gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 04:45 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose Pro Class
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mongoose Pro Class  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Mongoose Pro Class
« on: February 13, 2021, 09:04 PM »
Bought this Mongoose Pro Class a few weeks back. No original finish left. What I thought might have been remnants of it were where the nickel itself had actually perished and come off leaving the bear metal showing through. So the frame is going for restoration. Not sure on what route I'm going down yet but I think it's going to be having the frame re nickel plated then have some nickel bar testers done with option of finishes to choose from.
I?d had an mx900/mx1000 + tech 3 brake set chromed and the earlier pads made as a change option for my Cali but they are now going on this. This is getting stripped , the rims are off for chrome then the wheels are getting rebuilt on black suzue sealed hubs. The bars, stem, grips and pro class power disc /chainring from my Cali will be used.
1983-mongoose-Pro-Class" border="0

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Mongoose Pro Class
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:14 PM »
I want to use fork decals like those on the mock up in the early catalogue as I think they'll look pretty awesome on the finish.
82-83-mongoose-catalogue-pro-class-mock-up-pic" border="0

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Decals arrived and I think those fork decals could be a nice addition, if not they can always come off but looking at them I think they will look pretty smart the prismatic edge needs trimming off but looking forward to seeing them on the frame when refinished. Basically the intention for this build is nice rider and it will replace my Cali in my rider line up.
Mongoose-Pro-Class-decals" border="0

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:42 PM »
Seat needed decals, thanks to the decal master del.
Viscount-aero-Bmx-aero-side-decal" border="0
Viscount-aero-seat-rear-mongoose-decal" border="0

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:55 PM »
Love the headset on that catalogue pic. Mongoose chrome headset with black cups. I've got some og 80's black cups that were left in an old kuwi frame I had and I have the mongoose stamped headset. I'm using the ESP copy stem I have on my Cali because although there's one on this pic the bike actually came with a pro class stem, I've found when running pc bars you need a xxl stem so you can pull the bars back enough otherwise they feel shite as they have a negligible rake. The flex fighter I'm going to use will be a chromed jam buttie, my little hat tip to the Ruffell pc 😁 as he sported one on his.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:59 PM by Glynnyboy »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:24 PM »
Glynn, great find this is going to be killer. Lovely parts haul on her too. Looking forward to seeing this come together, your work is always inspiring.  :popcorn:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 11:10 PM »
Glynn, great find this is going to be killer. Lovely parts haul on her too. Looking forward to seeing this come together, your work is always inspiring.  :popcorn:
Thanks mate. We all have our own slant on stuff. I haven't seen a dark pro class build that's truly knocked my socks off more than a few of the rarer chrome ones. I'm sure this won't be every ones cup of tea. Things I'm wrestling with but fancy doing are the fork decals and although the 84 did have a pro class power disc it looks like a normal chainring and not the familiar takagi one that appeared with the disc on the 85 Cali range. I thought  balls to it though I'm not after show with this and these changes I just fancy on my rider, we'll see how it pans out  :coolsmiley:
I'm promising my self a few photos of this and my nearly completed HLT build. I think seeing  the mongoose and diamond back top range offerings together would be nice to see. Hopefully both will be set for the summer.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Very nice.  :) Can't wait to see finished.  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 07:18 PM »

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 07:49 PM »

Are these from Mongoose?  :daumenhoch:
Those are yes mate. Apparently really difficult to recreate and apparently used on another model but also used in that early mock up.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 10:41 PM »
One of my (many) dream bikes bitd! :smitten:

I know and appreciate that I can't see the bad spots in that first pic but man, the frame looks great as it is!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 01:35 AM »
One of my (many) dream bikes bitd! :smitten:

I know and appreciate that I can't see the bad spots in that first pic but man, the frame looks great as it is!! :daumenhoch:
Yeah that's what I thought and hoped. There's a big peel on the other side where the down tube meets the headtube. No nickel left on the inside of the rear dropouts or the matchbox, some missing off the bb and also the brake bridge and dotted about peeling in other spots. If it had been as good as it looks in that pic I?d have been well chuffed. Sadly not on closer inspection. I was hoping to just change a few parts over , clean it up and off we go, if it had been leftover finish and not peel I?d have done that. It deserves protection imo when the nickel has peeled its crossed the line for me . I?d have rather not pumped any mor money into it to be honest but I know I'll be glad when it's finished.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 01:41 AM by Glynnyboy »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 01:42 PM »
Close to my dream 80s bike (the loop Supergoose that looked pretty much identical).

Looking forward to seeing this get done !

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 05:39 PM »
My absolute dream bike BITD and I did a few when I was collecting o/s a while back. The problem with the smoked chrome finish was it was just too delicate, so a decent chrome one sounds the right way to go  :coolsmiley:

Will be keeping an eye on this mate, I do enjoy your builds  :smitten:
Still limping......

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 08:57 PM »
I love a pro class and I like the builds you do so this will be a winner explosion

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 09:15 PM »
My absolute dream bike BITD and I did a few when I was collecting o/s a while back. The problem with the smoked chrome finish was it was just too delicate, so a decent chrome one sounds the right way to go  :coolsmiley:

Will be keeping an eye on this mate, I do enjoy your builds  :smitten:
I only know of one place that replicates the finish metal wise, a place in oz but the frame isn't doing a round the world trip. The frame will be getting re nickel plated then I'm getting a few nickel bars with testers of translucents to replicate it with a candy. The finish on my Raleigh cruiser was the same as the pro class and I got that very close. Sadly with that been 10 year ago that finish is discontinued so the hunt is on.

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 09:18 PM »
I love a pro class and I like the builds you do so this will be a winner explosion
Thanks Brett, fingers crossed.

Offline Pugwash

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Thats going to look very cool indeed, I have the PC frame but no forks so hard to find  :(

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Got these coming now . Got to admit I'm even  more giddy now about it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:25 PM by Glynnyboy »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 01:36 AM »
Sexy stuff Glynn mate  :coolsmiley:

A Goose build and a Glynn build all in one..... winner  :smitten: :4_17_5:

:popcorn:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 05:38 PM »
When I got the cranks it was just spindle, bb & crank arms. That left me looking for crank caps . Had a delivery this morning, just over a week from Australia for some repo pro class crank caps. The guy at VRC cycles does some decent caps & badges to help get your pedals/ cranks up to scratch.
Also got a message back from MR Creations, the frame and forks are going in the end of March. Hopefully butts will have the rims chromed by then so I should be good for getting it all together in April 😎

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 11:22 AM »
This is going to look amazing! 8)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 01:24 PM »
As I said earlier the frame looks in better condition in those first pics than it is. I've got a date to send off to Mark Ralph now so I decided to give it a citric bath .lt's cleaned the rust off the nickle flake areas, I was impressed with the state it left the inside of the match box because that was full of rust. It gives  Mark a clean base to work his majic now. To me this definitely has crossed that survivor line and has entered the rat look region. My opinion on that is that I?d rather it be coated/restored so it's fully protected with the inside wax oiled. Although I do appreciate a good survivor I?d take a decent restoration over a ratter any day. After all back in the day I never dreamed of owning the history in 40 years time , it was the bikes I saw on the pages of bmx action bike that I wanted.

642-E2-AA8-C6-B7-4788-87-A9-25727511576-F" border="0

1-EBB1-D85-DC39-4-D33-892-C-CD6-E3-B794-C3-A" border="0

BF4493-D4-CA3-A-480-B-A4-EA-2-C9-B62-E77-E72" border="0

B16-E3-D87-4-BEA-40-E9-B03-D-F0696143-A2-AE" border="0

DD090-E96-5-F68-4-C3-B-9-FD9-F550111-E72-EC" border="0

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 01:40 PM by Glynnyboy »

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 11:55 PM »
Got sent these pics today from Mark Ralph . He had some problems with coating the frame because of its condition. He tackled it by clear coats of resin to level out any discrepancies due to the nickel peel areas. Then the colour went on. It's going to be curing over the weekend ready to ship back to me next week.

BF3-BE1-A4-63-F8-4-A47-B34-A-332-E1-EE8942-A" border="0
F4360-B29-D745-47-D5-BD69-07-E64-FFAD5-BF" border="0

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 12:38 AM »
Sexy  :coolsmiley:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Mongoose Pro Class

gfxgfx
gfx gfx