gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975531 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 04:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fork steerer & headset top nut / head lock questions.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fork steerer & headset top nut / head lock questions.  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Hope you guys are well !

Slightly silly question, and I think I know the answer but I had to ask. I'm having an issue with the fork steerer sitting proud of a head lock I might be forced to use because the normal headset top nut wasn't reaching the keyed washer before it tightened on the top of the steerer. I'm running an ACS pro rotor too, so that would normally sit on the headset top nut, right ? Questions, do you think it's ok to let the rotor sit on the top of the steerer or is it a no no ? Should the steerer always be at least flush or lower than the top edge of the top nut or head lock ? The steerer is about 2mm proud of the headlock as per photo. I know I could cut the forks but that isn't happening, or I could use a spacer too, don't really want to though. Apparently you don't need to use the keyed washer with this Hutch head lock but I needed to use it to take up some of the gap. I think I probably shouldn't carry on with the steerer sitting proud but wanted to ask if any of you have had the same issue and how you dealt with it. Maybe another headset with a taller stack height ? What say you ?

Thanks
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Fork steerer & headset top nut / head lock questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Go with the extra washer. My '82 Floval originally came with the extra washer on the MX3 headset to make up the difference.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Go with the extra washer. My '82 Floval originally came with the extra washer on the MX3 headset to make up the difference.

Cheers dude, that is was what I was going to do. I also wanted as much of the stem shaft in the steerer as possible. It's a bit special for me and I don't want it bending. I had a rummage though, and found another headset that had a deeper adjustable race. Forgot I had it, that happens a lot with me. It worked out for the best as it is a bit better quality and the keyed washer is chromed too. The head lock was a no go too, the bottom of the rotor wasn't quite sitting on it right. There was a slight wobble because the rotor was trying to slip into the hole at the top. Sorted now. Thanks for your reply.

Stay safe  fistblump
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:20 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 09:58 PM »
OK scrap that ! It didn't work out for the better  :LolLolLolLol: After properly nipping the headset up it ran as rough hell. I think it's the adjustable race. So I've ran out of headsets to try, lucky Alan's is doing Tioga Bear Trap 2's for a score. Japanese made, it's gonna run sweet. Let's just hope there are no stack height issues to deal with.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fork steerer & headset top nut / head lock questions.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx