gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 11:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bastudhole
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: bastudhole  (Read 2668 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
bastudhole
« on: December 23, 2020, 06:21 PM »
FFS.

After all of the crap I have gone through recently with ma's fall and all that bollocks I figured today that I was lonely and bored enough to do some wrenching. Gathered up the parts for my GT (apart from the Crupi stem I have um, misplaced  :rant: ) and made my way up into the loft.

Removed the cranks.

Go to fit the, and I effing quote "FSA Superlight hollow carbon ISIS crank set" and guess what? it doony fookin fit  :rant: so I spent ages trying to get them on there, then compared the ISIS cranks to these. Not even close, not even within a mile. So WTF? are they wrecked inside? No, not quite. They aren't FACKING ISIS. They are YET ANOTHER BB type. "Octalink". And guess what? Octalink in 68 113 are quite hard to find and thus expensive. I wouldn't even friggin mind so much if I didn't have a Kooka hollow ceramic bearing one in there that cost me about eighty quid.

So for now I am screwed. So here are some pics of the bike, as this one is the lesser spotted of all my bikes.

Carbon TEH EVERYFING

I have ordered a Octalink BB. What other choice did I have? ugh. Coming to you sometime in February, knowing my luck !

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: bastudhole
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Yaaaaaasssssssssss

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Looking good 👍

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Nice looking bike - Good job  explosion

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:50 AM »
Does look very nice.  8) Liking the stem.  :)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Thanks chaps. Yeah, she's a beaut. I over did it with purple tyres and it looked totally stupid but it's far more refined now. Looking forward to the leg burn, providing this year isn't another total washout.

Edit. Oh yeah, I realised I would have an issue with the cranks too. My cranks that were on there are 104 BCD, so nothing on them can be used. However, when I looked at the BB I noticed it was also 113. Which is not what a BMX likes. You are supposed to use a 108, but that never existed on Octalink. So I looked at how I had set up my CNC cranks (these ones)

I tried to set it up 30-8 but because of the dropped drops it wasn't liking it. However, when I went to 48-16 I kept the bash ring on there for two reasons. Firstly if you fit the drive ring on the inside it brings it in 5mm (as the spider is 5mm alu) and secondly it kept my trousers out of the drive ring. Meaning no ripped trousers, and no looking like a belmet riding with your bottoms tucked into your sock.

So I got that. If I just move the ring to the inside it will look poo, plus that will stop me ripping my bottoms.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 07:18 PM by Midschoolfool »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:59 PM »
I think the BB has arrived. Obviously I am not there to check, but I didn't have anything else going to mum's house.

That will be a relief. Can't wait to get this built now.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Good news! Looking forward to seeing this "finished"!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:11 PM »
Coming along nicely - glad you found the stem ! Good luck with the crank set-up !  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 04:46 PM »
She's done.

Roll on spring !

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 05:16 PM »

Looks fast  >:D

:daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Oh it's a weapon. I need to weigh it really.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Not my era of preference, but turned out great.  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 09:56 PM »
Not my era of preference, but turned out great.  :daumenhoch:

I would have absolutely nothing to do with it. But.

It's the one our girls and boys rode in the 2012 Olympics. So I kinda fell in love with it then and wanted one for years after.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12 PM »
Love it!! There's so much funky stuff going on with this bike - which I mean in a good way!! BOTM candidate for me! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 01:41 PM »
This bike (I would imagine like every one us guys have) does have a story. I was poking around on BMX sites and had to rub my eyes when I saw the frame for ?230. Less than half price.

That was the day it arrived. Oh what a fine day  :LolLolLolLol: If you have not seen one in the flesh? it's a wonderful frame. Not a GT boy myself, but It tell you this thing is a work of art. It's hydro formed, so they basically put fat thick tubes into a mould and then inject them with uber high pressure water. That way there is no heat involved. But the details are just staggering.

When you look up close? it's not as plain as it looks. These decals wrap the whole front end, but are very subtle.

Almost like some sort of tribe art.

I originally built it on the cheap. Cheap Alex rims, non sealed hubs, a pair of LG I got for ?45 on Ebay etc.

Those are Sunday Saker cranks I took from a parts bike I bought. The Crupi snowflake, at that time, was the most expensive single part on the bike  :LolLolLolLol: I wanted it done, and I rode the crap out of it that summer.

Vocal Neptune bars (very very heavy) and a cheap GT stem.

Those two years (17 and 18) I was riding that up and down the 5 mile path every day, then doing Southsea at the weekends with a mate. Then I took two bad slams and retired again. But I just wanted this bike to be killer, and not with the cheap crap. Which turned out to be a mistake, because it was a ton of aggro. I'm not a light guy (I usually hover around 15 stone) and I didn't want those skinny race wheels. I wanted a street set of rims, with a freewheel on the back. That turned out to be extremely difficult to do, as no one makes a freewheel hub for 36h. By chance I found the sealed hub on Ebay for something stupid like ?15 and jumped on it. The Runaway rim was on sale for about ?15 also. Then I took it to Chi and got it laced.

Nice body, but totally not for a BMX. So I had to take it apart, get out the vernier and adapt and convert it to work on a BMX. Meaning cutting the spacers, flipping the axle around and so on.

And then one beautiful and very hot summer day...

Down at ESP in Chichester.... I was sat at a coffee bar across the way. Two hours later, and...

And that was where I became obsessed with every minor detail. The bars went.

Those are so bloody light. Beautiful chrome too.

And three nearly four years later it is as you see it now. The specs.

GT Speed Series 2016 frame.

Bombshell F1 carbon fork
SNAFU Scotty Cranmer butted bars
SNAFU CNC bar ends
Crupi "I Beam" stem
Odyssey purple trans grips
Hope tapered adapter
Hope headset
Front wheel - Stranger Orbis rim laced to Spotlight Superstar hub
Rear wheel - Alienation Runaway laced to sealed freewheel hub
Cranks - FSA Superlight hollow carbon
BB - Shimano Octalink
44t chainring (retro style) with machined alu guard
Superstar Nano X pedals
Tioga stolen staggered tyres
RXL carbon seat post with RXL full carbon seat
Carbon quick release clamp
TRP Donnie Robinson V brake with carbon lever and stiffener
SNAFU Astroglide cable

Yeah, I totally got carried away. Do I regret it? sort of. I regret getting that involved. Not because of the money, because it really wasn't too bad. I got everything cut price, or as part of bundles etc. It was just the time it takes to wait for the parts to come up. It took me 9 months to find those Bombshell forks. There were a few around for ?100 or so, but they were all battered. Patience pays off, because I paid ?45 for those and they are almost flawless.

But I do miss riding it. A lot.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  bastudhole

gfxgfx
gfx gfx