Basically it's not a crazy rare bike, and thus I doubt many would care if it's restored or a survivor. I would file off that welding snot too before getting it powdered.

I say this because it's pretty much all there, and as I said not terribly desirable. These are the bikes to have fun with, not keep original. That's why I would also put on a 3pc, because 0pc sucks balls.

Thanks for your comment, some more food for thought and some good points. I agree about the desirability and also that no one would truly be bothered if she was refinished. I agree on the fun factor too, this was never going to be an epic resto project. The snot would go for sure if I got her refinished, not sure if the expense can be justified though and they're only og once. Time will tell I guess.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:52 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2020, 05:21 PM »
I would go with the original yellow too.  :)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 05:41 PM »
I would go with the original yellow too.  :)

The purple version is cool too. I've looked for a set of decals with no joy and enquired in France,  with Del's site still being down I assume he isn't doing any sets, especially custom sets. So I think it's looking like a put her back together job. I did find these decals which are an 80's Peugeot design (in several different colors), not bmx though, they do look funky enough for a freestyler but she needs her proper decals I reckon.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Your pennies worth

gfxgfx
gfx gfx