gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 01:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crankworks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Crankworks  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Crankworks
« on: April 04, 2023, 11:50 PM »
I've been playing around with bmx cranks recently! First off, I thought the white, 2-piece DK cranks that I picked up last year would look good on my Crupi, so the gold Promax HF-2s came off and the DKs went on. Secondly, I decided to tidy up the Shimano DXRs on my UB2. I therefore took them off and put the Promax ones on as a temporary replacement plus I'd also been curious to see how the gold matched the rest of the bike. I must admit that I like 'em, and they have the added bonus of being 100g lighter than the DXRs. I'm not sure that this'll be a permanent change, but I intend to at least give the new set-up a track test, if not a race. :daumenhoch:

The third and final job was to clean up the well-used DXRs. I thought a quick sanding and polish would do the trick but was quickly proved wrong, as there were a number of stubborn marks and places that took way longer to smooth out than planned. After more hours than I care to count, several pieces of 400, 800, 1,500 and 4,000 grit sandpaper and a dollop or three of Peek's polish, I'm fairly happy with the result. They're not a mirror finish, though I wasn't after that. My aim was to make them more presentable than they were, which they now are. I know you only get out what you put in, and I'm sure I could do a better job with more time and patience but man, what a ball-ache that was!! Thumbs down
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Crankworks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 11:55 PM »
More pics of the HF-2s on the GT and the DXRs post-Peeks! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 06:27 PM »
If that GT ever gets stolen it was ME.  :LolLolLolLol:

That thing just makes me sit here and grin like an idiot, kinda like this  :smitten:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 11:14 PM »
Same here, mate, same here. I'm sure all the ones that survived are used as wall-hangers and not ridden, let alone raced but I love riding and racing mine. Aside from the Marmite looks and novelty (not to mention monetary) value, it actually handles really well, at least for me and my riding level. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Crankworks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx