gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975497 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 01:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Building a bike to take on track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Building a bike to take on track  (Read 5651 times)

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Building a bike to take on track
« on: March 12, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Hi all , after dabbling with mtb and pumptracks , I plan to build something to take on designated bmx track
I have a couple of frames here and loads of bits , frames are midschool and one newskool which is full cromo mongoose Taiwan which  has weight limit sticker on frame
Wud this weight limit be improved with using better quality parts or will it break no matter what!!!
I'm nowhere close to weight limit btw(way over ) and I dont mind if I kill frame cos it's not worth much , but dont fancy killing myself in process
I'm maybe ?? going to purchase alloy race f/f in future but not yet until I feel it's worth my while
I got a load of bits here that wud be a shame not to use rather than just buying a used complete bike
Dunno ? Thoughts and or advice anyone ?? Thanks chris
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:52 PM by fattaffracingco »
keep it on the blackstuff baby, aww fook it

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Re: Building a bike to take on track
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Hey Chris! First off, great to hear that you're going to hit the track. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I go, even though my back, shoulders and knees grumble and moan the next day! ;D

Secondly, imo you're highly likely to physically hit the track if you use that frame!! If there's a weight-limit sticker on there then it's most probably there for a good reason. For cruising around town maybe it would be fine but for taking the abuse that a track would give it (and you), I would say that you're asking for trouble if you ride it, especially if you're well over the weight limit. As you say, it's probably not worth buying anything else at the moment (at least until you know that you want to keep riding and even start racing), so what are those mid-school frames you've got? Tbh, if you're just starting out, almost anything goes. When I first got back into it 4 years ago, I used my '83 Laserlite! Don't knock the used bike option on the head, as you can pick up some good deals online or possibly though your local track. Failing that, some tracks may have bikes to rent. Where are you thinking of riding?

Finally, don't forget to pad up! We don't bounce like we used to plus have to drive to work the next day!! If you still have some mtb protective gear, use that (elbow pads and knee pads are a must) plus of course, a decent helmet.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to ask more questions either here or via PM. I've also posted loads of stuff in this section about my exploits over the past 4 years, which may help if you're a beginner. :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Hi Mik , yeah I have been reading your exploits  , yeah I got full pads n protection
The midskools I got are,  haro mirra 540 , Hoffman George,  and some other repainted unbranded mid frame but they are heavy !,,!!
Also the mongoose is 21 tt which was swaying me towards it ,but yeah frame is mint with nice looking welds and full cromo tubing which is why I was surprised at no stunting and weight limit stickers
Hmmm!  Ok plan b then and build a midschool
I was hoping someone was gonna say yeah all Taiwan bikes have those stickers  so ignore them
Gentle track action mind u ! Gentle !! I just want to try it and see how I fare
Like I said I may splash some cash on a race bike if I get on ok
Thanks for advice no doubt I will pick yer brains again

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 05:30 AM »
Hmmm, heavy as fook mid-school is probably not going to be much fun either. I'm curious about that goose - have you got any pics? For rolling around the track it's probably going to be ok. High speed and any jumping action less so, but at least you're kitted up with protection if things go Pete Tong! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:07 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 09:46 AM »
Hi mik, my re thinking on plan b was to use lighter new skool bits on midschool frame , alienation rims , subrosa bars n clamp , lighter crank etc etc
Mongoose frame is r90 scan , u can Google it , I will put some photos on later today

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 09:53 AM »
Hi mik ,On Google images you can see the weight/no stunting stickers on seatpost tube
Btw the mongoose frame is 1.5 kg lighter than the midskools
And whilst it might look as if I'm being mean , (which I am a little) , and ?100 for used race frame isn't the end of world , I wud like to use wot I got if possible cos its here and I got my hands on it now , kinda thing
But I cud always shift one of my mids on the bay to semi cover the costs if u think new frame /bike is way forward
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:00 AM by fattaffracingco »

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Also further investigations last nite showed that frame shape and design dont make it very friendly for traditional gearing as front large sprockets foul the frame unless loads of spacers used on crank spindle /cr arm , think it was 40t was as big as I cud go without it being /looking stupid
Which is kinda killing the mongoose dead in water tbh , altho there is a tiny bit of availability on rear gearing on Ebay but not much ,12 /13/14
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:40 AM by fattaffracingco »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Yeah, looking at the pics and reading a bit about it online, the goose is not your best bet long term but if you've never been on a track before and it's a bike you know well (ridden a lot), then I'd say it'd be fine to use just to get some laps under your belt. However, if you do want to take it further then you'd be better off getting something race-specific. & you don't have to break the bank for that. In fact Mongoose do a very good value for your money race bike called the Title, which you may be able to pick up cheaply, especially an older stock one. First thing's first though, get out there and give it a go! :daumenhoch:

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Hi mik , so wots yer thoughts ??! I've never ridden the mongoose , I ve ridden the midskool frames , but not with the wheels bars and crank I'm planning to fit
Risk it for biscuit on mongoose newskool ?? Or slow steady n heavy on midskool ??!

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:07 AM »
If you've ridden and feel comfortable on them, then slow, steady and heavy would be a good start, as in that case the only new thing is the track. Once you've got used to and enjoy riding on track, then perhaps that's the time to invest in or at least try something lighter and race-specific. :daumenhoch:

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:36 PM »
Ok !! anyways !! In between messages I have built up the mongoose newskool ,mongoose f/f , subrosa bars , unknown crank/bb it cud be the original,  colony rear rim  on maillard hub ,alienation front rim on  maillard hub, stripped mini haro seat , kmc chain (lengthened ) , subrosa 39t front sprocket, subrosa plastic pedals , kenda compact tyres , generic unknown u brake and Clarke lever , whole lot weighs in at 13kg
I must try it on track tho and keep checking frame , no bmx track is near to me , but the closest is Bristol and I have close family in Portsmouth/gosport so might try that  but I do have a few pump tracks near to me one being hard pack  gravel so we will see wots wot , and then maybe upgrade frame ??

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2021, 09:41 PM »
Depending on frame holds up , I may swap frame to a midskool but I might also upgrade to alloy race frame , dunno I'm a bit undecided tbh , i will see how my fitness and body holdup

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Great stuff! Let us know how you get on with it at the pump track. :daumenhoch:

My nearest track is 100 miles away, so I know how you feel. :tickedoff:

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Thanks mik 👍🤞

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 03:04 AM »
i finally got around to swapping the tyres from a maxxis to the kenda compacts ,now i appreciate that the tyres are thinner  which then makes the profile shorter but my god they were friggin tight going on the rim !!!! i ended up pinching the inner tube twice and had to put brand new tube in the third time , which i think is the only way forward , the tube going in must be absolutely pancake flat or the lack of room /profile will cause u to pinch it ,
normally i dont use irons to put tyres on (i rarely buy brand new tyres tho ) im normally able to flex used tyres on , but these compacts !!! kin hell , i had to use tyre soap and everything to help them slip on
just me ??? or are they normally tight or am i doing something wrong ??? i have changed quite a few tyres over the years on quite a few bikes but these were pretty tight, thoughts comments ????? er be nice tho ?? chris

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 09:37 PM »
I've never used Kenda Compacts but some of the new school tyres can definitely be real buggers to get on and off! I suspect this is due to the higher pressures being used now, so the beads have to sit tighter to the rim. I'd therefore say it's the tyres, not you! :daumenhoch:

So when's the BMX pump track and/or race track debut then??

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 02:44 AM »
hi mik, dunno tbh , we cant travel atm , but pump track on bmx soon as its close/near to me  ,dedicated race track once travel ban lifted , a nice sunny day when its quiet , kids are still in school and i would have the place to myself , just dreaming !!!! i have joined a f/b group of the said track and i need to see wots wot , opening times during summer
so far it looks like they have just one open evening in week , but its gonna be rammed (with kids ) to see an old fat guy make himself look real stupid !!
they race most weekends there i think but i aint ready for that yet , i am working on my fitness atm on my MTB

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Which track are we talking about?

Offline fattaffracingco

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:27 PM »
hi mik, sorry for slow reply , nearest track to me is llynfi which is closed atm , then bristol would be my next nearest, i had a week off a couple of weeks ago and was planning to take bike up to llynfi on the off chance i cud jump the fence and have a quick test , but family commitments got better of me and then the weather was shite , i will get there soon tho , will post my findings

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 11:33 AM »
No apologies required mate! As and when, as and when. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Building a bike to take on track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx