gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 08:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Use it or lose it ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Use it or lose it ?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Use it or lose it ?
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:47 PM »
Hi guys, hope you are all good !

I have two quick questions for you...

1. On my Freemaster build I am using Clark's Power Glide cables, they have a stepped metal cable end that slips into the barrel adjuster. It fits in the stationary rotor cup nicely, my question is... is it a good idea to use it to keep the cable run from the rotor nice and straight or will it put extra stress on the rotor cup because it's not a flexible cable outer being inserted ?

2. I have a spare pair of Weinmann semi auto adjusters, I am going to be running Potts mod front and a rotor to rear, my question is... shall I use them or is it not the done thing on freestyle build and maybe best to keep it simple ?

Silly questions I know but I'm nearly ready to fit my cables.

Thanks
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Use it or lose it ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:16 PM »
Question 2 partly answered seeing as I found the freestyle version of the adjuster  :idiot2:

Should I bother though ?

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Hey Toby,

Never run a rotor, or gyro, but any chance of a picture zoomed out? On the one hand I'd say stick with the Powerglide cable end, as it will help keep the cable straighter from the rotor part down through the top cup and into the initial part of the cable. However, it does also depend somewhat on what the radius of the resulting  bend in the cable looks like 'downstream' of the rotor cup area I suppose  :-\.

As for the front brake, are you talking about the conventional adjuster or one of the freestyle ones, that still mount on the upper calliper arm but designed for the potts mod setup? In either case there appears to be two schools of thought. 1. remove, fit a more conventional adjuster on the lower arm and pinch bolt in the upper arm, to minimise as much flex as possible (and from an engineering perspective that should result in very slightly better braking efficiency - but remember we're talking about 80's BMX brakes so that's minimal anyway  :LolLolLolLol:). Whereas the other school of thought is keep the Weinmann in, either using the conventional one upside down on the lower arm and a pinch bolt in the upper, or a conventional adjuster in the lower arm (or the male part inserted in the quick release) and the potts mod type Weinmann on the upper arm.

Phew, and breath, hope that makes some form of sense  :LolLolLolLol:.
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:20 PM »
lol, teach me to post even when warned someone's updated the thread whilst I've been writing  :daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 10:44 PM »

I knew I?d seen a different version of the adjuster, then I remembered it was on your Changa.

Yes, that all makes sense Pete, thanks,  still not sure if this builds warrants them on it. My thinking on the cable end was the same as yours, should work better with the cable being pulled down straight before the cable starts to bend. Here's a shot of how the swoop on the cable would look. I have gone by the paint rub from the og cable. Not too pretty but I have seen worse and the cable runs smoothly in this position.

My colour scheme has now been divulged  :LolLolLolLol: damn  ;D pink on white  fistblump
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:26 AM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:22 PM »
Hey, as we know Toby I'm no expert, but looks good to me my friend. Now send it over here before final fit up & I'll polish the end to within an inch of its life for you  :LolLolLolLol:.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:33 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: cheers Pete, it would be the brightest thing on the bike, including the rider  :whistle:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:35 PM »
There's a problem with the front cable run too  :LolLolLolLol:
I will fill you in tomorrow, you'll love this one  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 11:48 PM »
Front cable run bother...

I unpacked the rear Power Glide cable to be used for the Potts mod set up. Just my luck it's too fat to squeeze in the hollow stem bolt. I didn't even think too check the thickness against the og cable. I am not running the cable through the bolt without an outer, so it looks like a lot of sodding about cutting a section of the og cable to for that section. Not ideal but that's the solution I'm going with. This project needs to get finished, it's starting to give me grief  :crybaby:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 10:25 PM »
This project needs to get finished, it's starting to give me grief  :crybaby:

I suspect every one of us on here has felt this at some point! ;D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 08:57 PM »
This project needs to get finished, it's starting to give me grief  :crybaby:

I suspect every one of us on here has felt this at some point! ;D

You don't know the half of it...

It's gone from slightly griefing me to next level f**king annoying.
Started on the brakes today, total nightmare ! They are both not returning once the lever is pulled. I think it's a combination of very stiff nos levers and fatigued caliper springs, even though they are nos. Checked the caliper set up, they are tensioned fine and return well until hooked up. The cable barrels were greased ready for action too ! I will take the levers off tomorrow and see what's going on with them. What a palaver. This bike is getting photographed and entered in botm whether the brakes are dialed in or not !
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:59 PM by Chilli Rinse »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Use it or lose it ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx