gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 10:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX pedals - Thoughts/knowledge required
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shimano DX pedals - Thoughts/knowledge required  (Read 2301 times)

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
Shimano DX pedals - Thoughts/knowledge required
« on: March 16, 2021, 06:19 PM »
Hi Gents,

I have a very nice set of DX pedals in Gold waiting to go on a build - However I am not totally convinced on the colour being OG or even anodised for that matter (due to the orange peel effect)  , when held next to other gold OG parts from the same era everything else is lighter in colour/strength compared to these Pedals, One is also a different shade to the other! so can you cast your eyes over the pics and tell me your thoughts.

Cheers

MrD

After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Shimano DX pedals - Thoughts/knowledge required
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:38 PM »
Pretty sure Shimano pedals weren't anodized. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 06:59 PM »
No, you can not anodise cast aluminium. It is a very tough paint finish which will inevitably lack the lustre of an anodised finish.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 07:58 PM »
No, you can not anodise cast aluminium. It is a very tough paint finish which will inevitably lack the lustre of an anodised finish.

Kind of this ^^^^^

Though I'd slightly change the sentiment of "very tough paint". You could argue the inverse, more like the paint gun looked at the pedal, accidentally sneezed and luckily a bit of paint luckily stuck on. It is basically a thin layer of paint on a pedal. As for colour, yours do look very orange, but not massively dissimilar to lots of other 'gold' dx's.

E.G.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=186590.0

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:15 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline MrD

• Curb Endo
  • Old enough to know better young enough not 2 care
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 08:15 PM »
Hi Chaps

Great  - Thanks. I'm now knowledgeable on the fact they were not anodised (I did question this myself due to the steel pins) And now backed up by Avro relating to the casting side of things - which never crossed my mind  fistblump

So based on all your input I think they're OG - but with a not so perfect paint application (totally acceptable in the early 80's - like we gave a fk back then)

And Yes Picklez - they are slightly on the orangey side which looks odd when fitted to the gold maxy cross crank they were (maybe still are) going on

Cheers all

MrD
After 80's Hutch pedal 9/16" spindles Only . Just really need the Right but i'll happily have both :-)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shimano DX pedals - Thoughts/knowledge required

gfxgfx
gfx gfx