gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
971576 Posts in 138412 Topics by 6089 Members - Latest Member: Streetboss April 13, 2021, 10:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  STA upgrades.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: STA upgrades.  (Read 551 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
STA upgrades.
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Built this at the end of my tenancy a couple of years back. Put on some cheap parts because it cost more than I thought it would (don't they all  :LolLolLolLol: )

Brake cost me ?100. I love taking NOS things out and using them. And yeah, it's filthy. I rode it for a year before I put it away  :slayer:

OK so before. The seat clamp has cracked (so it's FUBAR) and I don't like it.

NOS SNAFU Armstrong stem, SNAFU hex seat clamp, SNAFU grips and etc (all period correct NOS). Profile GDH and a Fishbone XUFO. I don't want to talk about what it all cost me  :LolLolLolLol:

As I said, this thing is filthy. When I get done I will clean it. This took me about two hours (star nut fun, it was too deep in the fork).

And now I just spent another hour dialling it in. Only to realise the sodding XUFO is not only upside down but it's back to front too  :nickswan: So I have to tear it all apart again tomorrow. I also had to flip the Pitbull, and take the entire front end apart. Only to have to do it all again tomorrow  :nickswan:

Seat and post was about the only thing that went well.

After tossing it around for about four hours my back is done. She's a bit of a fatty, like. Will go back up tomorrow and pretty much start again  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: STA upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 03:01 PM »
I don't like being beaten. Another one done for now. Going to remove the Skyway grip savers, but didn't have the screwdriver I need.

Will either hunt down some proper decals or make them come Spring.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 04:12 PM »
 :daumenhoch:  gota love an STA,  contemplated having NS version made , or a 250  :chin:   couldn't decide  ;D

got a blue fishbone ufo, used but in goos nick, should you be  interested? 

may be wrong on this but does snafu armstrong stem have a single clamp bolt?  got a single clamp bolt,  nos one and thought that was an armstrong?   

Offline Midschoolfool

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:45 PM »
On the stem? no idea. That is what I was told it was on my DB NG when I asked on BMX Museum. I have a graphite coloured one on that, it's exactly the same. They may have used the same name on others though.

My buddy has a modern Standard. 250L? something like that. The L stands for light apparently.

He swore by it. At the time I was riding a Proper BSH, but I had a bad stack on it and realised when fixing it that it was heavy and the back end was too short. I was going to get a Standard, S&M or T1 (like a new school ride) but a Metal Kizz fell into my lap last year and after riding it it's the best bike I have ridden. It's really light, has all of the modern manners but retains the slightly longer back end. This is good, as I don't like falling on my arse any more.

Thankfully I don't need any more parts now. I've literally got every last part for my next project and the one after (if I decide to take it on, it's only a cheap Goose). I only wanted the XUFO on it as my original STA had one on it.

Same thing with the blue Skyway grip savers... Back then all I had was my bike, and working on it used to crush the grips. So I found those in the basement of the shop I used to work in and not only were they good for keeping the bike stable upside down when I was working on it but also served as fantastic knuckle protectors if you had to swerve around someone and hit a lamppost (as I found out).

Gonna take those off though. I have a stand now and all that.

Oh yeah, that's not my buddy (well, it is...) but Ephraim Catlow on my buddy's bike.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:49 PM by Midschoolfool »

Online Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:41 PM »
She's a bit of a fatty, like.

That's ^^^ why I love this site! I check out the Museum every day but... it's just not British!  :Great_Britain: :daumenhoch:

Anyway, back to BMX, I like the changes you made. Thank f**k you got rid of that circus seat as well. :-*
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=182215.msg1828811#msg1828811
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old guy make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Seems I have a sick pitbull :(

Look at the back of the cam pins. Something missing.

Only way I can think to fix it is to get my buddy to machine new pins with screw on ends. Bastard ! I was so close to putting it away too :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  STA upgrades.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx